Reality Storm/SAS

Tom

I'm inflicting Reality Storm on some of my players and converting the SAS chars to 6e, and my detail obsessed mind has come upon a question.

Red Phoenix's powers (with the exception of her sword and armor) are bought IIF -- with no other details.

For anyone who might have SAS, does her full writeup include just what the IIF might be?

(And if so, what is it? Please?)

Re: Reality Storm/SAS

I'm not a hundred percent sure, but I think they might be supposed to be "inobvious" effects of her armour. The SAS text isn't entirely clear, and I'm not very familiar with the system, and even less with the conversion system. A lot of details seem to have been lost in the conversion, unsurprisingly.

PS: Actually, it looks like the character should technically be built as a Multiform, with her armour and sword appearing in her Red Phoenix identity, and going away in her normal form.

OIHID would be another alternative, but then you would end up stacking OIHID and Focus bonuses, which is iffy.

The way listed in Reality Storm works well enough. Her armour "is" her Hero ID, and while it's present she gets the other stuff. Nice and simple.

Re: Reality Storm/SAS

The origin story states that she found a mystic weapon, embedded in the Iron Duke's chest. The future Green Ronin popped up just after she first touched it. They wrestled for control of the weapon, then it melted away into a silvery liquid metal. Red Phoenix got most of the power, Green Ronin the next biggest slice, and Iron Duke absorbed enough to recover and get a strength boost.

The part Rachel is described as getting gives her partial armor and an energy sword.

Later in the origin, it states that she can summon the mystic armament and transform into her amazonian bod with just a thought.

The following powers are bought through an Item of Power: Armor, Enhanced Stat (Body), Flight, Force Field, Immovable, Special Attack (Phoenix Blade). I'm guessing these are what was intended by the IIF. Maybe they figured the armor was removable? I dunno. I'd go with OIHID for these personally.

Her powers outside the Item of Power are: Alternate Form: Red Phoenix (boosts physical stats and combat abilities), Dynamic Power: Magic, Reincarnation (Not for Rachel apparently, but for a new manifestation of Red Phoenix, in the form of the next "heir"), Special Defense (age, disease, poison, hunger, pain, sleep).

Since the text explicitly states that she transforms AND summons the sword/armor, and doesn't mention her being able to do either independently (though her write up seems to indicate such), I'm inclined to go with OIHID. I don't think given the background (no physical object mentioned after being covered by the silvery metal stuff), that she should have gotten the Item of Power for the sword and armor. It's pretty vague. She's covered in silvery metal stuff, a big flash happens, she's now in armor with an energy sword, and later she can transform into her hero body with the armor and sword on. That strongly implies the weaponry goes away when not in use. It could also mean she has a Witchblade type arm band or whatever, but none such is mentioned.

Generally, the SAS book and rules are pretty fast and loose, so you could interpret it either way. I remember in the beta test trying to get a firm answer on just what the Powerlifting skill does in game mechanics terms, and the authors refusing to give a real answer. So, you can lift stuff with a minimal chance of injury. So, what are the rules for injuring yourself by performing feats of strength? Oh, there are none. Why buy the skill? Flavor? I can just write down "good at feats of strength" in my bio and save the six pts per level on the skill. . . and the six point level is "This is appropriate for Skills that define a particular campaign setting and will be vital in nearly all aspects of a story." So vital, they lack supporting game mechanics? Not that the game's terrible, but that's an insight into their design philosophy, so feel free to improvise to whatever actually makes sense to you.