Befuddle Loyalties

Beazulbob

I'm wondering what people think of this power and my interpretation of it:

Darkness, sight, sound, touch, smell, -1/2 does not prevent basic senses, just ability to identify friend from foe, identify friends (you note that people are there, just not who is wearing the blue shirt, whose been a friend since childhood, which of the 4 people in the area has a gun and talking doesn't help. You know people are there, but you couldn't say which is the child, the mother, or grandfather. Just bodies - and not mass or shape. Attacks are at full CV.

Does this sound kosher? Too much? Too little? Too weird?

Re: Befuddle Loyalties

It is interesting' date=' you might use Images instead.[/quote']

My first idea would be images as well.

As I understand it this power is supposed to supress only the "Discriminatory" part of the Senses.

However, Targetting, Range and everything else seems to be left intact, is that right?

Yes - the concept is that discriminatory goes out the window. You know how many creatures are in the area' date=' but telling who is who is no longer possible. I didnt' think this would be within the power scope of images. Do you have a build in mind?[/quote']

I think it is perfectly in the scope of images:

Images is all about "creating a sensation where none is" and "fooling discriminatory senses". Image would take the all or nothing aspect out of it if you want to go that way (and it might be cheaper, but would have to calculate that).

A third option could be CE, only to Affect Discrimination. technically you have to make a Roll to identify (discriminate) a target, but in most cases "Perception Roll" means "seeing it and identifying it as relevant" - so it's one roll for both.

But the Darkness build is still a very suiteable thing as well. The only question is how much the limitation is worth:

The target still has his Full DCV.

It is not directly hindered from attacking. But indirectly (by being unable to discern between possible targets). The target still has it's memory about the previous positions.

A decent Mentalsit with Mind Link + Mind Scan can direct his team, but that will pretty much take his concetration and him out of the fight.

Using such a broad array of senses might be to much for any darkness - it could be impossible to avoid without the right character (mentalist). It is tollerable if it has no Hole in the middle/Personal Immunity/Selective or has other downsides for the user (like Concentration) but otherwise I would put in some holes in the Sense groups (smell and touch might be okay).

Here is a strange way that might just work since you do not want a power that will have a direct effect on the environment:

12d6 Mind Control: Set Effect (Befuddle Loyalties) [6]

As built, the power does target only one person but it would not hard to make it affect an area with the AoE modifier.

Here is a strange way that might just work since you do not want a power that will have a direct effect on the environment:

12d6 Mind Control: Set Effect (Befuddle Loyalties) [6]

Not affecting the anything but Sentients can be doen with the Psionics Limitation (one of the APG's).

I would think Mental Images would be better than Mind Controll, as MI is designed to change your perception of the world not how you act. But both might be a to complex/ineffective mechanic for the effect.