Hero System Grimoire - and a magic system to go with it.

Legendsmiths

The new Grimoire is out and it is really well done. It is designed for a higher point level than I usually start my games, but I think it is more consistent than the past 2 grimoires and brings the material together very well.

From the cover:

nearly 800 spells organized into over two dozen categories including Alchemy, Black Magic, Conjuration, Cybermancy, Divine Magic, Druidry, various types of Elemental Magic, Necromancy, Oriental Sorcery, Shamanism, Sorcery, Superheroic Thaumaturgy, Voodoo, Warrior-Magery, Witchcraft, and Wizardry

What I was looking to do, with the goal of incorporating this into my "Be a Hero" material, is to establish a very simple magical framework for using the material straight out of the book.

Without modification it works fine for a D&D 4E style game where a mage has a limited array of spells to choose from. The advantage of this approach is both simplicity and well as synchronicity with non-mages -- an archer would essentially build an "Arrow Storm" power in the same way that a mage would build a "Fire Storm" power. Perhaps this is the simplest approach. Most combat spells cost 10-20 points and movement/defensive spells cost 3-10 points. So, 2 defensive spells, 1 movement spell, and 3 offensive spells would cost about 60 points. If fighters and rogues are also building powers in a similar fashion, what you end up with is a standard character of about 100 points or so plus 60-75 points of Powers. This might actually be the best option for presenting the system to new players as it is the most direct implementation of the book.

Where you become challenged is if you try to model a more expanded spell repertoire - and maybe Hero isn't very good for that sort of thing. I don't agree with that, but it all depends on how you like the detail of your magic system.

My thought is to use the concept of Resource Points. This is a standard Hero system mechanic for managing, well, resources. The GM sets a campaign starting point and then the rate at which characters can expand their points. The points represent the resources he has on him during the adventure - his "armory" can be much larger, but for any given point in time you can only have what is in your "kit" or current point allocation. Essentially this system is an alternative to using money, although money can add realism to the system by allowing you to expand your armory without expanding your kit (e.g. you buy a new pistol but you only ever carry 1).

In a fantasy game, a resource is defined as anything that can be taken from you. This goes beyond the standard definition of the Focus limitation (i.e. something that makes a power cheaper because it requires a certain item, or focus, to use). If I take away a Focus, you get it back, for free, on the "next adventure". I can only deny you the focus in the short term (generally combat). However, if it is a resource then it can be taken away semi-permanently, like a Follower or a Vehicle. Money could then be required to replace it, enabling the restoration of the item, or you could find something to replace it. Either way you don't have the resource until it is restored in play.

If spells are considered a resource, as a combination of Spell Book (which can be stolen or destroyed), arcane bonded item (as an essential casting focus) and possibly generic consumable "spell components" I think you can then use the Grimoire straight up as well. The Spell Book represents your "armory" of spells, and can include scrolls, and other ancient texts. The arcane bonded item represents a single item that can be taken in combat, like a fighter's sword, to prevent further casting. The generic consumable components represents "ammo" that could be depleted and requires wealth to restore.

With the right XP to Resource Point conversion a couple of XP would be all that is required increase the Resource Pool ("kit") and expanding the number of spells or powers the character has available. At the same time, it allows you to use the Hero Grimoire without modification.

The impact this would have on non-spell casters is that essentially the resource pool, for them, becomes the "attunement pool" for magic items. If a fighter finds a magic sword in an adventure he can use it for the duration of that adventure and then add it to his armory for free. However, if he wants to use that on a subsequent adventure he will have to make room in his "kit" in order to adventure with it.

It's not unlike a lot of TV shows - the cast of characters always has their standard load out unless they are doing something special. If they come across an item that is extremely useful, they only ever use it for that episode and then they are back to normal. The use of Resource Points models that almost 100% with a dose of metagaming mechanics to manage it.

Thoughts?

Re: Hero System Grimoire - and a magic system to go with it.

I used Resource Points for my High Fantasy game for magical and mundane equipment and it worked reasonably well except for certain caveats. Potions and scrolls didn't fit right, for instance.

If you're going to expand the definition of the Resource Pool to include spells, then you're better off forgetting about it and just tacking the extra 70 points or so onto each character; tell them they have to buy a Resource Pool VPP, and then stringently define the limitations to reflect what you want for it.

• 2 weeks later...

When I pick up the Grimoire I'll have to keep this in mind. One thing I also keep in mind is that, when you come right down to it, there are as many meta-systems for magic in FH as there are FH campaigns. GMs and players will always try to cobble together something approaching what they are looking for individually, which is a good thing about having an expansive toolkit as your game system.

The new Grimoire is out and it is really well done. It is designed for a higher point level than I usually start my games' date='[/quote']

How so? Doesn't the new grimoire have weaker and stronger versions of each spell?

How so? Doesn't the new grimoire have weaker and stronger versions of each spell?

It does. The weaker versions are around 40 points. Most of my Fantasy Games start at 100 or less points, so even 40 point spells are powerful.

I try to align to the non-adventurer baseline. A 15 STR warrior can do about 5 DC with a weapon, so the basic wizard should be about the same... 5 DC or 25 active points.

That's just my typical campaign - obviously this is set to a much higher baseline.