Multiform with Cosmetic Variations

ned-kogar

Hello.

I want to make a character who can turn into, eg. three basic types of bird (eg. small bird, medium sized raptor, large flightless bird) but who could vary the species so that the stats remained the same, but there was some variation of size and colour. What would be the best way of making this power, please?

I'd thought about Multiform with Variable Special Effects, but that was expressly dismissed by Steve Long in an old thread (though that may've been for 5E...).

What other ways might I do it?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Ned

Re: Multiform with Cosmetic Variations

If I was GMing it, I would look at the utility of the differences. If you just had slightly different looks at different times, but were still largely identifiable as a particular character, I'd call it a +0 Advantage and let it go. If it actually served a purpose that affected gameplay, I'd call it a +1/4 Custom Advantage on the Multiform, and call it good there. If the purpose was for you to imitate other specific characters (PCs or NPCs) with this, then I'd require a Shape Shift of some kind as part of the Multiform's powers. More than likely, for the build you have described, I'd go with option 1, a +0 Advantage.

I agree with folded:

At worst it's a Shape Shift (sight).

At best, a +0 Advantage.

It all depends on the in game utility of it.

Also, don't forget that a Power roll could be enough to change what species exaclty your "Bird form #2" is. But that too depends on just what utiltiy you get from it.

Thanks folks - very good points, which got me thinking in more detail about the utility.

Overnight (Hero's the only game system I dream about), I've come round to the idea of perhaps having small differences between forms, so I might end up adding a (small) VPP to each form. This would allow me to define the three forms as small, medium and large birds - and the VPP would allow eg. medium to include raptors and diving birds.

Also, it struck me that I'd want the character to leave bird DNA at crime scenes, etc - so I'll be needing Shapeshift with the Cellular adder.

Even in a low-powered supers game, I think these will be eminently affordable. Thanks for pushing me into deeper thinking.

Cheers,

Ned

Using a zoomorph characters, I build more powerful forms as specific forms (eg. Rhino, Elephant, Lion) and built some less powerful forms as Small Bird, Small Mammal, Small Fish each with Shapeshift to select from a wide variety of such creatures.

I think I put a Multipower in one or more of these to get small abilities relevant to the specific form (the MP being locked based on the form selected). A VPP would work for wider variations.