Conduct Codes

Bolon

Re: Conduct Codes

I'd like to weigh in on the side that believes a player should only take a Psychological Limitation that they'll enjoy playing, and will therefore NOT try to roll against under most circumstances. Someone who takes a Psy Lim and then proceeds to do everything in their power to act as though they don't have it is Doing It Wrong. If you're not going to enjoy acting out your Limitations, don't take them.

In other words, Psych Lims are "free points" NOT because you can get around them with a roll, but because your character would act like that anyway!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In other words' date=' Psych Lims are "free points" NOT because you can get around them with a roll, but because your character would act like that anyway![/quote']

I try to take them that way. I take complications that naturally come with the Character Design. Things I think would make sense for that Character.

I agree. They should come from a thought of how the character would act and not be thought of as making the character more difficult to run. The complications should be as the character would act. I do see some who see it as something to screw the character with. The codes of conduct would be as a samurai, cop, soldier or whatever would be to help define the "role". I have the EGO roll so the player knows that they are doing something against their design and once the roll is made, they are accepting the consequences. It might be a throwback to my role versus roll playing philosophy. We have a rule of not rolling the dice unless you are asked to roll to promote playing it out in role. It is like talking it out before you start shooting except we talk it out before we throw dice. The call for a dice roll makes the player think on how they might avoid it or improve it. It opens it up for discussion, complementary rolls, tactics and anything to make it clear before the bones hit the table. It is a way my groups and friends have dealt with this.