Golem

TheNaga

Would making a PC that transferred his soul into the body of golem to gain immortality be to much? How would I go about making the character? How would as a golem the fact he has no sense of smell, taste, and touch play out? Besides having no sense of touch, taste, and smell what other disadvantages and advantages should he have as a golem?

How can I make the description below of the golem which he transfers his soul into more original? I have thought his body as a golem might be crystalline. I also have thought that In place of each arm, he has two prehensile granite tentacles that split at the end, into three radial “fingers” that reach almost down to the ground.

A nine feet tall humanoid male walks in. His whole body is composed of granite. His face is inhuman looking. His brow ridges are large and thick. His three round glowing eyes are solid yellow in color with the third eye being located in the center of his forehead. Four large stone spikes jut from each shoulder. The monstrous looking hands are fifty percent larger than normal. Both of his huge fists have three fingers and a thumb. His legs are pillar-like structures. The feet are nearly round with four toes.

Re: Golem

Taking the questions in order ...

No. I've made a fair number of characters who transfer their minds into construct bodies (usually robots rather than golems, but similar principles apply).

Several possibilities.

Phys Lim: No sense of touch, taste, and smell (Frequently, Slightly Impairing)

He'd probably be a classic brick; high Strength and Defenses, but not very fast (middling-to-low DEX and SPD). Total Life Support, because he doesn't have any biological functions whatsoever. Probably pretty heavy,depending on what he's made of, and he's pretty tall, so a Phys Lim for being nine feet tall and really heavy* as well. He can't ride in most civilian vehicles, would be inconvenienced fighting in places with low ceilings, etc.

As far as original goes, that's pretty original. Why does the guy doing the transfer build his golem to be so inhuman-looking?

*Or some Persistent Inherent Always On Density Increase and Growth, depending on how you choose to do such things.

I have thought about making characters that transfer their soul into a robot but I wanted something different.

Would I need to give him a disadvantage of Heavy? How much should that effect the character? Does the need to take less or no damage from certain attacks? How much should not being able to swim or leap effect the character? Would his running speed be lower?

I think it was me wanting the character to look different is as a golem.

Far too much. It will never fit in a modern, realistic police drama game.

In other words, whether it is too much depends entirely on the game it is being designed for. This could easily fit most Supers campaigns, many fantasy games, probably some science fiction games (although with a tech, rather than mystic, transfer). The stats would have to be adjusted to fit the power level of the game, but I echo CC that this would likely be a strong, tough, slow character compared to the campaign averages. Mental abilities depend on the backstory, but a high PRE, either in general or only for PRE attacks, would seem appropriate. Life support weight, etc. are all pretty clear. Distinctive Features would be appropriate.

I'm scared to ask how the onlooker knows the statue is male...most rocks lack gender.

6e loss of senses are generally done as a sellback, rather than a complication.

Stretching as Reach for the extended arms, and Extra Limbs might also be apropriate depending on how much differently you expect his tentacles to work from human hands.

As CC asks, why make the body so inhuman looking? Maybe he didn't make it, but discovered it and worked out some ability to make it function - and maybe its creators want it back.

Probably some psych lim's depending on how he got into the body, and likely some knowledge or similar skills to reflect how he designed it, and the transfer mechanism. Maybe a DNPC from his former life, or even the ability to switch back and forth.

I was think he helped in making the golem. I would like the golem to look as original as possible.

What if he has the following? The eyes are like semiprecious gems

I was wanting him to possible have fists of thunder and lightning. The right fist delivers a shock for an additional 3D6 points of electrical damage. The left fist delives a thunderclap whenever it hits something an additional 3D6 points of sonic damage and deafening the target for a while.

What if he wanted to be fierce some looking as a golem?

I also have thought that he might made out of something else then stone and have the ability to shoot out a bolt of lightning. If I do the golem form with made out some besides stone and it can shoot out a bolt of lightning I would like the golem to be healed by electricitical attacks. The reason for the electrical attacks is I was wanting a character with some lightning/electrical attacks. I have seen golems made out all kinds of marterials including paper, brain matter, salt, and wood.

Whether he does or doesn't look human is up to you; either way will have advantages and disadvantages depending on the GM's interpretation of things and their attention to detail.

Another thing I thought I would mention is that, possibly, as a Golem... he wouldn't classify as a "human" class of mind; depends on the nature of the transfer (the "fluff" of his origin story, nature of magic, etc.) This would make him immune to many mental affects, but I don't recall exactly how to put that onto the character sheet; I just hand-waived it as, again, such a thing has advantages and disadvantages.

Another thing to look at would be the Automaton powers - takes no stun, does not bleed, etc. These are usually not allowed to players by a lot of GM's, but are certainly fitting for some builds - just keep in mind "takes no STUN" means the only way to stop you is to kill you or at least severely damage you... so deadly attacks would be more frequently used against you.

