Whatever happened to the Golden Avenger

baronspam

Hi all,

I am new to the forums, long time chapions player but I have been away for a couple of editions, trying to catch up on the lore and playing the online game a bit as well.

In the spirit of the "Whatever Happened to Seeker" thread that I saw, what happened to the Golden Avenger? I found references to Primus and the Silver Avengers in the Champions Online wiki, but nothing about the Golden Avenger. Many years ago when I was playing 3rd edition the Golden Avenger was a favorite heavy of sorts for our campagin. In theory a good guy, but so by-the-book and stop-that-right-there-young-man that we often ended up bumping heads with him. Is her still part of the lore? Did he catch a destroyer beam in the forehead at some point or did he just sort of retcon out fo the story?

And by the way, 6th edition looks really great. I just need to find someone to play it with. My group won't give up Dungeons and Dragons, at least for the moment.

Re: Whatever happened to the Golden Avenger

??? I missed something somewhere... (not DJ' date=' Kaufman - I thought he was deceased.)[/quote']

Kaufman's death is from previous editions. He's not listed as dead in any 6th edition book that I've seen -- I checked Champions Universe -- and he's alive and well in Champions Online, as authorized by the current license holder.

Unless Steve writes him out in a later book (and there's certainly precedence for divergence, as Violette Boudreau is listed as murdered in Champions Universe 6th edition, but alive and well in Champions Online's Demonflame pack), the safest assumption is to go with Champions Online lore, rather than directly contradicting what's in game. Whe Cryptic signs off on the divergence, then it's safe to assume it's PnP canon.

Which, of course, a GM can mangle to his heart's content.

Kaufman's death is from previous editions. He's not listed as dead in any 6th edition book that I've seen -- I checked Champions Universe -- and he's alive and well in Champions Online, as authorized by the current license holder.

Unless Steve writes him out in a later book (and there's certainly precedence for divergence, as Violette Boudreau is listed as murdered in Champions Universe 6th edition, but alive and well in Champions Online's Demonflame pack), the safest assumption is to go with Champions Online lore, rather than directly contradicting what's in game. Whe Cryptic signs off on the divergence, then it's safe to assume it's PnP canon.

Which, of course, a GM can mangle to his heart's content.

That's why I missed it - I have no access to Champions Online. *shrug* Thanks!

On a related note' date=' whatever happened to the Red Shield? Wasn't he related to Kaufman too; or was he just a random Silver Avenger turned commie?[/quote']

Lyndon Johnson Kaufman; Robert Kaufman's nephew. Most recent write-up was in the 4e Classic Organizations; I don't recall any other mention of him since the 4e PRIMUS e-book, and that was simply a nod to Classic Organizations.

There were two other Avengers who left PRIMUS in 4e - Kevin Armstrong, aka ViperX, prominently mentioned in the 4e and 5e VIPER sourcebooks as well as the 5e PRIMUS e-book and still a major element in Krait's history in 6e; and Darin Falswell, who joined Genocide and took the code name Vengeance - also mentioned in passing in the 5e PRIMUS e-book.

Not to beat a dead horse (too much...), but the lack of a 5e PRIMUS sourcebook left a lot of holes, though I understand *why* there never was one. Here's hoping that a PRIMUS sourcebook of the caliber (and general tone) of the 5e VIPER and UNTIL books will make its way into the 6e product line.

Soon. :D