How to do Psychomancie ?

IKerensky

One of my players want a psychomancie power.

He describe it as : "Being able to use an object as its last owner do by reading the psychic imprint".

I am thinking about 3 way to do it :

1- a variable power framework: with skills, Combat skills level, PS, SS and KS with several limitations : only work for with skills, Combat skills level, PS, SS and KS, OAF, requires END(?), limited by the skill of the last owner, object need to have been owned long... I am not entirely satisfied with this approach because it is a bit too open and can be abused easily

2- A large number of generic CSL with the limitation : OAF, limited by the skill of the last owner of the used focus. But it wont work for others skills as there is no generic skills.

3- A transform ?

The other thing I see if that he use more and more of the same item the psychic imprint should lessen thus I am thinking about charges, perhaps. On the other hand perhaps he use always the same items then make it simply skills and CSL with a OAF. But then he wont be able to learn new items during game.

Re: How to do Psychomancie ?

Hmmm. It is an interesting idea. I am for the idea of using a VPP. I think that I would avoid skills if I could and instead provide powers that reflected the ability of the last user.

For example, wearing the camouflage jacket of John Spectre, the CIA's most effective sniper, the player would get stealth (represented by invisibility to sight and sound, limited to requiring a DEX roll). Using the pistol of Billy the Kid, the player gets a ranged killing attack built advantaged to get the first attack in. I would also purchase two or three overall skill levels, only for use with these powers.

Doc

One of my players want a psychomancie power.

He describe it as : "Being able to use an object as its last owner do by reading the psychic imprint".

The question how to handle it, depends in part just how you handle items in your campaign:

When Equipment is free (not bought with poitns), then the small VPP for the Skills/WF's would be enough.

When Equipment is bought with points:

I'd propably make an VPP with big enough to build whatever item/power he wants to use. This would certainly include attack powers (be it the Gun of a Viper Agent or Foxbats pingpong-ball gun), so the AP should be around 60 (or where teh campaign limit lies).

Reasoning: He propably will use equipment of others a lot. In fact it might be the only equipment he uses. Thus his writeup should include the fact that he can indeed create any power that has an Focus.

The other thing I see if that he use more and more of the same item the psychic imprint should lessen thus I am thinking about charges' date=' perhaps. On the other hand perhaps he use always the same items then make it simply skills and CSL with a OAF. But then he wont be able to learn new items during game.[/quote']

With the "Skill VPP" the Active Points of every slot will be low. So how about aplying a modified version of "Time Modifiers" Limitation (for clairsentience; 6E1 181)?

Yes, in this campaign the equipment require point to pay. So this definitely is a VPP.

I didn't thought he had to build the items power to use it but it make sense.

Funny thing it that he look like a gadgeteer with a limit on the gadget he can provide (object have to exist within reach). If you consider he also gain Skill level with the item, how much should I put the power pool ? Especially as he can use a lot of thoses items at the same time...

Also, what if he keep the item ? wont it lock his VPP ?

The items become essentially foci for the powers in his VPP. He hass no real control over the VPP, it simply replicates the abilities that others had depending on the items the character can find to use.

It is a lovely idea - reminiscent of some Tim Powers stories. You seek out the artifacts of famous people because their psychic imprint imbues the items through which they exercised their skills and talents. If you can find something proper - you get good abilities; if you find something related you might get a lesser ability (either lower ability level or activation roll).

Having the item does not mean it is active, just that it is available and if someone takes the focus then he loses access to the ability.

The question of looking like a gadgeteer is simply in the write-up of the stats. If you, instead overlay the flavour of the items he has acquired then it looks nothing like a gadgeteer...he looks like a wizard of some kind...

Doc

Funny thing it that he look like a gadgeteer with a limit on the gadget he can provide (object have to exist within reach). If you consider he also gain Skill level with the item' date=' how much should I put the power pool ? Especially as he can use a lot of thoses items at the same time...[/quote']

The items become essentially foci for the powers in his VPP. He hass no real control over the VPP' date=' it simply replicates the abilities that others had depending on the items the character can find to use.[/quote']

It is also close to a Mimicing VPP with "All Slots IIF" and some limitation for the harder change (it's more than just touching the enemy). He could even let out the Skill Roll entirely (it takes some free time and concetration to "feel the vibe" of the item, nothing he could do in combat).

Also, what if he keep the item ? wont it lock his VPP ?
Having the item does not mean it is active' date=' just that it is available and if someone takes the focus then he loses access to the ability.[/quote']

As Doc said. It doesn't means he "feels the vibe" of it. The Pool of his VPP determines how many Real Points worth of items he can use at a time and Limitations only apply to the Controll Cost.

For Skill Levels, I would just have him buy CSL with the VPP (5 points are "everything in a Multipower", and they could be right for this too). Basically anything he buys in it, he has a good ability with.

But his general OCV/DCV could be quite low,so when he picks up the Viper agent gun without "attuning" to it first, he might not hit the broad side of a barn with it.

Anotehr good way might be Overall Skill Level (12 pt; usefull for any Roll) with Limitations.