Bestiary, logarithmic math

Alcamtar

I have the 4th edition bestiary, and have been planning to get the 5th edition version. But they apparently have about the same number of critters, so I'm wondering if it's worth the money, or if I can get by with 4th

Also are the creature writeups "inflated" in terms of the logarithmic scale? Which is more accurate?

MIke

The 5th edition is IMHO is far superior to the 4th edition version. THe statistics of the monsters are far more accurate and many of them have lots of optional powers in their writeups to reflect different versions of the monster in different genres.

The 4th edition version was among my least favorite 4th editon books. the 5th edition has become one of the most commonly used in my current game.

The templates are nice, too. I don't recall if 4th Edition had them or not (I don't think so). Basically they are little add-ons that can differentiate one type of creature from another, like the Ferocious template, which increases the animal's PRE and STR, or the Divine template, which gives improved senses, immortality, improved defenses, and an aura that damages demons. The templates alone are worth an upgrade, assuming you aren't living hand-to-mouth right now....