GURPS Spaceships to HERO?

L. Marcus

Re: GURPS Spaceships to HERO?

... What it says on the tin. Has anyone done or seen any work on converting GURPS 4th Ed vehicle stats (more specifically' date=' from the Spaceships line of books) to HERO 5th or 6th? It seems to be a pretty good resource for hard-ish vehicle construction.[/quote']

Since i'm one of the few people enlightened enough to have played GURPS, i'll chip in: the guidelines, compared to the mechanics, are not quite as full of detail. I could see a ship being made, then converted over, however.

• 2 weeks later...

That's my thought. Any takes on guidelines?

As i've not done any vehicle creation in HERO 6th Edition yet, i'm afraid there's not much I can help with. The weapon damage range in GURPS seem wider than HERO, however (anywhere from 6dx5 up to the thousands of damage? Yeah...).

The build philosophies are so different, there is little point in trying such a feat. The best way to go would be to take the basic concept of any spaceships in GURPS products and design them from the ground up in HERO based on your personal play style and campaign conception, rather than attempting to convert hard statistics.

Not a spaceship, no, and not 4th edition. I still use 3rd edition GURPS (I have the 4th edition core books, but I've never used them in a live-fire situation). I did create a coal-burning tramp freighter in Vehicles and converted it to Hero 6.

I am, however, planning to do some for a hardish-SF game. Spin gravity, that sort of thing. It's fairly low down my priority list at the moment, though.

Much as I love the ease of constructing vehicles in Hero, the grognard in me still likes the verisimilitude of a detailed GURPS design. GURPS Vehicle Builder is a must for me, though, otherwise I'd never get anything built with it.

Design and build in GURPS. Find out what it does. Convert to Hero. Use all the little GURPS details as flavour.

PS: In light of the note on GURPS' wide damage, I ought to add that I convert the real-world details (volume, speed, etc) into Hero terms. I always operate a loose conversion of game mechanics from one system to another. Big weapons in Hero to a lot less damage than big weapons in GURPS, because Hero likes to emphasise characters' abilities more than their equipment. When converting game mechanics, I aim to get the feel right, rather than follow any kind of mechanical procedure. For armour, weapon damage etc, I look for something similar in Hero terms and use that as a base.