Half Life 2 for Hero

Susano

Greetings all,

In this thread I hope to present some of the alien life forms, Combine forces, and equipment found in Valve Software''s excellent FPS sf action game Half Life 2. I've already posted the Zero Point Energy Field Manipulator (and can repost it in this thread if people so wish) and intend to present Barnacles, Ant Lions, Headcrabs, Zombies, and Combine Forces. I also hope to present most, if not all, of the weapons Gordon Freeman uses in Half Life 2. Finally, I considering a character sheet for Gordon Freeman himself, although it will only be based on what he's seen to do in Half Life 2, as I've never played Half Life. Input, suggestions, and comments more then welcome.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Half Life 2 for Hero

My base entry will be the Barnacle. I hope to build everything else off of the stats for this creature (i.e., if people are happy with the Barnacle, I can then make sure it can eat an Ant Lion, and thus go from there.)

BARNACLE

Cirripedia donaldsonia

[b]Val	CHA	Cost	Roll	Notes[/b]
10	STR	0	11-	Lift 100 kg; 2d6 HTH Damage [1]
10	DEX	0	11-
15	CON	5	12-
8	INT	-2	11-	PER Roll 11-
5	EGO	-5	10-
10	PRE	0	11-	PRE Attack:  2d6

4	OCV	5
5	DCV	10
2	OMCV	-3
2	DMCV	-3
4	SPD	20		Phases:  3, 6, 9, 12

4	PD	2		Total:  4 PD (0 rPD)
3	ED	1		Total:  3 ED (0 rED)
5	REC	1
20	END	0
8	BODY	-2
21	STUN	1		[b]Total Characteristic Cost:  30

Movement:[/b]	Running:	0"
Leaping:	0"
Swimming:	0"

[b]Cost	Powers & Skills[/b]
17	[b]Sticky Tounge:[/b]  Clinging (30 STR), Area of Effect (Surface - Damage 
Shield) (+½); Tongue Only (-½)
26	[b]Bite:[/b]  HKA 1d6 (1d6+1 w/STR), Armor Piercing (+¼), Constant (+½), 
END 3
15	[b]Unresponsive:[/b]  +30 PRE; Only To Protect Against Presence 
Attacks (-1)
12	[b]Sessile:[/b]  Knockback Resistance -12m
1	[b]Slow Metabolism:[/b]  LS  (Eating: Character only has to eat once per 
week)
3	[b]Alien Biology:[/b]  LS  (Sleeping: Character does not sleep)
10	[b]Limbless:[/b]  No Hit Locations
-2	[b]Sessile:[/b]  Leaping -4m (0m total)
-12	[b]Sessile:[/b]  Running -12m (0m total)
-2	[b]Sessile:[/b]  Swimming -4m (0m total)
13	[b]Sense Vibrations:[/b]  Detect Physical Contact/Vibrations 11- (Touch 
Group), Targeting
-35	[b]Blind:[/b]  has no Sight Sense Group
-25	[b]Deaf:[/b]  has no Hearing Sense Group
14	[b]Sessile:[/b]  Clinging (20 STR)
10	[b]Tongue:[/b]  Reach +10m

[b]Total Powers & Skill Cost:  46
Total Cost:  75

175+	Matching Complications (50)[/b]
20	Physical Complication:  Animal Intelligence (Frequently; Greatly 
Impairing)
10	Physical Complication:  Small (rouhgly 1 meter long and broad; 
+6 KB) (Infrequently; Slightly Impairing)
20	Physical Complication:  Very Limited Manipulation (Frequently; Greatly 
Impairing)

[b]Total Complication Points:  50[/b]

Ecology: Barnacles are an alien life form from the dimension of Xen, although they are actually native to currently unknown separate dimension/world. They came to Earth following the ‘resonance cascade’ at Black Mesa Research Facility (seen in Half Life) and by the time of Half Life 2 (set 20 years later,) they can be found all over the world.

As their name implies, a barnacle is a stationary animal. They are found on the undersides of any large object -- be it a freeway overpass, tunnel roof, cave ceiling, or in the inside of a building. They feed via a long tongue-like appendage, and clusters of barnacles can form a virtual curtain of tentacles. This tongue is very sticky and very strong and when retracted can lift a full-grown human with ease. Barnacles use their tongues to draw up anything that might be a prey item to their mouths, and will readily feed on ant lions, birds, people, and just about anything else they can catch. Inedible items, such as small boats, barrels, crates, and tires, will be spat out and allowed to drop.

