Other People's Characters (and OIHID rant)

Blackout

Re: Thanks!

Originally posted by Blackout

I have no problem with people trying to get all the possible bang they can out of their character point dollar - as it were. What bothers me is when they cheese out limitations (and do bizarro power construction contortions) to get an extra 2d6 armor piercing, penetrating killing attack, and spend 3 points on a professional skill...and that's all they can do outside of comabt.

It irks me.

That's not a character, that's just an excercise in mathematics.

All of which are kinda useless when you have to rush the badly injured child to the hospital in time. Or hold back a tidal wave. Or whatever.

In some older campaigns, logical consequences of using those powers messed up the "power-monger" players. Like that time a "hero" who shall go nameless went Mach 3 in downtown... New York I think it was... shattering glass and sending the shards raining down on innocent bystanders. Even the villains would've had to pitch in to help the wounded if they weren't hurt themselves. How much worse could the consequences of some badly aimed AP penetrating HKA?

:D

Guest Keneton

ER Again!

By now you have to be sick of me saying this, but this OIHID rant is also solved by the ER or Effectiveness Rating. If you set a campaign limit of 100 ER for player chrcaters, then the OIHID guys may strt at 90-96 and the normally built guys at 75-85, but in the end they are still capped at 100 ER. The non OIHID guy will still get to the same power level in the end!

Sure for a few games Mr. OIHID will have a few more PD/ED and extra few DC, but who cares. With a cap it will all eventaully equal out.

Hre is the other thing, you can get Presence Attacked out of an instant change (yes this can happen!)

Allow the munchkin to build his OIHID guy then when he goes to change the GM has the villan presence attack Mr. El normal. Sorry you lost a phase Mr 10 Dex and 2 Speed. You dont get to go until the 6th! To bad as I push my hand kill! Cant even abort because you already were commited to the change that I spoiled!! HAHAH

Watch them ditch it then!

Also good ole mind control. "Change back!"

Mental Illusion: "Belives danger is over and its time to go back to secret ID.

Suprise Attacks: I'm coming at your guy with an Ego attack. Oh he doesnt have mental awareness while a normal. Too bad!

:cool:

Originally posted by Tech

Blackout, do all 8 to 12 people play at once? If so, how do you handle it? I have a Champions campaign with 6 experienced players and it can be a bear - and it's not because of dice rolls.

I'm not Blackout but I've run that many, prefer it actually over the 5 person group I have now, my largest group was 13 people but that only lasted 6 months. Make lots of notes, use a combat flow chart with Speeds, Defenses, everything you would need to know on the fly, like Susc/Vuln and such. Make sure to give everyone a chance to shine, no matter how minor the character may be or act. Bluebooking helps a lot, it allows a lot of roleplaying, of many people, at one time without confusion.

Make sure to have all the miniatures/stand ups/maps and such ready and know your players so you have enough combat for the combat monsters, enough rp for the plumbers, and enough for you as the GM to get something out of the game.

• 5 years later...

Re: Other People's Characters (and OIHID rant)

Blackout,

I know EXACTLY how you feel. I'm the exact same way. I HATE when other players have character builds that I deem shady (everyone reading this, please remember this is my subjective opinion, and I'm not calling any one WRONG for doing it differently).

If you really want to show them how to do it, make a character with multiform. In one form, make him an EXTREMELY efficient combat monster with things like "Not in a Vacuum" -1/2 or not in Hot and Dry conditions -1/2 or better yet combine the two. Make him outshine EVERYONE in combat. Don't give him anything that isn't directly useful in combat. The second form make him Out of Combat Man. Give him every science skill, tons of Knowledge skills, give him enhanced senses (Detect Villains, Discriminatory, Analyze). When the other players complain about how useless they are compared to you, say something off hand like "Yeah, don't you wish we all made real characters instead of a collection of points?"

Seriously though, all you can do is talk to the GM, if he doesn't want to change, you gotta put up or quit (I usually go with the latter)