Let's do some DAMage

IndianaJoe3

I started off by thinking how strength didn't really worth the way that STR does, in that lift capacity isn't directly tied to the ability to do damage. There's other factors involved. A common workaround it to split STR into two characteristics - lift capacity (still called STR), and damage (DAM). I'll somewhat arbitrarily assume that STR costs 1/2 pt and DAM costs 4 points per DC.

I then realized that splitting DAM out required changing Blast, Killing Attacks, and Hand-to-Hand Attack. HTH Attacks because straight-up DAM. Blast is DAM, Ranged. HKA now gets its bonus damage from DAM instead of STR.

Breaking DAM out rids us of the problem that only STR can add dice to a power. Now wizards, thieves, and other archetypes get the same benefits that their musclebound companions do.

I'm sure we can expand on this premise with some work. Maybe DAM can be broken down into Physical, Mental, and Energy types, or others based on setting specifics (arcane, divine, elemental, etc). Adjustment, Mental, or other Attack Powers might be boosted by DAM. This might make DAM too efficient, so that needs work (although I do like the concept).

Re: Let's do some DAMage

Oh no never, the world will end, you will destroy the whole game and no one will ever play it again!

Or you could leave the damage element at points per DC and create a seperate lift ability called Lift

Lift could be point per +41% or 2 points per doubling on strength. Then you could get rid of TK with special rules and just have TK as ranged Strength which is what it really is after all

I started off by thinking how strength didn't really worth the way that STR does, in that lift capacity isn't directly tied to the ability to do damage

Or you can just buy Limited Strength (Only to Lift things, -2) and call it a day. Strength is strength. Someone who can bench press 400 lbs hits harder than someone who can only benchpress 200. You can focus on a specific aspect of Strength if you wish (using limitations). We also have a way to add damage to hand to hand without allowing you to lift more, HA.

Also, Strength does a LOT of different things. Damage and lifting are just two of them. It also is used in grabbing, escaping, disarming, and throwing, possibly more that I am forgetting.

I then realized that splitting DAM out required changing Blast, Killing Attacks, and Hand-to-Hand Attack. HTH Attacks because straight-up DAM. Blast is DAM, Ranged. HKA now gets its bonus damage from DAM instead of STR.

DAM as you are considering it would be really odd. According to your notes DAM should increase the damage on pretty much anything. If we are splitting it up, how is DAM any different than buying more dice of a power? (other than being cheaper). If not, it would seem odd that the same source (DAM) can allow me to punch harder and fire stronger lightning bolts.

Breaking DAM out rids us of the problem that only STR can add dice to a power. Now wizards, thieves, and other archetypes get the same benefits that their musclebound companions do.

Actually, anyone can add dice to a power, by buying more of that power. The only difference is that STR adds to both HA and HKA (although technically HA adds dice to STR, HKA is a little weird tho). This is one of the benefits of STR, for 5 points it can add damage to HA or HKA (and lift, etc). For the same 5 points you get 1 DC of Ranged Attacks (Blast or KA). This seems to me like its rather balanced. Wizards, thieves, etc already get the same value as their "musclebound companions" because they get to use their ability at range, and in a game where movement is cheap and there are limited options for getting INTO melee range if your opponent doesn't want to I would generally say that your wizards, etc. are actually coming out ahead.

I'm sure we can expand on this premise with some work. Maybe DAM can be broken down into Physical, Mental, and Energy types, or others based on setting specifics (arcane, divine, elemental, etc). Adjustment, Mental, or other Attack Powers might be boosted by DAM. This might make DAM too efficient, so that needs work (although I do like the concept)

Again, at this point how would DAM really be any different than buying more dice of the power? Unless you are just wanting a way to get DC's at 4pts vs the normal 5.

STR is still underpriced compared to other attacks. Want to split it? 5 points for 1DC fast/momentum damage (which you can add to HtH and HKAs) i.e. hitting stuff. Then buy STR at 1 point per point for the ability to generally apply force, lift and move heavy stuff, and grab/squeeze or escape from a grab would come under this.

That would solve halve the problems Hero has with damage adding and attack power costs at a stroke.

For Throwing use the lower of damage and lift. It involves both the ability to apply force and the ability to move quickly.

Never going to happen, but it would work.

As to STR being STR...well...someone who can bench 200lbs may well be able to punch harder than someone who can bench 400lbs, if the first is a lightweight professional boxer and the second is a professional weightlifter.

A crane can LIFT a lot but would not cause a lot of damage directly (it could drop stuff on you, but that is indirect). Splitting damage and lift makes an enormous amount of sense.