Golems are also traditionally attributed to being highly resistant to magic, and certainly a stone golem would probably have higher defenses against physical attacks, probably fire attacks as well. Might even take the "No hit locations" power if allowed; as the stone body probably has no brain, heart, etc. Just keep in mind that also has disadvantages - they would not take double damage on head shots, but would not take half damage on arm shots either.

What if he wanted to be fierce some looking as a golem?

Striking Appearance (bonus to presence attacks to intimidate.)

On the lightning bolts? Again, will the GM allow it? Does it fit with the character? Most Golems don't have much in the way of magical attacks, at least not in D20 where most of us pull our 'knowledge' of Golems from. Doesn't mean your golem can't - again, up to you and the GM.

And, again, "Sure, you can build a 9-foot tall stone golem who doesn't bleed, takes no stun, is bullet-proof, resistant to magic, immune to mental attacks, and shoots lightning out of its eyes... but should you?"

I got the idea for the the able to shoot out a ranged lightning bolt from the golem in this link which is from 2nd addition D&D. http://www.lomion.de/cmm/goleligh.php

If anything I might make him have a crystalline body instead. His crystalline body is smooth and featureless like glass and crimson red in color. The able fire a ranged bolt of lightning and the fist of lightning and thunder sound better if he has fists though I real like the tentacles alot. I really like tentacles a lot.

The character is from Central or South America, Egypt, or the Middle East and born before Columbus. I thought that he gets traped in a cave for a period of time (say at least 375 years) before being discovered by humans.

I do not see him as being evil right now.

I have settled on him having as a golem a crystalline body which take 2x the damage from sonic attacks. What othe advanatages and disadvanatsge should the golem have since it has a crystalline body besides the weakness to sonics? The golem will not have the fist of lighnting and thunder and the ability to shoot a ranged bolt of lightning. Should I give him huge fists or the tentacles? The only ranged attack he has unless it is to much would be a bolt of light. Would it be to much if it could cause blindess? How would I work out how his body could cause blindess for a while?

If you give him Tentacles (with no hands), he would get a Phys Lim for not being able to manipulate objects easily.

A Flash seems like a perfectly justifiable attack power for a crystalline being. Should probably have a limitation that it doesn't work in dark areas, though, assuming he does it through refracting extant light.

He would not be able to manipulate objects easily even if the tentacles split at the end' date=' into three radial "fingers"? Would blunt weapons do more damage to him?[/size']

In that case, he probably wouldn't need the Phys Lim, no, if they're fairly thin.

If you want them to, they would. If you don't, they don't.

How much should he weigh? Would he better being from Central or South America, Egypt or the Middle East? How would the fact his is a pagan and worships the gods of his region play into how the golem will look like?

Should he be able to leap as a golem? The golem in the link has Tireless: Leaping +8m (12m forward, 6m upward), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +½)

How much would be a good starting point for the damage of his tentacles that split at the end, into three radial "fingers"? When I make these tentacles I make them so the character has a way of manipulating thing. I got the idea for them from the Watcher in the Water from the LOTR: The Fellowship of the Rings movie.

I think I might make him from Egypt. If I do that then he has read the forty scrolls about aliens visiting Egypt which are now kept in the Hall of Records buried under the Great Sphinx of Giza In those scrolls is says that aliens helped make the pyramids and that what people know about the building of pyramids is wrong. Also he knows from reading those scrolls that some of pharohs have had alien DNA combined with their own DNA. The golem is based on the look of Thoth (The Egyptians credited him as the author of all works of science, religion, philosophy, and magic) but with some changes though. That means he has a head in the shape of an Ibis.

What if it weighs no less then 2,500 pounds? The golem is going to be made out of a ruby crystal(s). So is 7 PD/ED is what the Crystal Golem had in the link would say 12 PD/ED be to much? A ruby has a Mohs scale hardness of 9.0. I picked the ruby because it fits with the way it will look as being crystalline not becuase of it hardness. I think if the golem could leap at all it would be reduced a lot. I was thinking it would do say 3D6 KA.

The current description of his golem body.

A nine feet tall humanoid shaped being walks in. His masculine looking ruby body is smooth and featureless like glass and crimson red in color. His head is in the shape of an ibis. His round glowing eyes are solid yellow. The monstrous looking hands are fifty percent larger than normal. In place of each arm, he has two prehensile ruby tentacles that split at the end, into three radial "fingers" that reach almost down to the ground. His legs are pillar-like structures. The feet are nearly round with four toes.

Yeah, a LOT of the questions you ask us.... we can't answer, because we aren't you. How to build stuff and general advice and theorycrafting, sure, but not stuff like character background, etc.

On jumping... depends on his weight vs. strength. Blunt weapons would probably do better than slashing / piercing on crystal or rock, really.