As far as can be determined, a barnacle doesn’t move throughout its life. Thus, how they reproduce, spread, an find a new home is a mystery. It is possible barnacles have a multi-stage life cycle, with a mobile larval stage that eventually grows into the final, adult form of a barnacle.

Personality/Motivation: Normal animal motivations.

Powers/Tactics: As stated, barnacles hunt via their long tongues. As they have no eyes, ears, or nose, they depend only on their sense of touch to let them know when something has blundered into their tongue. Once contact has been made, the barnacle will quickly retract their tongue, drawing whatever they’ve caught up to their mouth. Food items will then be devoured by the barnacles strong jaws, while non-food items will be released. Anything drawn into a barnacle’s jaws will be subject non-stop series of bites as the creature attempts to force it prey into its gullet via sheer brute force. They can eat a human being in a matter of moment, digesting their prey slowly before spitting out the bones and other objects.

Appearance: A barnacles is a short, barrel-like creature, roughly three to four feet in length and about two to three feet wide. They are dark in color with a roughly square body. The mouth has four large teeth, each set into a muscular pillar. The tongue is long and thin and can extent to nearly 10 meters.

Designer's Notes: The Barnlacle is one of the alien creatures in Valve Software’s Half Life and Half Life 2. Much of the information here was taken from direct game play, as well as the Combine OverWiki, found at http://half-life.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page. The stats given here are a mix of conjecture, game play descriptions, and an attempt to present in-game concepts in a manner consistent with the Hero System.

You can easily modify the Barnacle to make it more of a threat. For starters, you can give it a 1-2 meter of Running, allowing it to creep along and find fresh hunting grounds. You could also give it 1-2 points of Restraint PD and ED. Based on comments found on the Combine OverWiki, you could even give the Barnacle a form of Choke Hold, either as a Martial Maneuver, or as an NND Advantage to its tongue-based STR.

(Barnacle created by Valve Software, character sheet created by Michael Surbrook)

Hm...there are also Resistance cobbled-together vehicles :).

Yes, there is the dune buggy and the hot rod... but let's not get ahead of ourselves, shall we? I'm still tinkering with the barnacle and the ant lions.

• 3 weeks later...

Assuming a normal human gets caught on a Barnacle's tongue' date=' how do they escape (STR 30)?[/quote']

Yes. Consider this -- Barnacles can capture and kill humans and ant lions with ease, and can be enticed to lift up small rowboats and full 55-gallon cans of fuel into their mouths.

I mean that i'm actually curious as to how they escape. If they don't have a blade' date=' they're SOL.[/quote']

Pretty much. Although I should note that as in the game, the target's arms are usually free.

Yes. Consider this -- Barnacles can capture and kill humans and ant lions with ease' date=' and can be enticed to lift up small rowboats and full 55-gallon cans of fuel into their mouths.[/quote']

I have only seen others play half life, never played it myself. But here is what I think anyway:

Depending on the STR Chart used, 30 STR can be either 1.6 Tons (Superheroic, 6E1 43), 800 kg (heroic chart from APG 7) or x kg (the specific STR chart used in your campaign).

A human is rated as about 100 kg, a motorcycle at 200 kg and a sports car at 800 kg, in both official STR Charts. Of course, limited STR "only to lift/grab/grab and hold" and pushing STR is always possible on the side of the barnacle.

According to wikipedia a full 55 gallon barrel can carry up to 270 kg. So 300 kg lift (18 Superheroic or 23 heroic STR) should be the minimum.

Well, in the games, you look up and shoot them before you get drawn into their mouths.

...So 300 kg lift (18 Superheroic or 23 heroic STR) should be the minimum.

I'm sorry, but what is this "superheroic/heroic" STR differentiation? I never play Champs, so perhaps I'm missing something...

I have only seen others play half life, never played it myself. But here is what I think anyway:

Depending on the STR Chart used, 30 STR can be either 1.6 Tons (Superheroic, 6E1 43), 800 kg (heroic chart from APG 7) or x kg (the specific STR chart used in your campaign).

A human is rated as about 100 kg, a motorcycle at 200 kg and a sports car at 800 kg, in both official STR Charts. Of course, limited STR "only to lift/grab/grab and hold" and pushing STR is always possible on the side of the barnacle.

According to wikipedia a full 55 gallon barrel can carry up to 270 kg. So 300 kg lift (18 Superheroic or 23 heroic STR) should be the minimum.

