Help: Canonical CU references to Lurranga? and some ideas.

assault

I've got an idea for an African character, and I'm looking at a homeland for him. I'd rather not use a real country. The CU has two mythical countries - Lugendu and Lurranga. Lugendu is in west Africa, while Lurranga is in central Africa. Lurranga is a better match.

Unfortunately, while Lugendu is covered in some detail, there doesn't seem to be anything published about Lurranga, apart from a comment about it being "heavily involved in the drug trade and other forms of transnational crime, and sometimes thus attract(ing) the attention of foreign supers".

I've looked in 6e CU, 5e CU, 5e CU - News of the World, and 5e Champions Worldwide. I did find a brief section in the 4e Dark Champions supplement Justice, Not Law, but it, obviously, was written for DC rather than the current CU. Have I missed anything?

I think I probably can do what I want to with the character there. There doesn't seem to be anything to prevent it. I was kind of going for a Sudan/Uganda feel, and Lurranga seems to work.

Basically, the character was a subject of an attempt to create supersoldiers, before he managed to escape and become a refugee. After being resettled in Campaign City...

He'd probably be a villain, although I have previously worked a similar theme for a hero (sidekick/trainee). My assumption would be that he was sufficiently brutalised by his experiences that he wouldn't be able to fit in and would turn to crime.

This is part of a mini-project of mine at the moment, which is to do visual designs of a number of characters, and fill in the mechanical builds afterwards. Amongst other things, I'm experimenting with assigning each character a major colour to their costumes, chosen from those easily created by the "four-colour" process. So, basically, I have 8 characters, each associated with one of Cyan, Magenta, Yellow, Black, Red, Green, Blue and White. Four are female, four are male.

This guy is one of my ideas for "White". Basically, I was thinking that a darker skin would make a good contrast with a white costume. Of course, DC's Tyroc suggests that might not be true, but that's complicated by Stupid Costume Syndrome. There's also the question of "how dark"? Full bore southern Sudanese-type colouring might be a bit too much of a contrast. I am, after all, mainly working with the visuals at the moment - the rest of the character will depend on that. He doesn't have to be African, either. He's not from the US, and probably isn't indigenous Australian, but anything else is fair game.

Re: Help: Canonical CU references to Lurranga? and some ideas.

The only other canon reference to Lurranga I've found is in Book Of The Destroyer p. 115, which lists the vice-president of Lurranga among the corrupt government officials in Destroyer's pocket. Unfortunately, with the change to the Champions Universe timeline brought about by Champions Online's introduction of Shadow Destroyer, there's no telling whether that still applies in the 6E CU. And with the current state of Hero Games, it seems unlikely we'll get more up-to-date info in the foreseeable future.

Personally, I find the open-endedness of Lurranga an opportunity to fill in some of the blanks for my own campaigns. However, there are a few canon references which could easily apply to Lurranga, and could be used as a springboard to story elements. For example, Champions Universe: News Of The World p. 154 reveals that the chunk of kelvarite UNTIL beat Joseph Otanga to in 2007, was part of a meteor shower which scattered bits of it over half the continent. Significant amounts coud have landed in Lurranga.

The Mystic World p. 51 (sidebar) describes a mysterious occult family or cult called the Magambo, appearing relatively recently, but whose influence has spread throughout Central Africa, fostering war and brigandage. Their true nature, as well as their base of operations, is unknown.

Champions Universe 6E p. 59 mentions that the super-metal questionite is "found only in certain rare deposits," but doesn't list where those deposits are located.

Of course resources like these could attract any of the major international power-players of the Champions Universe: VIPER, DEMON, ARGENT, the Warlord, the Circle of the Scarlet Moon, etc.; as well as regional super menaces like Joseph Otanga, the White Rhino, or the Pan-African Brotherhood and their super operative, Ironhorn.

BTW there's a fair-sized description of Lurranga in the Fourth Edition HERO version of the Champions Universe book, but obviously that can't be considered to hold true for the current Lurranga. But if that could be useful to you, I doubt anyone would mind my transcribing it here.

BTW there's a fair-sized description of Lurranga in the Fourth Edition HERO version of the Champions Universe book' date=' but obviously that can't be considered to hold true for the current Lurranga. But if that could be useful to you, I doubt anyone would mind my transcribing it here.[/quote']

I've got 4e CU, so there's no need to transcribe it.

Obviously I hadn't looked in there. It's certainly a thought.

I treated the Justice Not Law version as "likely to be canonical", since it was, of course, Steve's work, and thus unlikely to be overwritten.

Your other suggestions are interesting, too. Thanks.

Ordinarily, I wouldn't care about canon, but I'm intentionally trying to make these characters CU compatible.

When a discussion of new zones for Champions Online broke on the Cryptic Studios forums, I started a thread illustrating my ideas for how the above suggestions could be woven together, and soliciting input. If you're curious you can view that thread here: http://forums.champions-online.com/showthread.php?t=136053