Galaxy Rangers!

Ric Conway

I've kicked this idea around for years, and I'm finally going to do it, so I'm wondering: Has anyone out there run Galaxy Rangers in Champs or Star Hero?

I'm thinking Heroic level with exceptions made for the PCs badge powers (End battery with charges to activate, and they CAN tap into personal END, but it's not a good idea)

Any thoughts?

Thanks guys!

Re: Galaxy Rangers!

I just started watching the show.

One common GM trap when trying to make a show world, is to pre-determine too much. Often the characters in those shows tend to be "similar, but not equal". For each one the Star could be a totally different limitation with totally different built.

In the 5 epsiodes I have seen so far, the strongest limit I would give for the Star is Focus (OIF).

While they aren't using thier powers 24/7, this could have other reason that a time limit/limited Endurance.

Things/uses that happen only in 2-3 of the 65 Episodes should perhaps not be modeled at all. Such stuff can be done using the Power Skill.

For the powerlevel, I think high Heroic, too low Superheroic for the characters. They are clearly beyond the normal level when using thier implants/stars.

What I have seen of the heroes and read on wikipedia:

Zachary Foxx:

The Arm can be used Defensively (OCV for Block, Defenses on Activation Roll). With the implant active there is some Superstrenght and a strong blast (either a Multipower, or using rules like spreading to attack groups).

Shane Gooseman:

Extra Defenses, only retroactively or when using the Star (personal idea: If your defense is "retroactively", it doesn't prevents damage now. But the damage is "wound back" once the condition is met).

Could see his adaption as a VPP, No Controll over what he get's (but at lower than book level, they are always benificial). His first adaption to vacuum was "trunign to stone", so it's not a big VPP (he had to limit those LS considerably).

Also some Superstrenght (basicsally anything the Supertroopers have naturally).

He could be the only one who actually bough his horse (the others just get it as equipment as the adventure allows it). Also intersting that he has his own A.I. and often flies in his own fighter.

Niko:

I would say partially Limited Powers could be the way to go. i.e. she has a bought a 12 DC Mind Blast, but can only use 8 DC when not using the Implant. If you use the end battery approach, I think the partially limited part could come from the battery.

Walter:

He seems to have some Followers (permanently Desolidified Automatons?), that allow him to use Mental Powers vs. the machien group.

On the other hand those "Programsm" could just be a special effect. Will have to see how often they do stuff without supervision.

I am not certain what his implant does. He has used programms without activating it.

Waldo:

The Force Field (generated by the ring?), might be better build as Forcewall/Barrier. Maybe it also has a damage shield (not certain if people a knocked out by "impact" damage or by touching). Seems to be the rather scientific kind.

Cybersteeds:

Vehicles with Computer, or Automatons with Movent, Usable by ohters (carried)

Queen of Crown:

I am not certain if she is directly encountered. She might be able the Mind Link/Clarisentince, only though eyes of others on any Overseer.

Are there different Kinds of Overseer (ones with "normal" stones, and ones with human made stones?). Can she use her mental Powers through a overseer or are the overseer mroe powerfull when she is in command?

Re: Galaxy Rangers!

Okay, watched a few more episodes:

The Stars:

Seem similar to the Green lantern Rings. Personal IIF (only those with implants can use them, but they are interchangeable). There existence is propably both a plot device and a security feature (the implants are worthless without a Star and the charge is limited, so a rogue Ranger isn't a big problem like the Supertroopers).

They seem to be able to "pool" their power, when touching thier hands.

So similar to the GL Rings, you have to decide how limiting they should be in effect in your game. I could see them anywhere from simply IIF + a Dependence Complciation, too a big Endurance Reserve with recovery only at base. In the later case players should be allowed to buy implant Powers with Reduced Endurance (they trained to use the power efficiently).

Zacharia:

Nothing new. Seems to be the most simple one (but then again, he didn't really had a character Episode yet).

Goose:

Tricky power. It seem to be at least three:

Adaptive Protection: He get's defenses suited to an attack form. This may include impacts, or enegry damage. The adaption can be retroactively (eliminate damage he took in previous phases), but also seems to be instantly (he didn't die from a hitting theg ground or falling into lava). It might be limited to only certain sfx, but a broader group (i.e. Lava heat and Laser Weapons).

This includes Life Supports.

Material Mimiking: This seems to be similar to what Absorbing Man (hulk's foe) does.

Lifeform Mimiking: He seem to able to mimik lifeforms as well (like the bug aliens in one epsiode).

Sugested Build:

A VPP. Endurance Cost to Change or Endurance for first use (activation). If a power uses Endurance (including using STR bought in the VPP), that propably goes from the Stars Battery as well.

Power include Extra Defenses, Density Increase, extra STR, any Life Support, maybe increased Speed/DEX/CV's as well. I would keep the built simple and allow the player to choose powers at will.

Niko:

I am not certain what she can do without the star yet. With the Star I see at least the following powers:

Retrocognitive Clairsentience, No Range (must touch an object near). Could just be a "Find Way" Power or an extension of the Fidn Person Power.

A "find Person" power. Either a form of Midn Scan, or a Megascaled Detect (but needs some object with "psychic" link to what she sees).

A Barrier or Forcefield. Physical/Energy, but also Mental Defenses. Might cost endurance per phase or maybe use "Damage Based Enduracne Cost" from on of the the 6E APG's.

Walter:

Still not certain about the programms. They apparently an be trapped and do stuff while he is doing something else. But he also seems to only put 2 or 3 out at once. They seem to be bound to the stars power. Thier "storage" seems to be on a different Focus and they can only come out if holds it.

Other Star powers:

Machine Telempathy, or at least Mental Radio Transmissions*?

Puppeteering Telekinesis for Machienes*?

*need to look if he repeats those stunts, otherwise might just be Power Skills because he as burrier/had nothing else to do that episode.

Waldo:

Pretty certain it is just a Forcewall/Barrier that cost endurance. No Damage Shield. It might only cover his front and needs activation (putting the ring in the right position, the gem towards the danger). So normal Barrier/Forcewall could cover everything.

Cybersteeds/-mules:

The more I see them, the more I think they are just normal Characters with some Complciations (No manipulation), that simply "carry" thier riders the same way a human carriers a child. Propably high endurance and Rec and/or reduced endurance for STR and Movement.

The ship:

Seems to have a modular mission module and cockpit. Could see them both build as "Multipower, Change only at base".

Queen of Crown:

She seems to be able to fool Nikos Senses with Illusions.

She can fire energy Blasts, but that might be equipment.

Still think she can Mind Link and us Clairsentience with any Overseer. Maybe Stellar Range Mind Scan for Overseers, to get a "lock" for the Mind Link.