I'll point out that lifting 300kg with an 18 STR means lifting up off the ground and staggering a few feet with it. Lifting it upwards of 30 feet into the air (with ease) requires a lot more.) In fact, I see the 10 STR it has isn't enough to lift such objects. I think I re-write is needed (+20 STR only to lift.)

I'm sorry' date=' but what is this "superheroic/heroic" STR differentiation? I never play Champs, so perhaps I'm missing something...[/quote']

I referenced that:

Depending on the STR Chart used' date=' 30 STR can be either 1.6 Tons (Superheroic, 6E1 43), 800 kg (heroic chart from APG 7) or x kg (the specific STR chart used in your campaign).[/quote']

Thank you, sorry I missed that.

I didn't know there were different STR charts. I'm pretty sure I disapprove.

It is one possible solution for the problem that the STR-chart is to fast growing for heroic campaigns. Saying that 30 STR (10 over Maxima) is only 800 KG lift instead of 1.6 tons can help a lot to fix such issues. of course, such a list must be valid for all the caracters in the game (I did not talk about letting batman use the heroic, and superman use the superheroic chart when both are in the same campiagn).

I mean that i'm actually curious as to how they escape. If they don't have a blade' date=' they're SOL.[/quote']

Yes, they are. In the game (at least in the PC version), once you are stuck on a barnacle's tongue, the only way to escape is to kill the barnacle. Luckily, the player can still use any weapon he has while being pulled up.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Revised Barnacle.

BARNACLE

Cirripedia donaldsonia

10	DEX	0	11-
15	CON	5	12-
5	EGO	-5	10-

4	OCV	5
5	DCV	10
2	OMCV	-3
2	DMCV	-3
4	SPD	20		Phases:  3, 6, 9, 12

4	PD	2		Total:  4 PD (0 rPD)
3	ED	1		Total:  3 ED (0 rED)
5	REC	1
20	END	0
8	BODY	-2
21	STUN	1		[b]Total Characteristic Cost:  30

Movement:[/b]	Running:	0m
Leaping:	0m
Swimming:	0m

17	Sticky Tongue:  Clinging (30 STR), Area of Effect (Surface - Damage 
Shield) (+½); Tongue Only (-½)
26	Bite:  HKA 1d6 (1d6+1 w/STR), Armor Piercing (+¼), Constant (+½), 
END 3
15	Unresponsive:  +30 PRE; Only To Protect Against Presence 
Attacks (-1)
12	Sessile:  Knockback Resistance -12m
1	Slow Metabolism:  LS  (Eating: Character only has to eat once per 
week)
3	Alien Biology:  LS  (Sleeping: Character does not sleep)
10	Limbless:  No Hit Locations
-2	Sessile:  Leaping -4m (0m total)
-12	Sessile:  Running -12m (0m total)
-2	Sessile:  Swimming -4m (0m total)
13	Sense Vibrations:  Detect Physical Contact/Vibrations 11- (Touch 
Group), Targeting
-35	Blind:  has no Sight Sense Group
-25	Deaf:  has no Hearing Sense Group
14	Sessile:  Clinging (20 STR)
10	Tongue:  Reach +10m

[b]Total Powers & Skill Cost:  92
Total Cost:  121

Impairing)
10	Physical Complication:  Small (roughly 1 meter long and broad; 
+6 KB) (Infrequently; Slightly Impairing)
Impairing)

[b]Total Complication Points:  50
Experience Points:  0[/b]

Ecology: Barnacles are an alien life form from the dimension of Xen, although true home is a currently unknown separate dimension/world. They came to Earth following the ‘resonance cascade’ at Black Mesa Research Facility (seen in Half Life) and by the time of Half Life 2 (set 20 years later,) they can be found all over the world.

As their name implies, barnacles are stationary animals. They are found on the undersides of any large object—be it a freeway overpass, tunnel roof, cave ceiling, or in the inside of a building. They feed via a long tongue-like appendage, and clusters of barnacles can form a virtual curtain of tentacles. This tongue is very sticky and very strong and when retracted can lift a full-grown human with ease. Barnacles use their tongues to draw up anything that might be a prey item to their mouths, and will readily feed on ant lions, birds, people, and just about anything else they can catch. Inedible items that happen to be drawn up into the mouth, such as small boats, barrels, crates, and tires, will be spat out and allowed to drop.

As far as can be determined, a barnacle doesn’t move throughout its life. Thus, how they reproduce, spread, and find a new home is a mystery. It is possible barnacles have a multi-stage life cycle, with a mobile larval stage that eventually grows into the final, adult form of a barnacle.

