Looking for conversion material

Lord Mhoram

Also Posted in General Roleplaying

I love to build and tinker with Hero. Most of us do I suspect. I'm also a collector I like lots of stuff from other games, that I read, or buy for fun or conversion.

I have a fantasy game I've been running off and on (and putting together off an on) for 4 to 5 years. I will likely be adding stuff for decades to come. It's a pleasant pastime for me to sit down and build spells and talents and such for the game. I do have a very specific set of magic systems for the world, so I pretty much build all the spells (The players are fine with that).

I have about 100 pages of spells built (no art, average but not large font.).

A lot of said spells are conversions from other systems - Rolemaster, D&D 1st - 3rd edition spells, D&D 4E Rituals, the FH Grimoires of course, Gurps Magic, Mythus.

What I am looking for is advise on what books in other systems that have a good laundry list of spells or abilities for PCs that I can convert. I don't have a good used game shop around here to be able to flip through to see what I need; so I need advice on which books are good as I have to get them online.

I know there are tons of Charms in the various Exalted books, and I would suspect Runequest would have a bunch, but I don't know which books specifically to get.

What other resources are there?

Re: Looking for conversion material

Runequest has been done - it has a relatively small list of spells (though there's a ton of fan-created stuff on the net, it's often pretty esoteric) and they're all on that link.

However, you could grab one of the pathfinder books, if you have a yen for D&D'ish stuff, or try hunting down some oft he older Tekumel stuff. The spells themselves are not really special, but they are atmospherically described and have great names, which adds to game atmosphere.

cheers, Mark

Thanks. I can't believe I didn't think of the Arduin Grimoire. And Pathfinder is a good idea, I have a bunch from 3rd D&D, so I didn't even think of what might have developed over there.

As for getting stuff that is already converted, I'm not actually looking to keep the spells as they work in the original systems, more using them as inspiration for the same effect using my magic system. So even the FH Grimoire spells I am rewriting to fit my world. The mechanics are not difficult for me. I'm mostly looking for ideas of spells that make me go "Ohhh coool idea" :)

Another idea from the D&D world is the Book of 9 Swords (also called Bo9S, or Book of Weeanboo Fightin' Magic :)). It was basically the D&D sourcebook for anime-style super swordsmen, but the "powers" they have are basically spells, and most would fit well with martial magicians or Ki-powered warriors.

cheers, Mark

Another idea from the D&D world is the Book of 9 Swords (also called Bo9S, or Book of Weeanboo Fightin' Magic :)). It was basically the D&D sourcebook for anime-style super swordsmen, but the "powers" they have are basically spells, and most would fit well with martial magicians or Ki-powered warriors.

cheers, Mark

I have that one. Thanks for the recomend it works. I have a bunch of talents converted from D&D feats and Rolemaster Background options and talents. A good bunch of stuff in that book (and 4E powers) work well that way.

Historically Bo9S is interesting as it was the testing ground for Encounter and Daily powers that became the basis for 4E.