Trying again

JmOz

I have a number of ideas for a fantasy campaign, but it never seems to get far off the planning stages. As such I am going to just chip away at my ideas.

This thread will be a clearing house for ideas, my twist on things, and how to convert other systems to hero

Now to get players I will need to advertise it in D&D 3.5 terms

So my first two questions for you all is assuming 6th edition Hero, what "Level" would standard heroes be, and what would the starting range of "Level 1" players be

As a disclaimer, I am experienced enough in hero to know that it is somewhat subjective...

Re: Trying again

I have a number of ideas for a fantasy campaign, but it never seems to get far off the planning stages. As such I am going to just chip away at my ideas.

This thread will be a clearing house for ideas, my twist on things, and how to convert other systems to hero

Now to get players I will need to advertise it in D&D 3.5 terms

So my first two questions for you all is assuming 6th edition Hero, what "Level" would standard heroes be, and what would the starting range of "Level 1" players be

As a disclaimer, I am experienced enough in hero to know that it is somewhat subjective...

I would put "standard" heroes at about 5th to 7th level. Equivalent to a 150pt character.

If you assume 150pt character is equivalent to a 5th level D&D character that makes roughly 30xp per Level of experience. A lot of people around here go with 25xp per level of exp, which would make 150pt characer 6th level, which is close enough for government work. Going with 25xp per level of experience, a 20th level D&D character would be about 500pts in Hero.

I recently (a year ago) ran a Fantasy game that lasted for several months (we played weekly pretty religiously) almost a year in fact, where the characters started out at 150pts and by the end of the campaign, they were around 400pt characters. I would place them around the equivalent of a 15th level D&D character in their capabilities so I think 25xp "per level" is just about right on.

Re: Trying again

If you want to sell this to players used to D&D, its not too difficult to do a bit of comparing.

Make sure you mention 25xp "per level". Also equate D&D Feats, to Hero Combat Skill Levels, Talents and Martial Arts.

Allow mages to use a Multipower to purchase their spell casting ability. This will allow them to have a giant list of spells which is what they would be used to.

Make sure you point out the Package Deals (what are they called now in 6th?) to the players so they can find their favored character class and design accordingly.

If there is someone in your group who likes playing Monks, make sure to tell them that in HERO, Monks can be supremely badass. Like, badass beyond necessity, kind of badass. Point out the sheer awesomeness of the Hero martial arts rules. Get that guy on board and that should help you convince the others as well.