Powers/Tactics: As stated, barnacles hunt via their long and very sticky tongues. As they have no eyes, ears, or nose, they depend only on their sense of touch to let them know when something has blundered into their tongue. Once contact has been made, the barnacle will quickly retract its tongue, drawing whatever’s stuck to it up to its mouth. The only way to escape would be to pull free from the tongue (not an easy task) or to kill the barnacle. As the tongue doesn’t wrap around the body, this can be a fairly easy task for a well-armed human (most animals are out of luck.) Food items will be devoured by the barnacle’s strong jaws, while non-food items will be released. Anything drawn into a barnacle’s jaws will be subject to a non-stop series of bites as the creature attempts to force it prey into its gullet via sheer brute force. They can eat a human being in a matter of moments, and once having fed will digest their prey slowly before spitting out the bones and other objects.

Appearance: A barnacle is a short, barrel-like creature, roughly three to four feet in length and about two to three feet wide. They are dark in color with a roughly square body. The mouth has four large teeth, each set into a muscular pillar. The tongue is long and thin and can extent to nearly 10 meters.

Designer's Notes: The Barnacle is one of the alien creatures found in Valve Software’s Half Life and Half Life 2. Much of the information here was taken from direct game play, as well as the Combine OverWiki, found at http://half-life.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page. The stats given here are a mix of conjecture, game play descriptions, and an attempt to present in-game concepts in a manner consistent with the Hero System.

You can easily modify the Barnacle to make it more of a threat. For starters, you can give it a 1-2 meters of Running, allowing it to creep along and find fresh hunting grounds. You could also give it 1-2 points of Restraint PD and ED. Based on comments found on the Combine OverWiki, you could even give the Barnacle a form of Choke Hold, either as a Martial Maneuver, or as an NND Advantage to its tongue-based STR.

(Barnacle created by Valve Software, character sheet created by Michael Surbrook)

ANTLION, SOLDIER

16	DEX	12	12-
15	CON	5	12-
8	INT	-2	11-	PER Roll 11-/14-
5	EGO	-5	10-
15	PRE	5	12-	PRE Attack:  3d6

5	OCV	10
6	DCV	15
2	OMCV	-3
2	DMCV	-3
3	SPD	10		Phases:  4, 8, 12

5	PD	2		Total:  5 PD (1 rPD)
5	ED	2		Total:  5 ED (1 rED)
5	REC	1
30	END	2
6	BODY	-4
20	STUN	0		[b]Total Characteristic Cost:  47

Movement:[/b]	Running:	12m/24m 
Flight:	20m/20m
Leaping:	4m/8m
Swimming:	0m
Tunneling:	1m/1m

5	Bite:  HKA 1 point (1d6 w/STR), END 1
10	Fearless:  +20 PRE; Only To Protect Against Presence Attacks (-1)
3	Exoskeleton:  Resistant Protection (1 PD/1 ED)
10	Winged:  Flight 20m; Restrainable (wings; -½), Cannot Hover (must 
move at least 2m per Phase; -¼), No Noncombat Movement (-¼), 
END 2
10	Burrowing:  Tunneling 1m through 8 PD material; Limited Medium 
(soil, rock, concrete, and so on; -½), No Noncombat Movement (-¼), 
END 2
-2	Unable To Swim:  Swimming -4m (total 0m)
8	Clinging (normal STR); Cannot Resist Knockback (-¼)
26	Sense Vibrations:  Detect Physical Contact/Vibrations 14-/17- (Touch 
Group), Range, Targeting, Tracking
6	Detects Pheromones:  +3 PER with Smell/Taste Group

[b]Skills[/b]
3	Climbing 12-
3	Concealment 11-
3	Stealth 12-
3	Tactics 11-
3	Teamwork 12-

[b]Total Powers & Skill Cost:  56
Total Cost:  103

Impairing)
Impairing)
15	Psychological Complication:  Extremely Hostile To Non-Antlions 
(Common; Strong)
15	Psychological Complication:  Fearless (Common; Strong)
40	Susceptibility:  water 3d6 damage per Segment (Very Common)

Ecology: A form of alien life, antlions came to Earth following the Combine invasion. They may have appeared after the ‘resonance cascade’ at Black Mesa Research Facility (seen in Half Life) or they may have appeared later, when the Combine invaded in force. In any event, they’re a very successful invasive species and can be found world wide.

As their name suggests, antlions live in ant-like hives. They are capable of digging through most anything, and hives can be found in empty buildings, abandoned mines, natural caves, or antlion dug tunnels. A highly aggressive species, antlions are carnivores and will eat just about anything. They also capture prey to feed their larva, and antlion nests are known to be littered with bones and corpses of previous captures.

