Limitation on Recovery for Long Term Endurance

Armitage

So I was tinkering with a magic system.

Spells use personal Endurance rather than an Endurance Reserve. The Long-Term Endurance rules are in effect to balance spellcasting against physical combat, in the manner of Vancian fire-and-forget magic in D&D.

Personally, I think a wizard driving himself to exhaustion holding back an advancing army is more dramatic than "Oops, out of spells. Time to go."

It's logical that a more powerful spellcaster could cast more spells and more powerful spells than a novice without depleting his resources, but you don't want every wizard to be a marathon runner.

So I conceived of an Increased Spell Capacity "Talent", bought as additional Recovery with the Limitation "Only To Resist LTE Loss From Spellcasting".

It seems to me that this is a textbook example of a -2 Limitation. Assuming that, each Character Point buys +3 REC to resist LTE loss.

Assuming a basic character with 4 Recovery, this character begins burning LTE if he spends 2 END or more in a Turn, with the amount increasing for every 4 END spent in a Turn. The Talent increases these benchmarks as follows.

1 Character Point: 4 END and 7 END.

2 Character Points: 5 END and 10 END.

3 Character Points: 7 END and 13 END.

4 Character Points: 8 END and 16 END.

5 Character Points: 10 END and 19 END.

...and so on.

This could also be applied to any other character who can perform a specific task for long periods without having generally superhuman stamina.

e.g. a long-distance runner, or a brick who can lift immense weights for long periods.

Re: Limitation on Recovery for Long Term Endurance

I like this idea. Admittedly LTE requires a bit more book-keeping than an END Reserve, but you are right about it being more dramatic for the wizard to become exhausted rather than just run out of spells like an archer runs out of arrows. The latter is a throw-back to D&D of course but most fantasy literature I have read doesn't work magic like that at all, because it isn't as dramatic. The "Spell Capacity" talent is a nice work-around to avoid ridiculously high END wizards. Repped.