Star Frontiers Weapons and Defenses Conversion

azato

I have gotten the inspiration to pick this back up. Made some modifications to my previous work.. Feel free to tear apart. I have a long ways to go...and who knows when I will finish.

Defenses and Armor

General Guidelines

I am making a first rough pass with weapons. For defenses there are shields and suits. They can be mixed but other than inertia duplication provides no extra benefit.

Power Clips/Supplies

1 SEU = 1 END

Power Clip = 20 End

Power Belt = 50 End

Power Pack = 100 End

Defenses

Albedo Suit

+20 Body -1/2 only vs ED, -1/2 only vs lasers, -1/2 OIF

Skein Suit

+10 Body -1/2 only vs PD, -1/2 only absorbs 1/2 of the attack damage, +6 rPD vs Needlers only (-1), OIF (-1)

Albedo Screen

Desolid, Only vs Lasers (-1), OIF (-1/2) , (+1/2) uses 1 END/minute, -1/4 uses 1 end for every 5 points of STUN taken (rounded up)

Inertia Screen

Damage Reduction 50%R PD -1/4 uses 2 end every time it is hit, -1/2 OIF, +6 rPD vs Needlers only (-1),

Sonic Screen

Desolid, Only vs Sonic Weapons (-1), OIF (-1/2) , (+1/2) uses 1 END/minute, -1/4 uses 1 end for every 5 points of STUN taken (rounded up)

AND

Darkness (sound) No range, continuous, uncontrolled, +1/2 zero end, OIF(-1/2)

Weapons

Beam Weapons

Electrostunner 500

Multipower

1) 2d6 RKA - Limited Range 32m (-1/4), Reduced By Range (-1/4)

2) 3d6 NND (Not Electrically Grounded) - Limited Range 32m (-1/4), Reduced By Range (-1/4)

Laser pistol

can be adjusted from 1 to 6 DCs of RKA AP (2d6 AP) (1 end to 6 end), Smoke cuts effectiveness by 1DC per hex (-1/4)

Laser rifles can be adjusted from 1 to 10 DCs or RKA AP (3d6+1 AP) (1end to 7.5 end) Does not work vs Albedo defenses (-1/2 Smoke cuts effectiveness by 1DC per hex (-1/4)

Sonic Disruptor

3d6 RKA (sonic) Reduced by range* (-1/4), Does not work in vacuum or noise dampening field (-1/2), OAF (-1), Reduced Penetration vs. non-organic targets (-1/4), 1/2 end (+1/4),

* This Loses DCs based on the range modifier. Thus -1 DC after 5 meters, -2DC after 6 meters, etc.

Sonic Devastator

5d6 RKA 1/2 End, ) Reduced by range* (-1/4), Does not work in vacuum or noise dampening field (-1/2), OAF (-1), Reduced Penetration vs. non-organic targets (-1/4), 1/2 end (+1/4),

* This Loses DCs based on the range modifier. Thus -1 DC after 5 meters, -2DC after 6 meters, etc.

Sonic Stunner

3d6 +1 NND, Reduced by range* (-1/4), Does not work in vacuum or noise dampening field (-1/2), OAF (-1), (-1/4) Reduced Penetration vs. non-organic targets, 1/2 end (+1/4),

Needler Pistol

OAF, 10 Charges (-1/4)

Multi-Power

1) 2d6 RKA Reduced Penetration

2) 1d6 RKA

AND

3d6 Drain [END], Linked to RKA (-1/4), RKA must do at least 1 BODY (-1/4),

Needler Rifle

OAF, 10 Charges (-1/4)

Multi-Power

1) 3d6 RKA, Reduced Penetration

2) 2d6 RKA, Reduced Penetration

AND

4d6 Drain [END], Linked to RKA (-1/4), RKA must do at least 1 BODY (-1/4),

Melee Weapons

Electric Sword

HKA as per given sword

AND

+2d6 NND [electrical] [Only vs grounded Targets], Linked to HKA (-1/4), Damage Shield (+1/4), Persistent (+1/4), 0 End, uses 2 END per hit (+1/2)

Re: Star Frontiers Weapons and Defenses Conversion

I don't know the setting, but here are my .02 $ anyway.

Albedo/Skein Suite:

Ablative Defense may be better. Body that only works vs. Certain attacks is difficulty to handle. Note that ablative in 6E has this nice alternative (-5 AP per hit that get's trough).

Instead of Desolid you might want to use DR or maybe high DN. There are optional rules for 100% DR in the APG, too.

Laser Weapons:

As long as they don't have the vanilla "Beam" Limitation, they can be set however you like. Of course, the question is how to handle Charges (an Endurance Reserve as OAF Perhaps?). And how likely it is that you every fire them at less than full setting.