Personality/Motivation: Normal animal motivations. Antlions are noted both for their ferocity and fearlessness.

Powers/Tactics: While quick enough on land, antlions can also fly, using their wings to make long hops in order to cross obstacles or gain access to remote areas. They can also burrow through most substances (up to and including concrete—but not metal) and will use this ability to attack from unexpected directions. However, antlions can’t swim, and any ‘lion falling into a reasonable body of water will drown within moments.

Antlions have rudimentary tactical skill. While most will rush in headlong, others will circle around to the side and/or fly in to attack from above and/or behind. They will also overwhelm foes through sheer numbers, tearing a target to bits by having multiple ‘lions bite down with their fearsome jaws. To make matters worse, they don’t retreat, even in the face of massive casualties, attacking until the intruder is destroyed, or the entire colony of antlions is.

Appearance: An antlion looks something like a grasshopper crossed with spider. They have a small squarish head, with a roughly elongated diamond for a thorax. Their rear legs reach forward, while their front legs point to the back. Coloration is various shades of green, often with reddish or yellowish highlights and stripes. The typical antlion is around five to six feet long and stands about three feet high.

Designer's Notes: The Antlion is one of the alien creatures found in Valve Software’s Half Life and Half Life 2. Much of the information here was taken from direct game play, as well as the Combine OverWiki, found at http://half-life.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page. The stats given here are a mix of conjecture, game play descriptions, and an attempt to present in-game concepts in a manner consistent with the Hero System.

(Antlion created by Valve Software, character sheet created by Michael Surbrook)

ANTLION, WORKER

15	STR	5	12-	Lift 200 kg; 3d6 HTH Damage [1]
14	DEX	8	12-
15	CON	5	12-
8	INT	-2	11-	PER Roll 11-/14-
5	EGO	-5	10-
15	PRE	5	12-	PRE Attack:  3d6

5	OCV	10	
6	DCV	15	
2	OMCV	-3	
2	DMCV	-3	

5	PD	2		Total:  5 PD (1 rPD)
5	ED	2		Total:  5 ED (1 rED)
5	REC	1
30	END	2
6	BODY	-4
22	STUN	1		[b]Total Characteristic Cost:  49

Movement:[/b]	Running:  12m/24m 
Flight:  10m/10m
Leaping:  4m/8m
Swimming:  4m/8m
Tunneling:  1m/1m

5	Bite:  HKA 1 point (1d6 w/STR), END 1
60	Acid Spray:  RKA 2d6, Constant (+½), Penetrating (+½), Uncontrolled 
(see text; +½); Limited Range (16m; -¼), END 7
18	Death Explosion:  RKA 2d6, Area Of Effect (12m Radius 
Explosion; +¼), Trigger (occurs upon death; +¼), Constant (+½), 
Penetrating (+½), Uncontrolled (see text; +½); 1 Charge which Never 
Recovers (-4), [1 nr]
10	Fearless:  +20 PRE; Only To Protect Against Presence Attacks (-1)
3	Exoskeleton:  Resistant Protection (1 PD/1 ED)
5	Winged:  Flight 10m; Restrainable (wings; -½), Cannot Hover (must 
move at least 2m per Phase; -¼), No Noncombat 
Movement (-¼), END 1
10	Burrowing:  Tunneling 1m through 8 PD material; Limited Medium 
(soil, rock, concrete, and so on; -½), No Noncombat Movement (-¼), 
END 2
-2	Unable To Swim:  Swimming -4m (total 0m)
8	Clinging (normal STR); Cannot Resist Knockback (-¼)
26	Sense Vibrations:  Detect Physical Contact/Vibrations 14-/17- (Touch 
Group), Range, Targeting, Tracking
6	Detects Pheromones:  +3 PER with Smell/Taste Group

[b]Skills[/b]
3	Climbing 12-
3	Concealment 11-
3	Stealth 12-
3	Tactics 11-
3	Teamwork 12-

[b]Total Powers & Skill Cost:  129
Total Cost:  178

Impairing)
Impairing)
15	Psychological Complication:  Extremely Hostile To Non-Antlions 
(Common; Strong)
15	Psychological Complication:  Fearless (Common; Strong)

Experience Points:  3[/b]

Ecology: A form of antlion, workers (also known as acid lions) rarely, if ever, leave their nests. Instead, they use their jaws and acid to carve new tunnels as well as tend to the grubs and larva.

