Magic System Examples

Portland Barbie

There seems to be a lot of discussion on here about various aspects of the mechanics behind the magic systems used. So, upon finishing up (I hope) the magic system for my own campaign, I thought I might start a new thread, one focusing on the magic system used in the home-brew settings out there.

The idea behind this thread is to post your own magic system, with the same amount of detail you would give to someone playing in your campaign, with the intent of letting others see the various ways magic can be done, and possibly finding an example or two on how to resolve an issue they are having themselves.

Note: Given the amount of detail needed for some magic systems, there is a large possibility this may contain some very long posts.

I'll start with the magic system I just finished up.

There is no distinction between "arcane" and "divine" magic. The gods are not active enough in the setting to grant magic to their followers. There is still healing magics, but they are simply spells that have been created by their casters.

Magic, although rare, can be learned by any one. Those who have done so are capable of absorbing the mystic energies inherent in their surroundings and shaping them into any effect they desire. However, their effectiveness is limited by their understanding of the methods involved. As they increase their knowledge they are capable of creating more powerful effects.

While there is no formal society of wizards, the tomes that a mage uses to teach himself magic, being written in an ancient, lost time, infer that at one time there was such a society, and many of the existing wizards today still use the degrees of power and skill system that is mentioned in these tomes.

It is important to note that there are no existing formulae for spells in these tomes. If those existed, they disappeared along with those who used them. Today, it is up to the individual mage to create his own formula to shape the energies into the effects he wants. However, even though there are no known formula, there are restrictions, requirements, and guidelines that must be followed.

In order to cast spells, a character must take the Arcane Knowledge Talent (10 pts). This talent gives the character Familiarity (8-) in the eight Circle of Arcana Skills (see below).

All spells require RAR (Skill depends on the arcana involved) (-1/2), Concentration (1/2 DC, -1/4), and must take at least one of the following: Focus, Gestures, or Incantations; spells built using Powers that do not require END to use must take Cost End at at least -1/2; spells with Powers that do not take a Full Phase to activate must take Extra Time (Full Phase, -1/2).

Spells cannot have an active cost above the corresponding Skill -8 times 5. Most spells cannot be purchased as a VPP or MP, and must be purchased individually, however, certain groups of similar-themed spells may be allowed as a VPP, with GM's permission (discuss with the GM before you begin to see if he will allow the VPP).

To pay the END cost, the caster must "pull" the END from the surrounding area. This is usually done by taking directly from the END Reserve in the area, but it can (and sometimes must) be pulled from the living creatures nearby as well. The amount of END a character can pull from the area in a single Phase is equal to how well he exceeded his Skill roll by (if he rolled a 10, and needed 13-, he gains 3 END). This can be augmented by draining the essence from living creatures, doing 1d6 STUN to all living creatures within 1m per 5 Active Points in the spell he's trying to power, including the caster, gaining 1d6 END per creature affected this way. (This means the caster is always the first creature targeted). Absorbing the energies to pay for the END cost requires a Full Phase action, and place the caster at 1/2 DCV.

[TABLE=width: 500]

[TR]

[TD]Location

[/TD]

[TD=align: center]END Reserve

[/TD]

[TD=align: center]REC[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Barren

[/TD]

[TD=align: center]0[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Desert, sandy

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Desert, rocky

[/TD]

[TD=align: center]5[/TD]

[TD=align: center]1[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Forest, Light[/TD]

[TD=align: center]15[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Forest, Medium[/TD]

[TD=align: center]20[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Forest, heavy[/TD]

[TD=align: center]30[/TD]

[TD=align: center]10[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Glacier[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Grassland[/TD]

[TD=align: center]20[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Jungle, heavy[/TD]

[TD=align: center]30[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Jungle, medium[/TD]

[TD=align: center]25[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Marsh/Swamp[/TD]

[TD=align: center]15[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Moor[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Scrub/Brushland[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Tundra[/TD]

[TD=align: center]1[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]City/Town[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Village[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Circles of Arcana

Almost every spell belongs to one of eight circles of arcana. A circle of arcana is a group of related spells that work in similar ways. A small number of spells are universal spells known by even the newest of apprentices, and do not belong to any specific circle.

Abjuration

Abjurations are protective spells. They create physical or magical barriers, negate magical or physical abilities, harm trespassers, or even banish the subject of the spell to another plane of existence.

Conjuration

Conjurations bring manifestations of objects, creatures, or some form of energy to you, transport creatures or objects over great distances, or create objects or effects on the spot. Creatures you conjure usually, but not always, obey your commands.

Divination

Divination spells enable you to learn secrets long forgotten, to predict the future, to find hidden things, and to foil deceptive spells.

Enchantment

Enchantment spells affect the minds of others, influencing or controlling their behavior.

Evocation

Evocation spells manipulate energy or tap an unseen source of power to produce a desired end. In effect, they create something out of nothing. Many of these spells produce spectacular effects, and evocation spells can deal large amounts of damage.

Illusion

Illusion spells deceive the senses or minds of others. They cause people to see things that are not there, not see things that are there, hear phantom noises, or remember things that never happened.

Necromancy

Necromancy is a school concerned with the manipulation of the forces of life and death. Necromancy spells include those that simulate the effects of undead creatures, more direct assaults on life energy, and even healing type spells.

Transmutation

Transmutation spells change the properties of some creature, thing, or condition.

