An inherent Jinx power?

Chryckan

Re: An inherent Jinx power?

I am not sure I understand the meaning of "Limited Target Opponents."

Always On is a Limitation only if there is some drawback to having the Power in force at all times. What's the drawback here?

Lucius Alexander

Uncontrolled Palindromedary Always On

My guess would be that Limited Target Opponents means that, in normal operation, it affects only his opponents, and not his friends or neutrals. Important since it can affect either but not both kinds of targets at the same time.

The Always On disad counts because he can't turn it off when it's hurting his buddies. Even when he ultimately becomes aware of the effect, he's going to have that sitting in his way as a complication. Important to put it in place now.

It's the twist I having trouble with. How do I switch from foes to allies? How do I measure confidence/moral?

Lucius already pointed it out: Side Effect. The problem is it either requires some kind of Roll or the Side effect always applies.

This is sort of what I'm after. But what variable does loss of confidence count as?

That is the big question. And the one only you can really answer.

Overall this will be a extremely subjective thing. Nobody can really see in the characters head. You need to find a game-mechanical approach that can measures it (a required Roll is always good for such a thing).

Some ideas:

Whenever he is affected by a complication that specifically says "looses confidence when" and does not makes his EGO-Roll

PRE beign drained.

Perhaps we use a required PRE-based Power Skill, that is affected by PRE-Attack Modifiers? A +/- 1D6 on the PRE-Attack list translates to a +/-1 on the PRE-based Power Skill.

Why not just go for +4 overall levels.

Not that cheap but it does what you want: remember, this is Hero. When you need them, you get access (subject to any limitations you put on the power) to those four levels.

Someone points a gun at you and your levels mean you do not get hit: well that could be because the shot went wide, something distracted the attacker, the bullet failed to go off...

You need to diffuse a bomb and have seconds left, you grab some wires and yank...and the four levels cut in.

You really need to break out of the cell...and the four levels go into damage.

You need to find a file in a computer and have almost no time to search so take a wild guess...and the levels are used to offset a time penalty for coming down the time chart (a favourite of HyperMan, I believe).

All those things could be manifestations of luck. All of them can be done with skill levels. The described sfx can make it appear to be luck. The effect is completely quantifiable.

Exactly.

How about:

5 Overall Skill Levels (60 Base Points), Requires a "Winners Luck" Roll* (-1/2), Extreme Side Effect** (-1; random ally or himself get's -5 Bad Luck modifier on next Roll; Affects character or Environment), Always On (-1/2); 20 Real Cost

*Winners Luck is the Power Skill (call it his inner confidence; he has no idea it is a skill that can be trained). Remember that it still suffers from AP-Penalties. The the more you stress your characters luck (the more OSL you try to apply) the more likely it fires back (higher AP = higher penalty on the roll). Applying the PRE-Attack modifiers as noted above might also help.

**Value of Side Effect is subject to GM-Interpretation and overall AP of the Power.

Okay, here an alternative Writeup in the Side Effect:

Ally or himself (randomly determined) gets the inverted Effect of 5 OSL on the next action.

Inverted could mean -2 DC, -1 OCV. Or -5 OCV. It could also Affect his DCV against the next attack action. Everything OSL can affect postively, this Side Effect can affect negatively.

@Folded: Spot on. I couldn't explained it better myself.

@Christopher: That sounds interesting but as I said in the OPI'm kind of new to hero and I have to admit you totally lost me. Can you please explain exactly what those levels are or give me a reference to the rule book?

@Folded: Spot on. I couldn't explained it better myself.

@Christopher: That sounds interesting but as I said in the OPI'm kind of new to hero and I have to admit you totally lost me. Can you please explain exactly what those levels are or give me a reference to the rule book?

Overall Skill Levels, part of the Skill Levels on 6E1 88.

That is the big question. And the one only you can really answer.

Overall this will be a extremely subjective thing. Nobody can really see in the characters head. You need to find a game-mechanical approach that can measures it (a required Roll is always good for such a thing).

Good point. Let me phrase it this way instead.

What existing characteristics/skills/etc. could be used to represent character's confidence/morale?

Character concept, situation or similar concerns doesn't matter. Just pure naked game mechanics.

Of the above answers does there exists a variable characteristics/skill/etc. such as Stun or END or some way to convert a static one into a variable one.

Writing this gave me an idea. Is it possible to create a separate variable pool similar to the power Endurance Reserve to represent the characters reserve of morale points?

Good point. Let me phrase it this way instead.

What existing characteristics/skills/etc. could be used to represent character's confidence/morale?

Character concept, situation or similar concerns doesn't matter. Just pure naked game mechanics.

Of the above answers does there exists a variable characteristics/skill/etc. such as Stun or END or some way to convert a static one into a variable one.

Writing this gave me an idea. Is it possible to create a separate variable pool similar to the power Endurance Reserve to represent the characters reserve of morale points?

I already proposed a set of criteria that were all either objective and mechanical(Being overcome by a PRE attack; making or failing an EGO or PRE roll; falling unconscious) or consensus-based (Player and Game Operations Director both agree.)

The closest thing to a morale mechanic Hero uses are the PREsence rules.

Do you want to re-invent the wheel?

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary remarks that there have been times that re inventing the wheel seemed like Lucius Alexander's hobby

I already proposed a set of criteria that were all either objective and mechanical(Being overcome by a PRE attack; making or failing an EGO or PRE roll; falling unconscious) or consensus-based (Player and Game Operations Director both agree.)

The closest thing to a morale mechanic Hero uses are the PREsence rules.

Do you want to re-invent the wheel?

Sounds a little bit like it.

I too would go for PRE as confidence stat. When it is they way you would do psychological warefare, then it should be the right thing.

I also posted the Idea of a PRE-based Skill whose roll that get's all the modifiers a Presence Attack against him would get (i.e. -1 for "being at a disadvantage", +/-1 to +/-3 for Psychological Complications).

Yeah, maybe I do. :D

It just feels that I've reached a phase that the more I read Hero system rules the less I understand.

Put it away for a week and do something else. Then come back to it.

Lucius Alexander

Do I want to reinvent the palindromedary?