The Furture of medicine is in printing

LordGhee

Re: The Furture of medicine is in printing

(With apologies to LordGhee and Wes Craven.)

One day, Nanotech, DNA Recombination, and 3D Printers were chillin' in the living room when they heard a bump in the basement.

"I'll go down and check that weird noise out," said Nanotech.

"Take this very weak flashlight with you, while DNA and I have sex," said 3D Printer.

[imagine good special effects here. Rob Zombie good!]

And they were never seen again. So, anyway, it turns out that fifty years ago, their parents burned Cybernetics alive for promising one too many imminent technological miracles. And now Cybernetics comes for their children in their dreams! Only now it's skin is all green and it has claws for fingers and like that.

Re: The Furture of medicine is in printing

True, all those have promised things that were too good to be true. It is nice to see the things those technologies have produced. For example, the organ printing tech above has already been used to print bladders. I don't mean that it made bladders that almost worked and that maybe in 50 years we'll get one that really does. I mean there is a man walking around today who has a bladder that was made on a printer.

In 2006 Anthony Atala and his colleagues at the Wake Forest Institute for Regenerative Medicine in North Carolina made new bladders for seven patients. These are still working.

link

Compare this tech with other techs when they were in their infancy and the first glimpses just seemed amazing. Remember when Edison promised books made of sheets of nickel, or when they tried using x-ray machines to check how well your shoes fit, or when they realized they could save on batteries by making things glow with radium paint? All turned out to be bad ideas, but metallurgy, X-ray technology, and radiation science have all given us pretty amazing things that make modern life what it is.

So yes, 3D printers may turn out to be that weird Uncle who always promised to take us backpacking through Europe and never did, but he did drive us to the next big city over once, and that was pretty cool of him.