Personality/Motivation: Normal animal motivations. Antlions are noted both for their ferocity and fearlessness.

Powers/Tactics: Workers are similar to soldiers, but have smaller wings and are unable to fly as fast and as far. However, they do have the power to spit globs of powerful acid. This acid uses the rules found on page 147 of 6E2. As the worker doesn’t assign any END to the acid itself, presume it lasts for 1d6 Phases. This also goes for the acid produced when the worker is killed. Also, death may not cause the worker to explode. Drowning, for example, or if the worker is disintegrated by an OSIPR energy ball.

Appearance: An antlion worker looks much like a termite, with a smooth exoskeleton. The color tends to be a pale green and glows. The wings are exposed and unlike the soldier’s aren’t particularly large.

Designer's Notes: The Antlion is one of the alien creatures found in Valve Software’s Half Life and Half Life 2. Much of the information here was taken from direct game play, as well as the Combine OverWiki, found at http://half-life.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page. The stats given here are a mix of conjecture, game play descriptions, and an attempt to present in-game concepts in a manner consistent with the Hero System.

(Antlion created by Valve Software, character sheet created by Michael Surbrook)

HEADCRAB

1	STR	-9	9-	Lift 28.7 kg; 0d6 HTH Damage
15	DEX	10	12-
10	CON	0	11-
5	EGO	-5	10-

5	OCV	10
9	DCV	30
2	OMCV	-3
2	DMCV	-3

2	PD	0		Total:  2 PD (0 rPD)
2	ED	0		Total:  2 ED (0 rED)
4	REC	0
20	END	0
3	BODY	-7
10	STUN	-5		[b]Total Characteristic Cost:  24

Movement:[/b]	Running:  12m/24m 
Leaping:  3m
Swimming:  0m
Tunneling:  1m/1m

15	Bite:  HKA 1/2d6, Constant (+1/2), END 1
7	Resilient:  LS  (Immunity: All terrestrial poisons; Safe in High 
Radiation)
-4	Short Legs:  Running -4m
1	Short Legs:  Leaping +3m (3m forward, 1 ½m upward); No 
Noncombat Movement (-¼), END 1
-2	Can't Swim:  Swimming -4m
1	Burrowing:  Tunneling 1m through 1 PD material; Limited Medium Very 
Limited (loose soil and sand; -1), No Noncombat Movement (-¼), 
END 1
32	"Sees" Without Eyes:  Spatial Awareness (Hearing Group)

[b]Skills[/b]
8	+8 versus Hit Location penalties with Bite

6	Concealment 14-; Self Only (-½)
7	Stealth 14-

[b]Total Powers & Skill Cost:  71
Total Cost:  95

Impairing)
15	Physical Complication:  Diminutive (typically no larger than about .5m; 
+12m KB) (Frequently; Slightly Impairing)
Impairing)

Ecology: Known variously as cranial-conjugal parasites, head-humpers, and parasitics, headcrabs are a strange form of alien life. They first appeared following the Black Mesa Incident and are known found the world over. Many infestations of headcrabs are due to the Combine using them as a terror weapon. Areas of dissidents and malcontents are hit with barrages from mortars firing “Headcrab Shells.” These artillery shells carry a payload of 4-6 headcrabs and a sufficiently large-scale shelling can destroy entire towns.

Headcrabs can be found almost anywhere, but tend to be found in ruined urban areas. They prey on humans, although one supposes they could attack just about any humanoid. When they locate their prey, a headcrab will leap for the target’s head. If successful, they’ll latch on with their legs, then burrow in to the skull with their beak. Once they’ve gained access to the brain, the headcrab will take control of their victim’s nervous system, turning the unfortunate into a Headcrab Zombie.

Powers/Tactics: Headcrabs tend to scuttle around aimlessly. When they encounter prey they’ll make a chirping cry, then leap to attack. They aim for the head and if they land will attack with their bite. Once they’ve taken control of their target, they’ll use the zombie’s greater mobility to move around, presumably in order to spread into new area.

Appearance: Headcrabs are oval creatures, roughly the size of a pumpkin. They have four short legs, a series of hooked appendages on the front of the body, and large, lipless mouth on the underbelly. Inside this mouth is the beak. Headcrabs are usually a pale tan color.

Designer's Notes: The Headcrab is one of the alien creatures (and probably the most iconic) found in Valve Software’s Half Life and Half Life 2. Much of the information here was taken from direct game play, as well as the Combine OverWiki, found at http://half-life.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page. The stats given here are a mix of conjecture, game play descriptions, and an attempt to present in-game concepts in a manner consistent with the Hero System.

