Move Through with Killing Weapons

Dr Divago

hi all

i post this question here because in Fantasy there is a lot of move through with killing weapon, and also i found this problem while playing FH :)

yesterday we (me and player) where arguing about Move Through because they said "it's useless". I was pointing about MT is useless with "people who run with the sword vs an enemy" but it's useful while charging with the horse and lance.

We did an example, with a player with 18 STR, an heavy Lance (STR Min 15) and on a medium warhorse (run 10"/20")

so, STR 18/2=9 -> 6 points below Lance STR Min, so he get -2 DC and -2 OCV

horse running at top speed, is 20" with non combat movement (and i don't think he will go at NCM so far...)

he will get:

-6 OCV (-2 for STR below STR Min, maneuver add -1/5" so 20" is -4)

-3 DCV (penalities for MT maneuver)

+1 DC (-2 DC for STR below STR Min; 20"/3=6 so +6 DC => +3 DC with lethal weapon)

so he charge for 40 meters, with 18 STR, with an horse running at maximum speed, and only get +1 DC?? with -6 OCV!!! he could easily move (horse get movement so he get full phase attack), and aim for head location for x2 BODY damage with -8 OCV!

i can make a sweep for 4 attacks with -6 OCV!

so this made me ring some bells, and i gone through the book and read the rules again:

divide STR by half for calculation of STR Minimum

and this is the first problem:

if dividing STR by half i go below STR Minimum, i get the -1 DC/OCV for every 5 points below str minimum? or i need it only to calculate how much DC i add for STR to the weapon, and then if below str minimum i don't add extra DC (but still don't get penalities)?

add +1d6 damage for every 3" traveled

for Normal Damage, is pretty clear: every 3" i got an extra DC of normal damage (1 DC = 1d6 damage)

and for Killing Damage? i got +1 DC every 3", or i need 6" (+2 normal damage DC) to increase weapon damage by 1 DC (as for Martial Maneuver + DC)

ty all for helping; i know it could be annoying 'cause it's a pretty stupid question (plus, i still use 5ER and now it's becoming obsolete x_x ) but still the problem are present...

Re: Move Through with Killing Weapons

You only halve the STR being used for Damage.

only 3 STR can be applied to the Damage of the weapon, halved to 2 STR, not enough to add even 1DC. STR is effectively 0 for this maneuver.

-4 OCV, -3DCV; +6 DCs for Velocity (+3 Killing DCs).

At least, that's how I interpreted the rules. Or would change the rules to being that way.

Another suggestion, although it's getting very deep into house-rule territory:

If you really want lance-charges to be deadly, consider that besides the rider, it's also got the horse's STR behind it. That might help, but it could also be overpowered -- I don't have all the numbers in front of me, so I'm not sure.

Unless it was changed in the 6th edition, I'm pretty sure that Damage Class bonuses to Killing Attacks from Move-through, Move-by and Passing Strike maneuvers add +1DC straight bonus and is not halved as are the bonus from other Martial maneuvers when applied to killing attacks.

Unless it was changed in the 6th edition' date=' I'm pretty sure that Damage Class bonuses to Killing Attacks from Move-through, Move-by and Passing Strike maneuvers add +1DC straight bonus and is not halved as are the bonus from other Martial maneuvers when applied to killing attacks.[/quote']

The good new is, nothing is halved in 6th ed. when adding damage -- so that particular source of confusion was eliminated. (I never understood all that nonsense -- add only half of this, but add 100% of that, blah blah blah. Drove me up the *&^%$#@! wall.)

Unless it was changed in the 6th edition' date=' I'm pretty sure that Damage Class bonuses to Killing Attacks from Move-through, Move-by and Passing Strike maneuvers add +1DC straight bonus and is not halved as are the bonus from other Martial maneuvers when applied to killing attacks.[/quote']

I use 5er

so the trick is:

- STR is halved only over the STR Minimum (ie first you subtract the STR Min, then half the remaining to calculate extra damage)

- DC from movement is added in a 1/1 basis (3" -> 1 DC)

Hang on. Are you confusing Move By with Move Through? As I understand it in Move By you charge past the target and attack them as you go by e.g. a cavalryman cutting down a fleeing infantryman. In Move Through you head directly at the target and plough straight through them and/or run them down.

Move By halves your Strength and gives Velocity/5 extra damage. Move Through uses your entire Strength and gives Velocity/3 extra damage. At full speed that Knight is doing +6 Damage Classes and probably breaking his lance into the bargain.

Yeah, from what I'm seeing, with 20" of movement:

Move-By: -2 OCV, +4 DCs (and bonus damage from STR is halved)

Move-Through: -4 OCV, +6 DCs (and full bonus damage from STR, if applicable)

Which seems pretty useful, against any low-DCV target.

Move By halves your Strength and gives Velocity/5 extra damage. Move Through uses your entire Strength and gives Velocity/3 extra damage. At full speed that Knight is doing +6 Damage Classes and probably breaking his lance into the bargain.
yeh but for killing weapon rulebook says "halves STR for calculating STR Min extra damage/DC and OCV penalities"

• 2 weeks later...