6th Edition Heroic Action Points

I'm not sure how y'all feel about HAPs, but I personally think they're pretty neat- They encourage cinematic drama, but have solid mechanical structure to their useage- two great things about HERO that taste great together! I'm planning on implementing them into my next campaign, but I feel like having a predefined amount at the beginning of each session or whatever is fairly bland, so I had an idea...

They rather remind me of Fate Points (From FATE), and I was thinking that the players could earn HAPs in the same way that they are earned in FATE- by roleplaying their character, or more specifically, acting in accordance with aspects of the character that complicate his life... like, well, his Complications.

Example: The guy with Enraged might make his roll to stay under control- but then I, the GM, could slide a Poker chip(what I plan on using to represent the points) across the table and say "Maybe your character loses his cool after all... whaddya say, Champ?" He CAN turn me down, but he's also turning down a chance to do something amazing with that point later on. I'm slightly worried that this will lessen the impact of Complications, but I hope making Complications into a mixed blessing might make the players more willing to roleplay their faults, and not just their strengths.

In addition to any thoughts on my proposed idea, I'd also love to hear any stories of HAPs being used to good effect in a campaign.

Re: 6th Edition Heroic Action Points

I do recall in the leadup to 6e, there was some discussion about using HAP to reward complications coming into play (with the countering fear that this would encourage players to try to overfocus on complications). Leaving the existing mechanics, with the player paying a HAP to succeed in a roll to mitigate his complications, and the potential opposing bid from the GM, would seem a reasonable approach.

The purpose of complications is to add challenges and spice to the game, so I don't see offering a HAP to let the Enraged roll fail being any more problematic than awarding a "good roleplaying" xp bonus when players really play their characters' personalities - including negative aspects like complications.

On page 415 of 6E1 "TOOLKITTING: HEROIC ACTION POINTS AND COMPLICATIONS" has an optional rule where the characters get their full Total Points regardless of complications but when the complications come into play (by the gm or through approved suggesion of the player) they get HAPs. This is very much like gaining fate points when an aspect is compelled or invoked against you.

I was very pleased to see this optional rule in the core books (along with seeing the HAPs in general).

• 4 weeks later...

I came up with a house rule for tying HAPs and Complications together that I think handles things a lot more fairly (of course, that's my opinion; YMMV). You can read all about it in the following thread:

http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php/84974-Tying-Heroic-Action-Points-to-Complications