Limitations on Auto-fire

bigbywolfe

I’m sure this has been covered on the boards before and may even be covered in the rules but I don’t have both books with me.

If an Auto-fire attack can only be used on a single target is that worth a Limitation and if so what value would you put on it? Some examples might be a “Double Tap” ability built as a 2-Shot Auto-fire Naked Power Advantage for up to 45 AP, only with semi-automatic weapons, single target only, or an assault rifle with a 3-round burst mode, meant to hit a single target, not lay down fire across a room. Thanks in advance.

P.S. Any Dark Champions players or GMs have a different way for building a “double tap” skill/ability?

Re: Limitations on Auto-fire

I’m sure this has been covered on the boards before and may even be covered in the rules but I don’t have both books with me.

If an Auto-fire attack can only be used on a single target is that worth a Limitation and if so what value would you put on it? Some examples might be a “Double Tap” ability built as a 2-Shot Auto-fire Naked Power Advantage for up to 45 AP, only with semi-automatic weapons, single target only, or an assault rifle with a 3-round burst mode, meant to hit a single target, not lay down fire across a room. Thanks in advance.

P.S. Any Dark Champions players or GMs have a different way for building a “double tap” skill/ability?

Dark Champions, IIRC, doesn't give much of a limitation for "single target" autofire: -0 or -1/4 at the most.

Another way to build the "Double Tap" ability is simply using the multiple attack maneuver. (Full phase; -2 to both attacks; 1/2 DCV) This maneuver doesn't cost any points, but it's not very effective "off the shelf." To make it into a "super skill" I'd buy a Combined Power with Rapid Attack (so it only takes a half phase), plus OCV and DCV skill levels, with the following limitations:

• only two shots
  • only one target
  • only to offset multiple attack CV penalties

I would think in most cases it would be simpler to buy Autofire as a naked advantage. The benefit of buying Rapid Attack and CSL's is that you wouldn't have to scale it to the active points of the attack power. You know, in case you need to "double tap" kaiju with a tank gun. Or something like that....

Re: Limitations on Auto-fire

I think burst is easily done in one of two ways:

Deadly sprayfire (APG I 36) is ideal for the extra damage/higher chance to stop the target Burst are afaik used for in RL.

Or make the burst a generally bigger attack (by 10-15 AP) in the same multipower.

For examples:

Single Shot: 2d6 Killing and +3 OCV compound power

Burst: 3d6 Killing, extra Charges

Autofire: 2d6 Killing, Autofire (5 Shots; +1/2) or 2d6+1, Autofire (3 Shots; +1/4)