Resource Pools in Star Hero

Erkenfresh

Re: Resource Pools in Star Hero

Sorry, but this sounds more like you haven't thought your world through in the beginning.

If you define the world in a proper way (PD/ED/Body limits for items and people), you can built a 100% deadly nuclear bomb with as little as a 20-25 DC Blast, Area of Effect (Explosion), Megaarea. And it is one that Superman/Brick of choice could survive point blank.

This is seriously self-contradictory: if a "brick of choice could survive it point blank" then it's not 100% deadly.

And I'm not sure what point you're trying to make here.

In any event, the setting I published (and that I've been referring to here) isn't a superhero setting, so your example is completely irrelevant, as is your "haven't thought your world through" comment. No, as a matter of fact, I didn't consider whether Superman could survive a nuclear strike in my Hard Science Fiction non-superhero campaign. My intention was to design a certain level of realism into the setting, and arbitrary limits on equipment/weapon designs would only get in the way of that goal; so yes I did "think this through" and discarded the idea of such limits at the outset as inappropriate for the project.

As for your nuke build: it's underpowered by Terracide standards, and lacking a proper ship-killer warhead of the nuclear-pumped X-ray laser variety. (APx2, Penetrating, Mega-ranged)

As for your nuke build: it's underpowered by Terracide standards' date=' and lacking a proper ship-killer warhead of the nuclear-pumped X-ray laser variety. (APx2, Penetrating, Mega-ranged)[/quote']

Read my later post and you will see:

If the top technology tier is 5, then:

2d6 KA, Tier 2 could easily fail against 2 R PD, Tier 5

And 2d6 KA, Tier 5 will propably ignore any amor below Tier 4

Add in that best man protable armor will not have a Tier as high as the best man-portable weapon (When anti-tank rocketlaunchers fail agaisnt powerarmor, start building the tanks out of what you made the power armor! Or built better anti-tank weapons).

When you decide the only way to built Traveler TL 15 armor is with 40 PD/ED, 3 Levels of hardened and two Impenetrable then you created the problem that TL 15 Weapons (or equipment) fit into no AP Limit.

Read my later post and you will see:

If the top technology tier is 5, then:

2d6 KA, Tier 2 could easily fail against 2 R PD, Tier 5

And 2d6 KA, Tier 5 will propably ignore any amor below Tier 4

Add in that best man protable armor will not have a Tier as high as the best man-portable weapon (When anti-tank rocketlaunchers fail agaisnt powerarmor, start building the tanks out of what you made the power armor! Or built better anti-tank weapons).

When you decide the only way to built Traveler TL 15 armor is with 40 PD/ED, 3 Levels of hardened and two Impenetrable then you created the problem that TL 15 Weapons (or equipment) fit into no AP Limit.

I don't use your system of "tiers" so this isn't an issue for me. I have no idea if Traveller Hero uses that system either. So I really don't see any point in continuing to argue about this. The system I came up with works just fine within the setting for which I designed it; maybe you should have a look at it before making blanket assertions about whether I've "thought things through" just because I didn't conform my campaign to the standards of your tech level system and/or AP limits, which I have never seen, don't use, and have no interest in.

I tried the tier'ed tech level thing when we were putting our SH campaign, because it was a popular idea in RPG's at the time (Palladium had recently introduced the SDC MDC thing, and Mekton worked with a similar system) and I decided I HATED the way it interacted in HERO. Throws all the real world benchmarks out the window, and doesn't convey the physical realities of higher joule attacks. Aformentioned needle beam? Instant thermal burnthrough on something made mostly of water equals a fairly epic quantity of water being instantly transformed into vapour. Not something I'd enjoy having hit me.

But I'm also a Hard Science geek, and a lot of this comes down to campaign intent. Xavier and I are looking at this from a realistic standpoint, using established benchmarks to arrange the power levels we want. You're building the attacks first then rebenchmarking the rest of the universe to match your weapon performance. I tend to find that fit's better with less realistic genres like Supers