Under the Agony Star: a sword and planet campaign

tkdguy

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Under the Agony Star: a sword and planet campaign

I'm suddenly reminded of the old Star Trek episode with Landru and a mind-controlled bunch of humans serving it. You could have human "priests" serving the AI gods, maybe with some kind of cybernetic implant or nanotechnology allowing them to communicate with their god(s).

There was an artifact the players picked up. They didn't know what it was, and the overlord of the city they ended up in (different from the one they left) confiscated it. It's actually a powerful weapon. If the overlord figures out how to make it work, it may change the balance of power in the region.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have to find a copy of Chessmen of Mars. I think nobles playing chess with live "pieces" would fit right in the campaign.

If you have a smart phone, you can get a free copy from Kindle. Well at least I got the first 3 John Carter bools from there.

• 2 weeks later...

Very impressed with this thread. I have been looking for a sort of PA > SH type game style. Do you mind if others borrow this premise? I really like what you have done with it and where the comments others have left lead.

Very impressed with this thread. I have been looking for a sort of PA > SH type game style. Do you mind if others borrow this premise? I really like what you have done with it and where the comments others have left lead.

Please do. And please let us know how your game turns out. :)

Another thing I had been considering was giving the overlords some special powers, either psionic or technological in nature. This is because the rulers in the Revolt in Antares game had these powers. they'd probably only use it in battle or in dire need, though.

Quick question to see if anyone has any ideas I can use for this. I am focusing on 4 different races. Two of them are human, one is an underground race I am modelling after dwarves somehwhat but with some differences. The last is a race that lives on the surface, that is not affected by the harsh sun. I originally was thinking something along the lines of Thri-Kreen from the D20 world. But that seems to easy and I was hoping to do something new. Given its environment, I was thinking something reptilian in nature. But beyond that I am drawing a blank. Any thoughts?

OK the 4 playable races I am going to start with are the following:

Pure Bloods: Human, Ruling class. Full access to training which allows them to use Tech from the start. They are mostly baseline stats with some added INT. Live almost all their life in environmentally (and gravity) controlled domes.

Worker Caste: Human, most numerous of the races. Fully capable of learning anything the Pure Bloods can do but not from start. They are slightly tougher on con,str, and ED (defense against the Sun but not enough to make them immune) as well as some Regen (1 body per day) form exposure to the Crystal dust. They are shorter and have a ruddier skin and more tolerance to Sun's rays and radiation than the True Bloods. Survive in the outlying settlements.

Dverg: Gnome/Dwarf like folk who are great with metal and work with their hands. Ultimate Tinkerers. Friendly with all other races, even though, the Pure Bloods are to snobbish too actually communicate or work with other races considering them barbaric and inferior. Also have some slight regen properties as well as night vision and infra vision. And they are little and have big eyes making them CUTE!!! So they have a bonus in Comeliness.

Sislik: Based loosely on the Drakine from Terakian Age. But their tails are only stubs (Heh, enough to get in the way but not be useful) and their snouts are more stubby and thus no bite attack. They have connection with the planet and are great with plants (herbalism/alchemy) as well as are great hunters. Very honor bound. two shoots of this race, settlers who live in settlements around oases, and nomads, who spend their times raiding other settlements. Because of this nobody who is not a Sislik can really tell them apart, they are not trusted by anyone on site. much taller and stronger than other races. (same stat adjustments as Drakine) also very high regen properties (1 body per hour) and dark vision.

These are obviously high level rough drafts but there you are so far.

One form of the slimes or moulds would be appropriate I think. That's very sci-fi-the blob anyone? I always had a soft spot for lizardmen. And ratmen would be good (not sure what dnd called them). How about porting in the Sathar whole cloth? I think it would be nice to have a race that can build monsters as you need for plot.

Quick question to see if anyone has any ideas I can use for this. I am focusing on 4 different races. Two of them are human' date=' one is an underground race I am modelling after dwarves somehwhat but with some differences. The last is a race that lives on the surface, that is not affected by the harsh sun. I originally was thinking something along the lines of Thri-Kreen from the D20 world. But that seems to easy and I was hoping to do something new. Given its environment, I was thinking something reptilian in nature. But beyond that I am drawing a blank. Any thoughts?[/quote']

If you're thinking reptilian, humanoid horny toads (horned lizards if you want to get technical) would be cool.

I'm thinking of porting in a few D&D monsters into the game' date=' even if I stick with Traveller. Mongrelmen would work, as would purple worms. Anything else?[/quote']

I use Mongrelmen in one of my campaigns as a catch-all race. Gnolls, ratmen, lizardmen, etc. - all are just types of mongrelmen. Gives me a great excuse to have any oddball humanoid creature show up if I suddenly feel the need for it during a session. "Never heard of the bird men before? Well, there aren't many of us, and we're all way down south, so I'm not surprised."