STR Feats

Dr Divago

Hi

i always wonder how can i made a Strenght Feat

on 6E1 43 i found STR table who let me know how much i can lift; i can assume i need no roll to lift this but as a GM i could ask for a roll to lift this 3,2 ton veichle

but what if i need more strenght feat like:

a) a str vs str comparison, like in the "arm wrestling"?

as a GMI i can assume a STR roll for both side and count normal damage body (like a limited form of grab)

B) open a door; maybe i use my telekynesis to smash open a door(i assume you don't punch the door but just pull or push until joint crashes)

as a GM thought a quick rule: roll for STR, count normal damage BODY and compare it with PD+BODY of the door.

for a robust door i could let "add" the normal damage body rolled over the time, maybe 1 roll every turn or add only the ones who do more than a fixed value (more than half PD for instance)

this assume, if i can lift a 3 ton car i can also open a 300 kg door just pushing it

c) keep a door/trapdoor open

for instance, block a trapdoor with my body to let someone else pass under my legs, or keep open the emergency door of a building with my wide hands to let people pass

i can think about assigning a STR value to the door/trapdoor and then made player get a STR vs STR comparison like in (a)

or to keep dice rolling low, i can also assign a fixed value to the door/trapdoor

what do you think?

there is an "official" rule i don't remember/don't know, in 6E manuals?

Re: STR Feats

Hi

i always wonder how can i made a Strenght Feat

on 6E1 43 i found STR table who let me know how much i can lift; i can assume i need no roll to lift this but as a GM i could ask for a roll to lift this 3,2 ton veichle

That is with the Power skill.

but what if i need more strenght feat like:

a) a str vs str comparison, like in the "arm wrestling"?

as a GMI i can assume a STR roll for both side and count normal damage body (like a limited form of grab)

Yes. That is how you resolve a contest of STR. Each roll your STR/5 in Dice and count the Body. Higher Body wins or moves ahead in the contest. In some cases, such as Arm Wrestling, the GM may designate a "threshold" that a character needs to win by, and thats how many Body "ahead" of his opponent your character must achieve which works great for certain contests of STR such as Arm Wrestling or a Tug-o-War.

B) open a door; maybe i use my telekynesis to smash open a door(i assume you don't punch the door but just pull or push until joint crashes)

as a GM thought a quick rule: roll for STR, count normal damage BODY and compare it with PD+BODY of the door.

for a robust door i could let "add" the normal damage body rolled over the time, maybe 1 roll every turn or add only the ones who do more than a fixed value (more than half PD for instance)

this assume, if i can lift a 3 ton car i can also open a 300 kg door just pushing it

In most cases, your GM will simply determine if your character is strong enough to open the door (such as in the case of a heavy stone door or something) or will make it a Contest of STR and require your character to achieve a certain Body threshold as above, or your character can simply attack the door/barrier and smash through by doing damage. If your character is strong enough, they can use their Casual STR[/b] which is exactly half of their normal STR dice, to attack the barrier and if this amount is enough to get through the Body and Defense of the barrier, it doesn't stop the character at all. (it is essentially a 0 phase action to get through the door)

c) keep a door/trapdoor open

for instance, block a trapdoor with my body to let someone else pass under my legs, or keep open the emergency door of a building with my wide hands to let people pass

i can think about assigning a STR value to the door/trapdoor and then made player get a STR vs STR comparison like in (a)

or to keep dice rolling low, i can also assign a fixed value to the door/trapdoor

You can make it a contest of STR and assign the door a STR value based on how much STR is required to lift it, or you could simply require a specific amount of STR to keep it lifted. If the character can't quite lift the door, they can Push their STR and make Ego rolls to keep the door open. But they can only do this for so long before they run out of END and SLAM!.

what do you think?

there is an "official" rule i don't remember/don't know, in 6E manuals?

Try The Ultimate Brick. It will talk about all this and a whole lot more.

