Complications Tips and Advice

Inspired by the "Player Tips" and recent "DMing Tips" threads, I figured I would start a new such "tips" thread with a particular focus this time. In this case, Complications and related elements from other RPGs. This can be advice for GMs and players.

Let's get this started then.

1. Complications are Contractual. If a player gives their character a particular Complication, they are agreeing to be subjected to it in gameplay, so don't be afraid to use them. In fact, as a GM, consider it your responsibility to invoke Complications game in and game out on your PCs. Your players took them, so you should use them.

Re: Complications Tips and Advice

I agree with your post Main man. One thing though is to make sure that players understand this concept. some players might be under the impression of I'll take the logical disadvantages (complications) and not realize that the paradigm has shifted. For example, older editions, everyone took secret ID, sometimes it didn't make sense. Now that we are focusing on what you want to happen in game, a player my not want to deal with the hassle therefore just because it makes sense, don't take it. Historical note-Style disdavantage for martial arts was created to help pay for points, but not so much to hinder a character. Though later additions gave rules to make the disadvantage a disadvantage.

Re: Complications Tips and Advice

2. Discuss your complications with the GM to ensure you share a common understanding of their interpretation.

The time to find out you think "Code vs Killing, 20 points" means "My character would only deliberately take a life under the most extreme circumstances" and your GM considers it to mean "My character will never use lethal force against any living foe, nor will he tolerate anyone else doing so, lethal force being anything in excess of 4DC's" is not in the first combat!