Under the Agony Star: a sword and planet campaign

tkdguy

Re: Under the Agony Star: a sword and planet campaign

I have to find a copy of Chessmen of Mars. I think nobles playing chess with live "pieces" would fit right in the campaign.

You're running a sword and planet campaign and you don't have a copy of The Chessmen of Mars? You know that's illegal, right?

I wouldn't want you to get into any trouble so here you go: http://www.literature.org/authors/burroughs-edgar-rice/the-chessmen-of-mars/'>http://www.literature.org/authors/burroughs-edgar-rice/the-chessmen-of-mars/

They have several other books by Burroughs too. http://www.literature.org/authors/burroughs-edgar-rice/

And it's all public domain. :thumbup:

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

I was rereading this thread, and I had a couple of ideas. Of course, whether they ever see the light of day is a different story.

Some D&D monsters like stirges would fit right in the setting. They wouldn't be a common occurrence, but if the PCs are travelling in the wilderness, they may run afoul of these beasts.

As for the rampaging AI talked about earlier, I remember a dream (nightmare?) I had many years ago. I dreamed about a living statue made of iron or bronze. It traveled on a large stone slab carried by human slaves. Occasionally, the statue would grab a human and embrace him until he died. What it was actually doing was draining the human's blood through small devices of some sort located around its body. What if the AI was is a robot that uses human blood as its fuel? It may be a solitary creature for the most part, but it will raid a village when it needs to recharge.

Hmmm, pretty sicko idea that last, but fits the genre.

The inevitable PC questions for that particular concept being: What's its fuel mileage? Does it only work with human blood? If its energy conversion system is THAT efficient, then why not simply vacuum up whatever (organic) matter is available?

(Possible answer/justification for that last - it could use anything, but either simply likes blood or sees this as a psychological schtick to keep the slaves properly terrorized)

Maybe, instead of being an actual fuel as such, the slaves' blood is needed for a critical component (of whatever blend of mysticism and super-science keeps it running). Maybe the slaves are kept on a peculiar diet and/or other strange restrictions for just that purpose. Just a couple of thoughts.