*Albedo/Skein - I will check that out. Not sure why I didn't thought along those lines.

* Desolid - Yeah, i hate the Desolid as being a "catch all" I will scope out the APG.

*Laser - They can be fired using either the clips or the belt (or even power pack) as stated in the beginning.

Thanks for the feedback!

Boostable charages...that would work, but that just may create an unnecessary complexity. If this were a normal power (as opposed to a weapon) one could adjust the amount of AP in the power up to the maximum. The weapon acts that same way.

I will probably make changes to the laser as I don't know how it balances out. I have a feeling that people would rather just go with projectiles. I am thinking of giving no penalty for a second shot fired off (rather than the -2) due to the lack of recoil, but perhaps limit the number of shots per segment to 2. If I do away with the AP, that would give a person about 3 shots on a clip at full power or 6 shots at 1d6. That seems quite poor when compared to a pistol.

Dunno....

That seems quite poor when compared to a pistol.

Dunno....

How about building it as Multipower?

Charges on the entire Multipower.

One weak Blast only takes one Charge (and maybe has some other bonus like +OCV to fill the AP)

One stronger Blast (without other bonus) takes two.

Both have Beam Limitation (i.e. you can only choose between the two, but they make a difference).

The missing recoil might be better as low STR Minimum or +OCV only to counteract Autofire Penalties.

The lase only has to be as poor as you want it too...

My PnP group has been playing Star Frontiers in Hero. It's been fun so far.

I'll add my comments as we go.

I have gotten the inspiration to pick this back up. Made some modifications to my previous work.. Feel free to tear apart. I have a long ways to go...and who knows when I will finish.

Defenses and Armor

General Guidelines

I am making a first rough pass with weapons. For defenses there are shields and suits. They can be mixed but other than inertia duplication provides no extra benefit.

Power Clips/Supplies

1 SEU = 1 END

Power Clip = 20 End

Power Belt = 50 End

Power Pack = 100 End

Defenses

Albedo Suit

+20 Body -1/2 only vs ED, -1/2 only vs lasers, -1/2 OIF

Skein Suit

+10 Body -1/2 only vs PD, -1/2 only absorbs 1/2 of the attack damage, +6 rPD vs Needlers only (-1), OIF (-1)

Albedo Screen

Desolid, Only vs Lasers (-1), OIF (-1/2) , (+1/2) uses 1 END/minute, -1/4 uses 1 end for every 5 points of STUN taken (rounded up)

Inertia Screen

Damage Reduction 50%R PD -1/4 uses 2 end every time it is hit, -1/2 OIF, +6 rPD vs Needlers only (-1),

Sonic Screen

Desolid, Only vs Sonic Weapons (-1), OIF (-1/2) , (+1/2) uses 1 END/minute, -1/4 uses 1 end for every 5 points of STUN taken (rounded up)

AND

Darkness (sound) No range, continuous, uncontrolled, +1/2 zero end, OIF(-1/2)

[highlight]I like your take on this. Using Desolid as you have, you make the PCs immune as long as they have power. I'm assuming you allow the remaining damage to pass through if they don't have enough END to mitigate the entire amount. The purists out there might complain that being Desolid would prevent you from attacking others.

How would you handle the Body of the attack getting through? I'm thinking making it proportional to the Stun that gets through?

[/highlight]

Weapons

Beam Weapons

Electrostunner 500

Multipower

1) 2d6 RKA - Limited Range 32m (-1/4), Reduced By Range (-1/4)

2) 3d6 NND (Not Electrically Grounded) - Limited Range 32m (-1/4), Reduced By Range (-1/4)

Laser pistol

can be adjusted from 1 to 6 DCs of RKA AP (2d6 AP) (1 end to 6 end), Smoke cuts effectiveness by 1DC per hex (-1/4)

Laser rifles can be adjusted from 1 to 10 DCs or RKA AP (3d6+1 AP) (1end to 7.5 end) Does not work vs Albedo defenses (-1/2 Smoke cuts effectiveness by 1DC per hex (-1/4)

• [highlight]The PCs will get additional shots out of the Powerclip, but that isn't bad in itself.[/highlight]
  • [highlight]Shouldn't the END cost for the rifle at the top end be 10 END?[/highlight]
  • [highlight]Also, you don't need the 'Not vs Albedo Defenses' limitation, as you have it covered the way the defenses are written up?[/highlight]

Sonic Disruptor

3d6 RKA (sonic) Reduced by range* (-1/4), Does not work in vacuum or noise dampening field (-1/2), OAF (-1), Reduced Penetration vs. non-organic targets (-1/4), 1/2 end (+1/4),

