Elemental Control and Linked...

t-bear

Got another question for people here.

A character of mine is a teleporting martial artist (think Nightcralwer, but with gateways for the teleportations). His teleport ability is designed around an Elemental Control of the teleportation gateways.

He's going through a ...change, and I'd like to see (if I can even get GM approval for this) him be able to recharge his end a little whenever he himself passes through the "dimesional cosmos" that he passes through whenever he goes from one gateway to another. It's technically instantaneous, but the special effect is that there's this energetic cosmos that he travesl thorugh so he can puch thorugh a gateway picking up 10d6 of dmg in physical dmg on the way. So, what I thought was an Aid power linked to any power in the EC where I pass thorugh the gateway, that triggers off "I pass through the gateway" and aids my END pool back up to starting value.

The thing is, to me, it would make the most sense to have that AID ability in the EC, however you can't, technically, link 1 power in an EC to another power in said EC, so I'd have to build it outside of the EC. Now, is there another way to do this, or is this the best way? Am I just being wonky in thinking that the aid should be (logically) in the EC?

I don't think you are being wonky.

however pointswise what you are describing is a tad touchy.

first off I would have considerations for a few other ideas.

try an Aid with a trigger, triggered by use of powers (x, y, and or z) and the whole kit and kaboodle could be stuffed inside the EC for a better pointswise savings than outside the EC and linked. also this makes the power cost no additional actions. :)

another factor is how dependent is this power upon the EC. is there _no way_ the power could function outside of the EC?

if so then is belongs in the EC.

The Cheapest way to build the power is not necessarily the Best way to build a power, especially in HERO.

You have two options, that I can see:

1. Purchase the Aid outside of the EC and link it to each slot.

2. Purchase the Aid multiple times....adding it into each slot as a Compound Power. Each slot is then a new power which is a combination of the original power and an Aid.

From what you describe, (2) is likely the best way to do things, though if you're talking about a large-scale Aid it may get pricey.

I see no reason why it could not be in the EC...it just can't be linked to the slots. Nothing says it can't exist as part of the EC. You could even build the Aid completely as a persistant constat effect, and then apply a limitation for "only following a teleport"

Aid (xd6), Fade Rate (x/Turn), Uncontrollable, Trigger - when using Teleportation, My Teleport only (-0).

Aid (xd6), Uncontrollable, Continuous, Only works in the phase following a Teleport...

If I understand what you are trying to do, consider buying REC Limited to "Only Usable If Teleport Used Within The Last Turn" for at least a -1 1/2 if your character seldom teleports or a -1 if he teleports often, or a -1/2 if he constantly teleports.

Granted there will be a up-to-12-second lag (worst case t-ports in 1, Post Segment 12 REC after 12; best case t-ports in 12), but it works very smoothly, also recovers STUN, and is much less complicated than trying to intertwine it w/ your EC.

As an aside, its generally better to have Movement Powers in a Multipower, bcs they usually overlap and are largely exclusive, but Im sure you have your reasons for using an EC.