HKA Problems?

tomd1969

Guest Keneton

Passing Strike...

Adds the most of any standard martial maneuver to a chracters effectiveness rating if movement = 10 or more.

In laymans terms if you have 10" plus of movemnet than passing strike is better than martial strike, faststrike (adds 4) or sacrifice strike (adds 3!)

Regarding prior posts..There ARE movement-damage elements for martial arts but to be simple these are exclusive of movethru and moveby. They have the advantage of not crushing your dcv and you do not halve your str or hurt yourself.

You could take elements to make them work in a similar manner, but why?

In regards to Trebuchet's Z'lf, she is very cool. I think if she did buy a Fmove maneuver it would be not be v/5 but would focus on the full move element and added DCV. As noted already she is pretty BA already!

:)

Originally posted by Farkling

okay...I'm starting to wonder a bit...I have apparently missed TWO combat things recently.

Velocity doesn't add to MA damge for move-by/move through with a Martial Manuever??

Then why the complaints about those high STR characters who buy martial arts? Are the CV/DC bonuses worth trading your bonus velocity from leaping or running or flying?

Inquiring minds want to know. I will have to locate my book.

Movethrough/by doesn't add to your martial arts, but Charge, Flying Tackle, Passing Strike, and Sacrifice Lunge all add v/5 damage. And the attacker doesn't take damage from the attack, his Str isn't halved (huge benefit), and he doesn't take the same CV penalties as with movethrough/by (huge benefit). Unbalancingly effective for 3-5 pts for a high velocity character.

Bricks with martial arts are highly effective even without v/5 maneuvers. The bonus CV or DC for a maneuver would cost you more than 3-5 pts if bought separately. Even factoring in the 10 pt minimum cost, it's a bargain. And you still have the option of doing a movethrough/by or haymaker if necessary.

Originally posted by Keneton

In regards to Trebuchet's Z'lf, she is very cool. I think if she did buy a Fmove maneuver it would be not be v/5 but would focus on the full move element and added DCV. As noted already she is pretty BA already!

Thanks for the complement. :)

With regards to Zl'f buying a movement-based martial maneuver, I've deliberately avoided that as I think it would make her too powerful DC-wise. 10d6 or possibly 11d6 is as high as I want her to go without Pushing or some other risky move such as a Move Through. I consider her a fast martial artist rather than a speedster even though her SPD 9 and DEX 43 is superior to many speedsters (I think she's actually faster than Kinetik). She closes and hits like a martial artist; whereas a speedster gets much if not most of his damage from his velocity and often his defenses as well are based on hitting while racing past.

HA with +1/2 Variable Advantage

I was thinking of giving my namesake character the following Multipower slot

High-Speed Blows: 6d6HA +1/2 Variable Advantage(Limited to AP, Area Effect (One Hex)(Accurate),Autofire,1.5 *Knockback)(+3/4),Indirect (+1/4) (can use either hands or feet),Negated by Purple Morganite(-1/4)*,Hand Attackl(-1/2),Must use at full power (-1/4) (Active Points: 60,Real Cost: 30).

My main question is, is this Power too effective for most campaigns?

*Purple Morganite is an artificial substance designed by the mad scientist who transformed him to impair and weaken the character should he ever escape her control.

Re: HA with +1/2 Variable Advantage

Originally posted by Southern Cross

I was thinking of giving my namesake character the following Multipower slot

High-Speed Blows: 6d6HA +1/2 Variable Advantage(Limited to AP, Area Effect (One Hex)(Accurate),Autofire,1.5 *Knockback)(+3/4),Indirect (+1/4) (can use either hands or feet),Negated by Purple Morganite(-1/4)*,Hand Attackl(-1/2),Must use at full power (-1/4) (Active Points: 60,Real Cost: 30).

My main question is, is this Power too effective for most campaigns?

*Purple Morganite is an artificial substance designed by the mad scientist who transformed him to impair and weaken the character should he ever escape her control.

I think that would depend on the level of the campaign. It's a pretty powerful addition to whatever Southern Cross' normal attack is, but if he normally does 24d6 it's no big deal. If he does 6d6 normally then it's a different issue especially since all of these Advantages will add to normal attacks based on STR and/or martial arts if they are below 6d6. (My character Zl'f has a very similar Variable Advantage with Penetrating, Armor Piercing, Autofire and Area Effect One Hex Accurate being most commonly used. I limited hers by not having it add to martial maneuvers; only to her STR.)

What's the special effect of the Indirect?

I wouldn't allow the Purple Morganite as a Limitation unless it's fairly common. If only one potential opponent will ever have it then it's more of a concept thing.

On Martial Arts and Movement.

I think it's silly that I can SWEEP multiple targets with my Martial Arts, but I cannot perform a Move-By with them.

All these Bruce Lee and Jackie Chan movies are multiple half moves involving high SPD characters?

Oh wait...perhaps they are using powers desinged for the LATER suplements...that could be.

I'm starting to wonder about HERO approaching rulesets/books the way GURPS approaches sourcebooks...

Southern Cross

Actually,my current design for Southern Cross is based on the Superman archetype,with a maximum 75 STR due to a 5d6 Standard Effect Succor vs. STR & one physical Movement Power.

As for the "Purple Morganite" question,the mad scientist in question can easily recreate the stuff,so she could quite easily sell it on the black market.Fundamentally,it works like the Smallville version of kryptonite,so she should be able to find a few buyers.

Oddly enough, several years ago when I was first setting up my Champions world, I was creating heros, villains, and teams for a number of countries. One team I did was ANZAC, a loose affiliation of 12 low-to-mid powered heroes from Australia and New Zealand. I also decided that the most powerful hero in my world, the "Superman" of this world, if you will, would be Australian. I named her Southern Cross! :)

Originally posted by Farkling

On Martial Arts and Movement.

I think it's silly that I can SWEEP multiple targets with my Martial Arts, but I cannot perform a Move-By with them.

Move By already has a mechanism for attacking multiple targets or the same target multiple times (FREd pg. 256) To a certain extent Sweep is simply a "non-moving" version of the same thing; although Sweep is really an umbrella for two or more maneuvers and not actually a maneuver in and of itself.

It is totally legal to Sweep with a Move Through (and I presume Move By); although I assume martial arts Damage Classes still would not add.