Multiform

Rebar

Re: Multiform

In 6E "Only in Heroic Identity" was renamed to "Only in Alternate Identity". Still a -1/4, but now works in both ways, so your adoption should work fine.

But wasn't the original idea behind the Multiform to have sperate sheet to not confuse her? Or is the difference as clear as for the Hulk/Banner? (Fighting Form/Intelligent Form)

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In 6E "Only in Heroic Identity" was renamed to "Only in Alternate Identity".

I still need two distinct lims:

ONLY in Hero ID for some powers (such as claws)

NOT in Hero ID for others (such as INT and skills).

But wasn't the original idea behind the Multiform to have sperate sheet to not confuse her?

It was. I'm going to have to write up unbalanced character sheets for the player.

I think he means' date=' that he has to Invent clear Names/Abbreviations for them.[/quote']

Yes. ghost-angel's 'Only in X form' is the same thing. Either way though it still requires that I explicitly define X twice on the same character sheet.

To wit:

+10 INT (-1/4 only in human form)

2D6HKA (-1/4 only in bear form)

OK, so I'm rebuilding it with the normal human form having the multiform.

Multiform (200 Character Points in the most expensive form) (40 Active Points);

Reversion (-1),

Personality Loss First Roll After 1 Hour (-1),

4 Charges (-1),

Costs Endurance (Only To Change; -1/2)

Disad: Multiform Amnesia (maybe, haven't decided on this yet)

Does it really need all those limitations? Why 4 charges, for example? Is there a conceptual reason?

So, in the first adventure, true form has earned 4XP. If she puts 1XP into multiform, that is enough to jump the bear form to 218 points!

It seems to me, I still have to invoke a GM fiat that says bear form increases only at the same rate as XP earned.

I think a lot of groups rule that the alernate forms can have no more points than the base points + disad's + xp awarded, thus restricting the points that are allowed to be invested into the Multiform. Really, the little girl form sounds more like SFX than a special ability, so having her impact the structure may be overkill.

Of course, you could spend XP to have more forms. If you can channel a bear form, why not an Owl form as well?

In 6E "Only in Heroic Identity" was renamed to "Only in Alternate Identity". Still a -1/4, but now works in both ways, so your adoption should work fine.

But wasn't the original idea behind the Multiform to have sperate sheet to not confuse her? Or is the difference as clear as for the Hulk/Banner? (Fighting Form/Intelligent Form)

With a new player, I'd consider three sheets - one with Bear abilities, one with Little Girl abilities and a third sheet with all the mechanics. A "for play, not for costing" sheet can be a lot easier to work with in play.

Does it really need all those limitations? Why 4 charges' date=' for example? Is there a conceptual reason?[/quote']

Asked the same thing, was already answered here. And is solved by switching to OIAD

I think a lot of groups rule that the alernate forms can have no more points than the base points + disad's + xp awarded' date=' thus restricting the points that are allowed to be invested into the Multiform. Really, the little girl form sounds more like SFX than a special ability, so having her impact the structure may be overkill.[/quote']

It seems to be an important fact of the concept and it is valid way to hide, when the "Manimal" Form is hunted.

For the Abrevations:

How about "Only as Girl" (OAG) and "Only as Bear" (OAB)?

• 2 weeks later...

For what little it's worth, anecdotally, when I played a character with MF for over a year, the rule we went by was that the highest an alt form's point total could be was the base form's total points (including xp) minus the (real) cost of MF. So for example, when I reached 300 total character points, with a -1/2 lim on multiform (I think that was right, but works as an example regardless), my alt form would be about 265 CP, with my main form being 300 pts with 35 spent on MF. Thus I was continually slightly behind the other party members in total points active at any given time, but since each form had more than 35 points of stuff the other form didn't have, it balanced out. (The overall function is similar to a multipower: you have more total points in the universe, but less points that can be used at any one moment.)

I think that's generally a good sensible rule for having a MF that is balanced, particularly in a case where it can be switched back and forth basically at player discretion.

On a case by case basis, a GM may reasonably allow MF that are noticeably above this line. Basically, if the character can use their alternate form only in a minority of the situations where it would be useful, it may be alright to have it be a notable power bump. It's something to approach with caution though. For example, if MF has a single charge that last 5 minutes 1/day, and grants a significantly more powerful form, (wasn't there a 500 pt Dragonform Amulet in the 5ER book?) that can be fine as long as the campaign typically requires several fights per day so that it is useful a minority of the time (and the PCs normally aren't too far off from 500 pts or whatever to begin with). But this is a call you should make on a case by case basis.

What you discribe is how Duplication works in 6E: Only the True form can spawn duplicates, but each variation has to spend the points. So: main and duplicate at 400 Points, but a -1 Limitation on it means you have two sheets with 360 Net worth.

I don't know if adopting it to MF is fair, as a duplication gives you twice the number of actions and the possibilty to make teamwork with yourself.

There is still a Drakoform Amulett in 6E, it's still 500 Points but it has one Charge, not one one Fuel Charge. Pluss personality loss (1 Hour), Plus OAF.

Also, higher than True Form Alternate Forms are now more expensive: You can give them mroe overall points, but for each of them they have to take additional Complciations or you have to spend additional Points to erase the complications.

A Standart Super (400 Pionts, 75 Complciations) that wants to have a Dragon Form (500 Points) either invest 100 Base Points for a 500/175 Complications Dragon or 120 for 500/75 Complications (effectively a 600 Points that didn't took all it's 175 complications/invested XP into buying them of).