Doktor Destroyer's Hypno Satellite

Ghost who Walks

Starting my first thread, so be kind.

OK, over the course of several weeks of playing I finally got the players where I want. Namely, the mini-plot I have been building up to for the past 5+ years.

One of their team members had her spaceship stolen by a VIPER villain, who attempted to use it to steal some medical equipment from some aliens. The heroes of course, boarded a secondary spaceship, and chased after them.

While they were on the other world, they prevented an alien fleet from invading the Earth. (dang aliens)

Now using various methods, the heroes are going home. They will each have at least one short scenario on the way back, and it will take them a couple of months to return. Several VIPER villains are also being brought back by them.

Once they return to Earth, they are going to find everything is just as they left it. Except for a couple of minor things.

1) Minor conflicts around the world seem to be getting resolved, through diplomacy.

2) Eurostar has received a pardon, and has become the official team of Europe.

3) The President has ordered the reinstatement of the draft, to combat “Alien Aggression for beyond the Moonâ€. Villains are getting pardons if they enlist, many heroes are enlisting.

4) Various heroes and villains seem to have vanished (secretly arrested by a controlled PRIMUS, they have been transported to their secret prisons)

5) Extraterrestrials have been detained in a government military base, government claims they are in quarantine against an Earth virus. They were actually resistant to the mind control, being an “alien†class of mind.

Yep, that’s right, VIPER has finally succeeded in accessing Dr. Destroyers’ old Hypno satellite. Equipped with “stealthy†technology, the satellite has remained undetected for years. (I have mentioned it being up there frequently in the campaign, left over from Dr. Destroyer’s last scheme.

Now, while I have been thinking about running this plot for years, one question remains in my mind. Doing the satellite for champions is very easy, just mind control and some megascale. The thing I want to know, what is the most plausible way for the satellite to work?

1) Satellite is actually a psionic amplifier and transmitter. A Psionic is hooked up on the planet, and the satellite amplifies the signal. Mental Defense resists against it.

2) Satellite sends out a signal that appears subliminally on all radio and television broadcasts. Flash Defense resists against it.

3) The Satellite sends a signal that renders the human mind extremely suggestible, to anyone. Aluminum foil hats, and being Iron Man protect you against it.

4) Any other idea?

Any ideas of what VIPER may do with their control over the world are welcome. Bank robberies are possible, but why bother when you control the mint? The Supreme Serpent himself is the one controlling the Hypno satellite, who is a character of my own creation. (He’s a member of the same race as the ones who were planning to invade earlier…he was preparing the groundwork, and is waiting for the invasion fleet to show up. The heroes of course, already stopped that)

None of the people on Earth would know they are being controlled, they just find their opinions on issues changing. I was thinking that VIPER could send a signal to a small area (a couple of dozen miles), so that they could directly control the citizenry. (That way I can have a mob of mind-controlled zombies)

The resistance to the Satellite (and VIPER) is going to be a collection of both heroes and villains. Dr Destroyer will be a part of it, who wants his satellite back (he abandoned this scheme long ago, and is annoyed someone else got it to work).

You will need some kind of explanation as to why Dr. D can't just get through his own stealth tech, find the satellite, and blast it to bits. Of course, the most reasonable explanation is that he CAN, but instead wants to use the heroes to help him defeat the Supreme Serpent, so that he can then betray the heroes and just override the controls and run things himself.

My idea for how it works is: artificial psionics. Modified version of Dr. D's own cybernetic control mechanisms and mind-control implants. Transmits on common human brainwave patterns to implant ideas/thoughts deep into their subconscious. Resisted by mental defense, and most mentalists, AIs, and aliens immune as their brainwaves are too different.

Originally posted by Supreme Serpent

You will need some kind of explanation as to why Dr. D can't just get through his own stealth tech, find the satellite, and blast it to bits.

1) The satellite had a little rocket on it, to change its orbit and trajectory.

2) The Supreme serpent changed the access password from "Password" to "Kingoftheworld"

3) Destroyer launched the satellite around 25 years ago, in my campaign. Quite simply, he's forgotten how he built the dang thing (but won't admit it, of course). He also subcontracted out some fo the components to private contractors (which is why he never got it to work)

Artificial psionics could work. It would need some kind of monitoring computer/system to control a planet though. I need it to be a way that the heroes can figure out, and stop. (eventually)

If it's a psionic amplifier, it could be because of Menton's "betrayal".

Dr. D built it to control the world, using Menton as the primary component. This could be the reason Menton left, if being a component would be unpleasant [likely].

The use of an inferior psionic source, and their initial absence, allows the PCs to defend well enough to do something about it.

That could work out well. I seem to remember a Dr. Doom plot like that (was in a graphic Novel).

Doom took over the world with the aid of the "Purple Man", only Wonder Man was immune.

This will work well, psionics are fairly big in my campaign. I have Menton as "Democratically elected leader of Lithuania". It will just be a teamup. In my campaign, he is trying to create a perfect psionic society, with himslef as absolute leader.

That will allow me to have a falling out between Menton and the VIPER guys later, as they both doublecross each other.

Thanks for the idea. :D