Sonic Devastator

5d6 RKA 1/2 End, ) Reduced by range* (-1/4), Does not work in vacuum or noise dampening field (-1/2), OAF (-1), Reduced Penetration vs. non-organic targets (-1/4), 1/2 end (+1/4),

Sonic Stunner

3d6 +1 NND, Reduced by range* (-1/4), Does not work in vacuum or noise dampening field (-1/2), OAF (-1), (-1/4) Reduced Penetration vs. non-organic targets, 1/2 end (+1/4),

[highlight]The damage falloff seems rather harsh, especially for the Sonic Devastator whose range used to reach 100 meters. How about -1 DC for every 2 meters after 4 meters?

Also I think 1/2 END should be applied to all the sonic weapons as it appears that sonic weapons use less energy than the laser counterparts for the same amount of damage done.[/highlight]

Needler Pistol

OAF, 10 Charges (-1/4)

Multi-Power

1) 2d6 RKA Reduced Penetration

2) 1d6 RKA

AND

3d6 Drain [END], Linked to RKA (-1/4), RKA must do at least 1 BODY (-1/4),

Needler Rifle

OAF, 10 Charges (-1/4)

Multi-Power

1) 3d6 RKA, Reduced Penetration

2) 2d6 RKA, Reduced Penetration

AND

4d6 Drain [END], Linked to RKA (-1/4), RKA must do at least 1 BODY (-1/4),

[highlight]The original game has the anesthetic needles doing the same damage in pistol and rifle, but it kinda makes sense that it does more because of the added velocity being fired from a rifle. However, I believe that the needles are similar size and the clip just holds more power to launch them faster, so they don't hold a larger reservoir of anesthetic and that is why they don't do more damage but I like your take on it just fine.

Also it should be noted, for those reading this, that anesthetic ammo and barbed ammo are not stored in the same clip, so you need to manually change clips out.[/highlight]

Melee Weapons

Electric Sword

HKA as per given sword

AND

+2d6 NND [electrical] [Only vs grounded Targets], Linked to HKA (-1/4), Damage Shield (+1/4), Persistent (+1/4), 0 End, uses 2 END per hit (+1/2)

[highlight]The text description from the OG does not have the Electric Sword as being a real sword, but a simple rod that shocks the target and has a Stun and higher power setting[/highlight]

• 2 weeks later...

cptpatriot:

>>How would you handle the Body of the attack getting through? I'm thinking making it proportional to the Stun that gets through?

Looking at the rules...I could just hand wavium as you mentioned or perhaps add at Damage Resistance 50%, Stun only, and Linked to the Body.

Christopher:

>>Albedo/Skein Suite:

Ablative Defense may be better. Body that only works vs. Certain attacks is difficulty to handle. Note that ablative in 6E has this nice alternative (-5 AP per hit that get's trough).

Looking at the Ablative rules, they are both too complicated and also do not follow the spirit of the Star Frontiers rules. UNLESS I was to make a custom limitation - Lasts until 10 body is absorbed. That may be the simplest way to handle this.

--------------------------------------

Christopher

>>Instead of Desolid you might want to use DR or maybe high DN. There are optional rules for 100% DR in the APG, too.

After looking at that...yeah, I think that is best.

---------------------------

CPTPATRIOT

>Shouldn't the END cost for the rifle at the top end be 10 END?

No, to do a straight conversion it should be shooting up to twice the maximum power of the pistol...which seems a bit overkill.

>The damage falloff seems rather harsh, especially for the Sonic Devastator whose range used to reach 100 meters. How about -1 DC for every 2 meters after 4 meters?

I agree

>Also I think 1/2 END should be applied to all the sonic weapons as it appears that sonic weapons use less energy than the laser counterparts for the same amount of damage done.

You are correct as to how the SF handled those weapons. IT is something i considered but wondered how unbalancing it would be. What is your experience? I like keeping that as a more exotic weapon but maybe I should be used to keep the Rock-Paper-Scissors feel of defenses vs Weaponry.

>The original game has the anesthetic needles doing the same damage in pistol and rifle, but it kinda makes sense that it does more because of the added velocity being fired from a rifle. However, I believe that the needles are similar size and the clip just holds more power to launch them faster, so they don't hold a larger reservoir of anesthetic and that is why they don't do more damage but I like your take on it just fine.

I think i failed to read the rules when doing the rifle but I like the idea of rifles carrying more UMPH.

>Also it should be noted, for those reading this, that anesthetic ammo and barbed ammo are not stored in the same clip, so you need to manually change clips out.

Good point