An Odd Hat

JmOz

Oddhat recently requested membership to a team...got me thinking:

If I wanted to make a character who was a piece of aperal (Such as Dr Fate's Helm) how do you go about it, it is an intriguing question, as the "Real" character is the foci, so if stupid villain puts it on all of a sudden you control the villain...

How do you build it...

First, 1 of two things. Either a mental transform, or cumulative mind control, with "Only vs. Targets Wearing Character." I would recommend Mental Transform - more expensive, but far better.

No Range Telepathy/Mind Link, Only vs. Targets Wearing Character.

I would say build as an automaton, but not necessary.

Some way to save its rear end when its host gets beaten up is recommended, again not necessary - a simple MegaTeleport, Trigger would work for only a handful of points.

One heck of a lot of Useable By Other powers, with "Must Be Worn."

The way this works is that the target gets mental transformed, turning them into the "host." So long as the transform remains functional and the item is not removed [how easy it is to remove would determine how much of a limitation "Must Be Worn" is, I would say treat it as a focus), the host has access to a bunch of extra powers, and its own, and is forced to use them on behalf of the character.

I always liked this construct. :)

The easiest way to handle a player who wants to build this is to have the player buy an AI for his focus. Give the AI mind control and/or a mental transformation attack to "take over" anyone who wears the item, and give the AI an agenda of its own. The AI may be able to use the focus itself; if so, all powers are useable by others.

The much more abusive (but fun and and legal) way to handle this is to build the "hat" as a character. Appropriate distinctive features, physical and social limits, flight to get around, sell back any running or swimming (unless it can grow legs), full life support or close to it. Disads like poverty are meaningless, but Social Limit: No Legal Rights means something. Mind Control and/or the transformation attack are treated as powers of the hat. The wearer of the hat can then be purchased as a follower. The follower and the hat should buy teamwork to work together, and can take separate actions. Especially useful would be a low power flying brick to pose and get pounded while the hat either attacks on its own (using indirect at the +1/4 level so that the attacks look like they come from the brick) or Succor, Healing and Aid to boost the brick up to decent levels. Invisible power effects (source only) would also be a good idea.

I'd ask a player to use option #1.