Pulp Hunteds...What are yours?

Pizza Man

and I have a question for GMs. Would you allow a Naga from the Beastiary as a Hunted?

Pages 361 TO 364 (6th Ed).

The base is 160 points. They can shape change to human forms. there is an option to add 60 points of magical abilities.

I like the idea of something different. In this case, the hero encounters one in India, kills it, and its mate follows the hero back to the US to exact its revenge...

nagao.jpg

nagaoverlord.jpg

in any case, whats the weirdest Hunted you've ever come across?

Re: Pulp Hunteds...What are yours?

I wouldn't use hunteds at all. I think they're too out of genre. With very few exceptions, pulp villains always faced a violent end. Consider Batman and Dick Tracy. Batman (typical comic hero) has hunteds like the Joker, the Riddler, and Catwoman. He punches them out, they go to the looney bin, escape, and repeat this scenario forever. Dick Tracy on the other hand (typical pulp hero if there is such a thing) has villains like Flat Top, the Brow, Itchy, and Screwtop. And every one of them were pushing up daisies after tangling with Tracy. Crime didn't pay with that guy.

Hunteds reduce the number of other, character-defining disadvantages the character can have. No big deal when its a supers game and you need to come up with 150-200 pts. But if you only need half that, it has a much greater impact: fewer psych/social limits.

Consider your Naga. If its a hunted, you know it can't die and the GM has to write a story that allows for its random presence. If its not a hunted, you can kill it (say throw it into the lava lake and watch its screaming, writhing body sink beneath the hot molten rock). The players will think: Good riddance. So now after several more games if you choose to bring the Naga back, its much more of a show-stopper if no one can say 'I knew it wasn't dead, its my hunted. You're better off without Hunteds.

I wouldn't use hunteds at all. I think they're too out of genre. With very few exceptions, pulp villains always faced a violent end. Consider Batman and Dick Tracy. Batman (typical comic hero) has hunteds like the Joker, the Riddler, and Catwoman. He punches them out, they go to the looney bin, escape, and repeat this scenario forever. Dick Tracy on the other hand (typical pulp hero if there is such a thing) has villains like Flat Top, the Brow, Itchy, and Screwtop. And every one of them were pushing up daisies after tangling with Tracy. Crime didn't pay with that guy.

Hunteds reduce the number of other, character-defining disadvantages the character can have. No big deal when its a supers game and you need to come up with 150-200 pts. But if you only need half that, it has a much greater impact: fewer psych/social limits.

Consider your Naga. If its a hunted, you know it can't die and the GM has to write a story that allows for its random presence. If its not a hunted, you can kill it (say throw it into the lava lake and watch its screaming, writhing body sink beneath the hot molten rock). The players will think: Good riddance. So now after several more games if you choose to bring the Naga back, its much more of a show-stopper if no one can say 'I knew it wasn't dead, its my hunted. You're better off without Hunteds.

Two things I like to point out, 1) Although your're right many pulp heroes fininshed the villian, there are those who do have a recuring villian such as Sam Smith (Fu Manchu), and Flash Gordon (Ming the Merciless). 2) There is no rule that a hunted cannot be put away permately. Please read up on paying off disadvantages. (I'm not sure what they do with complications in 6th). Certain limitation should never be bought off-say Suprman's susceptability to kryptonite. However other disadvatages can be bought off, typically hunteds, or they can be replaced, hence floating hunteds such as Dick Tracy probally has.

My Pulp HERO Character, Captain Ferguson, has the remnants of a Yakuza clan as a relatively low-point Hunted.

A while after the Great War, Ferguson was part of an effort to take down this bunch, at that time quite successful and especially objectionable even by Yakuza standards - slavery, drugs, you name it. Ferguson worked undercover on one of the clan's ships, in cooperation with some officials in Shanghai, the Hong Kong Police and the Royal Navy. The operation was a great success, but last-minute complications (involving a shipload of innocents) forced Ferguson and some like-minded allies to "improvise".

Said improvisation involved a rapid string of attacks on several clan hang-outs, leaving behind a large number of busted-up gangsters and destroyed property. It culminated in a confrontation with the clan boss in his fancy office, where Ferguson required answers to certain pressing questions. The boss provided those answers, whilst Ferguson dangled him by the ankles from a fifth-storey window. The innocents were saved, the clan was all but eliminated, and the boss met an untimely 'accident' in prison soon afterwards.

Since then, Ferguson has occasionally had to contend with occasional assassination attempts by the scattered (and shattered) remnants of this clan. Its fortunes have changed greatly in the decade or so since, and its extinction within the next few years is probable. He takes common sense precautions, but refuses to let this bunch scare him in any way - though it MAY be why he lives in the US rather than in Australia (where he'd be closer to family).

Interestingly, Ferguson also has a 'Nemesis' (no points paid, GM requirement) - the beautiful and quite deadly young woman who heads another Yakuza clan. She is very conflicted about Ferguson (as one would expect in Pulp), but views his actions towards that other clan with definite favour.