The degrees of power rank system is based of the number of spells in a given arcana the caster knows and the total number of active points in those spells. Note that these levels are such that a PC spell caster may never obtain the highest levels, and is geared such since they are not dedicating their entire time to the study and understanding of magic.

[TABLE=width: 500]

[TR]

[TD]Circle

[/TD]

[TD]Total Active Points

[/TD]

[TD]Mastery

[/TD]

[TD]Number of Spells[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]8th Circle[/TD]

[TD=align: center]1-45[/TD]

[TD]Apprentice[/TD]

[TD=align: center]1-5[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]7th Circle[/TD]

[TD=align: center]45-90[/TD]

[TD]Initiate[/TD]

[TD=align: center]6-15[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]6th Circle[/TD]

[TD=align: center]91-180[/TD]

[TD]Adept[/TD]

[TD=align: center]16-30[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]5th Circle[/TD]

[TD=align: center]181-360[/TD]

[TD]Theurge[/TD]

[TD=align: center]30-45[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]4th Circle[/TD]

[TD=align: center]361-720[/TD]

[TD]Mystic[/TD]

[TD=align: center]46+[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]3rd Circle[/TD]

[TD=align: center]721-1440[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]2nd Circle[/TD]

[TD=align: center]1441-1880[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]1st Circle[/TD]

[TD=align: center]1881+[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Re: Magic System Examples

I am intrigued with the concept of drawing END from the land and/or living creatures, especially the mage himself. I would caution that keeping such close track of the environment may be a bother, or it would be to me if I were running it.

I would offer the following suggestion instead. Make all spell-casters take a Variable Limitation on their spells, where the only options are Increase END cost, Side Effect (STUN Drain or NND attack), or Limited Venue. In magic-laden settings (jungles) the Limited Venue covers the entire Limitation. For Deserts, the mage will have to rely entirely on Increase END and/or the Side Effect. This isn't quite as granular as what you have described, but that makes it easier to keep track of. Hmm, unless the limited END in a particular setting was intended to limit the Active points useable for any given spell, in which case never mind.

One question though, if magic is derived from the amount of living on the land, why are Grasslands better than Jungle, or a village a better place to cast magic than a crowded city? And why is Heavy Forest not good for any END at all?

I am intrigued with the concept of drawing END from the land and/or living creatures, especially the mage himself. I would caution that keeping such close track of the environment may be a bother, or it would be to me if I were running it.

I would offer the following suggestion instead. Make all spell-casters take a Variable Limitation on their spells, where the only options are Increase END cost, Side Effect (STUN Drain or NND attack), or Limited Venue. In magic-laden settings (jungles) the Limited Venue covers the entire Limitation. For Deserts, the mage will have to rely entirely on Increase END and/or the Side Effect. This isn't quite as granular as what you have described, but that makes it easier to keep track of. Hmm, unless the limited END in a particular setting was intended to limit the Active points useable for any given spell, in which case never mind.

One question though, if magic is derived from the amount of living on the land, why are Grasslands better than Jungle, or a village a better place to cast magic than a crowded city? And why is Heavy Forest not good for any END at all?

Typos, :), and yes, the limited END Reserve is geared towards limiting the number/power of spells being cast, although I may end up having to tweak the totals after a few sessions.

And the tracking of the terrain really isn't going to be an issue, since the types of terrain are the same ones used on my maps, and thus the value of the END Reserve and REC would be whatever the terrain type is for the current hex the the party is in (or the majority of the terrain on the hex).

Okay, a follow-up question then. How does the mage pay for the END? Are all spells bought to 0 END, but then limited by the terrain? Does each mage have to purchase an END Reserve with the limitation "Max values based on surrounding terrain"? Perhaps all spells have a limitation "Max Active points determined by terrain" or even that the land itself has a standing Aid to END Reserves that mages benefit from.

To put it more concisely, conceptually the mage is drawing energy from his surroundings, but how do you want to model that mechanically?

To pay the END cost' date=' the caster must "pull" the END from the surrounding area. This is usually done by taking directly from the END Reserve in the area, but it can (and sometimes must) be pulled from the living creatures nearby as well. The amount of END a character can pull from the area in a single Phase is equal to how well he exceeded his Skill roll by (if he rolled a 10, and needed 13-, he gains 3 END). This can be augmented by draining the essence from living creatures, doing 1d6 STUN to all living creatures within 1m per 5 Active Points in the spell he's trying to power, including the caster, gaining 1d6 END per creature affected this way. (This means the caster is always the first creature targeted). Absorbing the energies to pay for the END cost requires a Full Phase action, and place the caster at 1/2 DCV.[/quote']

I thought that I was clear enough in stating this . . . does it need revision above the additional sentence I added?

Your intent is clearly stated. I am just trying to go from point A (normal END accounting for Hero powers) to point B (what you just said). Normally END comes from the caster's personal END or a personal END Reserve. You can't share END Reserves without putting advantages on them and the powers that draw from them in the rules as written.

So my question really is do you have a set of Advantages and Limitations and power constructs to represent the way the magic works, or for the sake of simplicity are you handwaving it? I don't see a problem either way, I was just curious.

Handwaving it, pretty much, I thought about working out a linked Drain/Aid power to include with the Arcane Knowledge Talent, but tbh, it's easier this way, since it's an automatic thing, and not an attack, per se, so there's no attack roll involved. And requiring an attack roll would limit the caster a bit too much, imo, in areas that's mana deprived.