(Headcrab created by Valve Software, character sheet created by Michael Surbrook)

HALF LIFE 2 WEAPONS

[b]Cost	Weapon[/b]
15	[b]Crowbar:[/b]  HA +3d6, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +½); OAF (-1), 
Hand-To-Hand Attack (-¼) plus +10 STR, Reduced Endurance 
(0 END; +½); Only For Prying Things Open (-2), OAF (-1) plus +1m 
Range

11	[b]MK3A2 Blast Grenade:[/b]  Blast 8d6, Area Of Effect (10m Radius 
Explosion; +¼); 1 Charge (-2), OAF (-1), Real Weapon (-¼), Range 
Based On Strength (-¼), [1]

9	[b]Colt Python:[/b]  RKA 1 ½d6; OAF (-1), 6 Charges (-¾), Real 
Weapon (-¼), Beam (-¼) plus +1 OCV; OAF (-1), [6]

16	[b]Heckler and Koch USP Match:[/b]  RKA 2d6-1, +1 Increased STUN 
Multiplier (+¼); OAF (-1), Real Weapon (-¼), Beam (-¼), 
18 Charges (+¼) plus +1 OCV; OAF (-1), [18]

14	[b]Resistance Crossbow:[/b]  RKA 2 ½d6, +1 Increased STUN 
Multiplier (+¼); OAF (-1), 1 Recoverable Charge (-½), Required 
Hands (-½), Beam (-¼), Concentration (½ DCV; -¼), Real Weapon (-¼) 
plus +2 Versus RMod; OAF (-1), [1 rc]
3	[b]Telescopic Sight x6:[/b]  +8 Versus RMod; OAF (-1), Concentration 
(½ DCV; -¼)	

14	[b]Combine SPAS-12:[/b]  RKA 2 ½d6, +1 Increased STUN Multiplier (+¼), 
Area Of Effect (1m Radius; +¼); OAF Bulky (-1 ½), 6 Charges (-¾), 
Real Weapon (-¼), 40m Range (-¼), Reduced Penetration (-¼), 
Reduced By Range (-¼), [6]

31	[b]Heckler and Koch MP7:[/b]  Multipower, 63-point reserve, all slots 
OAF (-1)
3f	1)  [b]4.6x30mm Cartridge:[/b]  RKA 2d6, Autofire (5 shots; +½); OAF (-1), 
Real Weapon (-¼), Beam (-¼), 45 Charges (+½) plus +1 OCV; 
OAF (-1) plus +1 Versus RMod; OAF (-1), [45]
1f	2)  [b]22mm Fragmentation Rifle Grenade:[/b]  RKA 1 ½d6, Area Of Effect 
(12m Radius Explosion; +¼), +1 Increased STUN Multiplier (+¼); 1 
Charge (-2), OAF (-1), Real Weapon (-¼), [1]

47	[b]Combine Overwatch Standard Issue Pulse Rifle:[/b]  Multipower, 94-point 
reserve, all slots OAF (-1)
3f	1)  [b]Energy Pulse:[/b]  RKA 2d6+1, Autofire (5 shots; +½); OAF (-1), Real 
Weapon (-¼), Beam (-¼), 4 clips of 30 Charges (+½) plus +1 OCV; 
OAF (-1) plus +1 Versus RMod; OAF (-1), [30]
2f	2)  [b]Energy Ball:[/b]  RKA 5d6, Indirect (can be bounced around some 
obstacles; +¼); 1 Charge (-2), OAF (-1), Real Weapon (-¼), [1]

48	[b]Resistance Rocket Launcher:[/b]  RKA 7d6, Area Of Effect (16m Radius 
Explosion; +¼), +1 Increased STUN Multiplier (+¼), Area Of Effect 
(1m Radius; +¼), Armor Piercing (+¼), No Range Modifier (+½); 
1 Charge (-2), OAF Bulky (-1 ½), Required Hands (-½), Real 
Weapon (-¼), Minimum Range (10m) (-¼), [1]

ZERO-POINT ENERGY FIELD MANIPULATOR

Effect: Various

Target: One object or one person

Duration: Various

Range: Various

END Cost: 0

Description: Commonly known as the Gravity Gun, the Manipulator was originally designed for the handling of hazardous materials, and generally used for heavy lifting. However, recently one of these Manipulators was given to Doctor Gordon Freeman, who has since demonstrated the amazing flexibility of the Manipulator as both a tool and a weapon.

