How do you guys deal with WoTC drones?

proditor

Re: How do you guys deal with WoTC drones?

In my, extremely limited, experience, the actual weight of a sword is far less important than how well it is balanced. If the balance point is just above your hands it is easy to maneouvre. I doubt whether, in fact, a two handed sword would have required anything like 18 STR to lift and use effectively.

As to STR for purpose' builds (i.e. your 10 STR character with +8 STR for wielding weapons), I don;t see a problem. STR is a very broad brush anyway and it is perfectly possible to be able to arm curl a lot without having particularly strong legs, or to be able to do a lot of low weight reps without being able to do a few high weight ones - it depends how you train.

Weilding a sword or other weapon is a matter of hardening the muscles for the purpose - I imagine a heavyweight weight lifter would soon get tired achy muscles fighting with a sword if they were not used to it, because their muscles are not trained for that excercise.

Of course it all depends on the sytle too. I've tried fencing and, boy, is it hard on the muscles of the arm and even more so the leg, and that has nothing to do with the practically negligible weight of the weapon.

Being able to move the sword about is very much secondary to being able to move it quickly to where you want it. Technique for a lot of weapons is far, far more important than force.

Perhaps Hero should recognise that effective use of weaponry is not simply related to STR.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...and then' date=' of course, it is probably the case that anyone who does enough traiing to be good with a weapon has developed their available strength potential considerably.[/quote']

Of course, we then get the question of how skilled the simple weapon proficiency actually makes you, which would indicate how much development you've undertaken. Everyone is proficient with Club and Thrown Rock. How much training have we gneraly done with those? The same level/extent of training would make one proficient with, say, knives (street punk with switchblade). Similar with various other weapons.

I think the general idea behind 'everyone has WP: Club and Rock' is that these are two very common items that can be used as weapons. A club is nothing more than a length of wood, metal, or whatever (a table leg, tall lamp, branch, crowbar, etc.) that can be grabbed at one end and swung. Likewise, a rock is nothing more than a hard, heavy object that one can hold and use to strike with as a fist-load - albiet sometimes a pretty big one. So a cobblestone, brick, or even computer monitor (the CRT variety, not a LCD/Plasma one) can be used as a 'rock'. :D

A knife, on the other hand, requires a bit of practice and training to use effectively. Sure, the 'icepick' method show in Psycho works against someone who has no combat experience. Try it against a skilled fighter and you're going to get your head handed back to you. :rolleyes:

We're derailing a bit anyway. The point I was trying to make is that when people look at a built in D&D, all they tend to think about is whether it is system legal. That trumps concept almost completely. In Hero, on the other hand, because you CAN build anything, and so much more is technically "system legal", we tend to be a lot more critical of the concept. I wouldn't say it is dramatically more difficult or expensive to build that kind of thing in Hero, but it is more obvious what you are doing and easier to criticize in a sense.

Perhaps Hero should recognise that effective use of weaponry is not simply related to STR.

In my first Boffer group, we would 'feed' newbies to Lady Diana on their first day, to teach them that size does not equal skill level. They'd swagger on up and she'd take 'em apart, with whatever weapon she happened to have at the time.

(Lady Diana was all of 5'2" and 95 lbs soaking wet. And pretty hawt to boot...:D)

We're derailing a bit anyway. The point I was trying to make is that when people look at a built in D&D' date=' all they tend to think about is whether it is system legal. That trumps concept almost completely. In Hero, on the other hand, because you CAN build anything, and so much more is technically "system legal", we tend to be a lot more critical of the concept. I wouldn't say it is dramatically more difficult or expensive to build that kind of thing in Hero, but it is more obvious what you are doing and easier to criticize in a sense.[/quote']

All valid points - especially about the derail. Sorry!:o

In my first Boffer group' date=' we would 'feed' newbies to Lady Diana on their first day, to teach them that size [i']does not equal[/i] skill level. They'd swagger on up and she'd take 'em apart, with whatever weapon she happened to have at the time.

(Lady Diana was all of 5'2" and 95 lbs soaking wet. And pretty hawt to boot...:D)

...and Joss Whedon just happened to be walking past the window...

(what can I say: train wrecks hold a fascination :))