Things like "write in metal" or "press coal so hard it becomes a diamond" are classical examples of the "Superstrenght" Power Skill.

a) Your rulign is the official one, foudn on 6E1 43.

B) Depends on your definition of "open". I asume you mean "breaking through, head first" than the answer is 6E2 170ff and espcially the tables on 171 + 172. But also note the Rules for Casual STR and breaking trhough obstacles on 6E1 131f "Casual use of Powers" (and STR). That way supers can easily smash or blast their way through obstacles without even expending an action.

And for hard walls/doors you can always consider a move through (but if you don't get through, you take the full damage yourself of course).

c) APG I 10 has some "Lifting parameters" with wich you can calculate how much they can lift/press in unpractical poses.

TY to all

i was arguing about "push open a door", not smash through

(the latter implies doing damage)

i mean: if a door is stuck, you need to push the door to open it; same if it's locked

smash open the door is creating an hole punch sized (or more if your name is Adam Jensen) but it's an hole. Something you need to crouch inside, to smash open with more attacks and like

i'm thinking about pushing the door, just pushing: if i can lift a car can i open a door stuck or helded? or telekynetically pulling to "rip off" the door from hinges?

or i need just to do damage and smash through?

for instance: an external wooden door is PD 4 and BODY 3. This means with STR 20 and average roll i can't smash through; with STR 25 and average roll i need 3 phase to smash through (and doing an hole roughly man sized)

but with STR 25 i can lift a 800 kg, way more than the weight of the door plus hinges; so if i tk pull the door to open... i need to smash through hitting with tk fist? but given enough time, just pushing or pulling would rip open the door: it's just a wooden door pulled by 800 kg str!

i whould thing on something like roll every turn, add the normal damage body, and when this is over PD+BODY the door open/smash, but seems to much "bending the rules". Or i can just roll for damage and special effect is "you slowly pull the door until it's opened"... but then why i should pull the door and not smash open it with a powerful attack?

new topic:

if more then one PC try open a door, move an object, and like (assumint the object is big enough for two-three-more PC to pull) should i add their STR for lifting purpose? or add their lifting value?

if they are in a contested STR roll (like keep an airlock door open by pushing together the doors) they need add the Normal Damage BODY from STR roll? or add their lifting and calculate STR equivalent?

I'd add their Lift together for opening a door, moving an object, etc. Four 10 STR characters move 400 kg, not the 1.6 tonnes a 40 STR character could move.

Extrapolating from that, I'd add all the Lifts together and use that STR for normal damage rolls for the team. Otherwise, 8 10 STR characters easily hold back a 60 STR airlock door.

It may not matter much which way you choose, since you would presumably set the challenge based on the approach you are using. However, making the airlock door "clearly too strong" for the group needs about 120 - 150 if we add the STR together first, so we get an inflation of STR values.

I'd add their Lift together for opening a door' date=' moving an object, etc. Four 10 STR characters move 400 kg, not the 1.6 tonnes a 40 STR character could move.[/quote']

That is also the official rule on "Combined Strenght". Just summ up their lifting weights, the resulting lift defines the combined STR (6E1 41).

i mean: if a door is stuck, you need to push the door to open it; same if it's locked
If a door is stuck, you determien the STR of the jam that has to be overcome in a STR vs STR contest.

If a door is locked and you only aim to break the lock, then you are just trying to smash the door for me. Maybe I would regard it as a haymakered attack (aim for weakpoint) or would allow a beam attack to open the door (despite not workign agaisnt normal barriers). When I break the lock of a door by defintion the barrier (the wall including door) now has a "man sized hole" you can move through. The only difference is that extra damage can't cause a bigger hole.

"Unhinging a door": Again, just make it a SFX for a smash through. I would be a way to do damage agaisnt the door with a TK "Affects whole object" but otherwise just a normal break door maneuver.

Wheter I brake the lock, break the hinges or turn the entire door into pieces: It's gone and won't impede movement in any way anymore.