The Manipulator is a thick cylinder with a housing at the rear. There’s a support handle on the left side, with a grip at the back. The grip has two triggers, the primary one unleashes a bolt of zero-point energy (good for ‘punting’ objects away), while the secondary trigger pulls objects to the Manipulator. At the front of the device are three claw-like prongs that apparently serve to shape the zero-point energy field.

The Manipulator is used by pointing it at a target, which can either be something the user wishes to pick up, or knock away. Pressing the secondary trigger will create the zero-point energy field, which will then either pick up the object in question, or start to drag it towards the Manipulator. As objects can only be lifted into the air once they come in close proximity to the Manipulator, care must be taken to pull large objects along a path free of obstacles, else it might become hung up.

Pressing the primary trigger will either unleash a blast of zero-point energy (capable of smashing boards, boxes, and crates), or will hurl away anything held in the zero-point energy field with great force. Small objects, such as cinder blocks, can be flung out of sight, while larger ones, such as 55 gallon drums of fuel, can be hurled upwards of 30-40 meters. The force used to ‘punt’ an object in this manner is so great that many mundane objects can be pressed into service as weapons. Blunt objects (such a bricks and barrels), can be used to batter foes and barriers down, while edged objects, such as (circular saw blade) will cut clean through a human being.

The same technology that enables the Manipulator to pick up objects can also be used to catch objects. Slow-moving projectiles (such as hurled grenades or a tossed ball) can be captured and held in the zero-point field, at which point the user can quickly punt it back. The zero-point field can also be used to capture certain forms of energy, such as the Combine Overwatch’s Pulse Rifle’s Energy Ball.

The Manipulator does have its limitations. The zero-point field only works on non-living objects, such as barrels, boxes, cinderblocks, doors, rocks, and so on. It can’t be used to pick up a living person, or even a corpse. The energy bolt, while powerful, inflicts little actual damage, although it does send most foes flying. Care also must be taken when selecting projectiles for ammunition. As the Manipulator impart great force onto anything it fires away, it’s possible for certain objects to simply smash to pieces upon striking a target, as opposed to doing any real damage. However, if these limitations are kept in mind, the Zero-Point Energy Manipulator can be a highly effective and versatile tool.

Designer’s Notes: While I’ve tried to capture the capabilities of the Half Life 2 Gravity Gun in HERO System terms, I’ll readily admit to ignoring certain aspects of the device in order to present a more universally adaptable gadget. In other words, I’ve declined to model the sometimes plot-specific abilities and drawbacks of the Gravity Gun. For example, while the energy burst can smash wooden supports and knock cars about, you can’t use it to knock away a Headcrab Zombie... but you can use it to punt away a Headcrab or an Antlion. The same blast can smash a crate, but does little damage to an Antlion or Headcrab. And so on. In any case, I’d like to think I’ve captured the look and feel of the Gravity Gun fairly well, while still offering a gadget that could find a home in a wide variety of campaigns and genres.

Game Information:

36	[b]Zero-Point Energy Field:[/b]  Telekinesis (25 STR), Indirect (can manipulate objects on the other side of certain barriers; +¼), Invisible Power Effects (Invisible to Sight Group; +½), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +½), Uncontrolled (+½); OAF (-1), Only Works On Limited Types Of Objects (non-living/organic objects only; -½), Affects Whole Object (-¼), Limited Range (15 meters; -¼)
15	[b]Zero-Point Energy Field Throw:[/b]  +40 STR, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +½); Only To Determine Throwing Distance (-2), OAF (-1)
20	[b]Zero-Point Energy Field Burst:[/b]  Blast 6d6, Double Knockback (+½), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +½); OAF (-1), Cannot Use Targeting (-½), Limited Range (10 meters; -¼), Beam (-¼)
38	[b]Blunt Object Throw:[/b]  Blast 12d6, Indirect (thrown objects can be arced over some obstacles; +¼), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +½); OAF (-1), Must Have Blunt Object In Zero-Point Energy Field (barrels, cinder blocks, furniture, lumber, rocks, and so on; -½), Damage Depends On Exact Object Used (-¼)
38	[b]Edged Object Throw:[/b]  RKA 4d6, Indirect (thrown objects can be arced over some obstacles; +¼), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +½); OAF (-1), Must Have Blunt Object In Zero-Point Energy Field (meat hooks, lengths of pipe, circular saw blades, and so on.; -½), Damage Depends On Exact Object Used (-¼)
40	[b]Zero-Point Energy Field Catch:[/b]  Reflection (60 Active Points' worth), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +½), Any Target (+½); OAF (-1)