Indiana Jones World Map

Steve Long

http://blastr.com/2011/08/artist-creates-awesome-in.php

This is pretty impressive... but for me it fails in at least one major respect. I would order one right now, most likely, if it used actual 1936 geography. IMO a map showing the adventures of Indiana Jones should show the world as it was in 1936, not modern countries and names.

• 4 weeks later...

Re: Indiana Jones World Map

Having checked out the promotion video, it is is impressive.

Fair comment about the date of the map. However it seems to me that he is trying to cover a lot here. From Young Indy to post WW2. There were lots of changes in borders etc in that time. Also current geography helps us relate more.

3 years ... gee wizz !

Having checked out the promotion video, it is is impressive.

Fair comment about the date of the map. However it seems to me that he is trying to cover a lot here. From Young Indy to post WW2. There were lots of changes in borders etc in that time. Also current geography helps us relate more.

3 years ... gee wizz !

He could take a page from the Kelestia HarnWorld maps - layered .pdfs.

I'm not that hip to world geography, let alone world geography from 40+ years before I was born.

So what's wrong here?

I note that Burma is the correct name for the era...

Issues with the USSR?

Nuh ... lots of changes during the time. It is hard to just stop time and say this the the Indy map when the time being covered is over 40 years. EG to take the USSR. It moved from Czarist to through a number of revolutions with White russians etc until the USSR was bedded down. Also, during this time, Phillipines moved from Spain to a Commonwealth to Independence in 1945. There were also changes in European Borders at the end of WW1 and changes in Africa as countries like Italy took over territories.

Much of this is subtle and should not undermine the fine work within the map. You got to draw teh line somewhere and sometime?

I know of the Harnworld Product. Very "pretty" maps etc for Harn. Not sure how the layered pdfs work. But I should note that he was going for just one map.

The layered PDF is essentially "many maps in one."

You can toggle the layers you want on/off as desired.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...