Stage Magic as Powers

bigdamnhero

Has anyone ever tried building stage magic (ie - the kind of fake magic tricks that entertainers use in the real world) as Powers? I have a character that wants to play a Pulp-era stage magician who uses his stage tricks to dazzle & trick people. In-character, he pretends to have actual magic powers, but in reality it's all done with smoke & mirrors, etc. Old Timers might remember a 70s TV show called The Magician where Bill Bixby used magic tricks to solve crimes & such? That's the idea. Yeah, I know we could just give him PS: Magician & Sleight of Hand and call it good. But I don't think that fits the player's character concept; to make them as useful as he sees them, they really need to be built as Powers. I thought I'd check if anyone else had already gone there, or was interested in giving it a try? Thanks,

Re: Stage Magic as Powers

Here's one I came up with and posted over a year ago:

8 Going out with a bang: (Total: 40 Active Cost, 8 Real Cost) Sight Group Flash 1 ½d6 (standard effect: 2 Segments), Area Of Effect (16m Radius Explosion; +¼), Trigger (Activating the Trigger requires a Zero Phase Action, Trigger requires a Turn or more to reset; +¼) (12 Active Points); 2 Charges which Recover every 1 Week (-2), No Range (-½), Limited Power Not against someone who has their eyes closed or turned away that phase (-½), Conditional Power Power does not work if wet (raining, Pipkin's been in water, etc) (-½), IIF (-¼) (Real Cost: 2) plus Darkness to Sight Group 2m radius, Trigger (Activating the Trigger requires a Zero Phase Action, Trigger requires a Turn or more to reset; +¼) (12 Active Points); 2 Charges which Recover every 1 Week (-2), Linked (Flash! Bang!; Lesser Power can only be used when character uses greater Power at full value; -¾), Conditional Power Power does not work if wet (raining, Pipkin's been in water, etc) (-½), Instant (-½), No Range (-½), IIF (-¼) (Real Cost: 2) plus Trigger (Activating the Trigger requires a Zero Phase Action, Trigger requires a Turn or more to reset; +¼), Invisible Power Effects (Fully Invisible; +1) for up to 5 Active Points of Leaping (6 Active Points); 2 Charges which Recover every 1 Week (-2), Linked (Flash! Bang!; Lesser Power can only be used when character uses greater Power at full value; -¾), Costs Endurance (-½) (Real Cost: 1) plus +5 with Stealth (10 Active Points); 2 Continuing Charges lasting 1 Turn each which Recover every 1 Week (-1 ½), Linked (Flash! Bang!; -½), IIF (-¼) (Real Cost: 3) 1

It was to help a new guy, so I also wrote an explanation:

So, how does it work when you use it?

First, you announce out of character that you're using the Power - “I'm going out with a bang!” or “I'm making my Great Escape!” or whatever you decide to call it. This doesn't have to be on your “turn.” You may have to make a DEX roll if timing is important, say if someone has announced they are attacking you and you want to try this before they hit.

Everyone within 16 meters is blind for a segment; everyone in 8 meters is blind for 2 segments. Note that some people have Flash Defense and won't be effected, and others may use different senses. So don't try this against Daredevil and expect it to work as well.

A cloud of smoke appears where you are. It will last until the end of your phase if you did this during your phase, or the end of your next phase otherwise. So, from 4 to 8 seconds.

You immediately move up to 5 meters without anyone noticing. (Even Daredevil was probably confused by the POP of the flash powder igniting.) If you could have had a running start, were already moving, etc. make that up to 10 meters. It could also be up to 5 meters straight up, if there's anything up there to catch with an Acrobatics roll or a roof to leap onto. They usually don't expect that.

If it was your phase and you had not taken an action yet, you may immediately start Running at your Full Movement. Long gone by the time the smoke clears!

You get a +5 to Stealth Rolls for the next 12 segments – probably 4 of your phases, if I remember the character's SPD right. That's useful if you plan to take that Full Move since that's a penalty to your Stealth Roll!

Lucius Alexander

Watch me pull a palindromedary out of a hat

You can always just allow any power out there with a special effect of "Stage Magic". It would be up to the GM what exactly stage magic would be allowed of course. But generally as long as the character is paying points for it and can come up with SOME explanation it should generally be allowed. Of course it does lead to a number of Limitations as being especially appropriate. Focus, requires a roll (Dex, Sleight of Hand, or PS: Stage Magician), Extra Time (to set up props), etc. Many stage magic tricks also heavily rely on distracting the audience (so they can't see how its done).

Of course it depends on exactly what he wants to do. "Stage Magicians" don't normally fire energy blasts, punch people, etc. They also frequently require props that you can't really take with you (trap doors in the floor, patsies in the audience who "pretend" they don't know the magician, etc.) which would greatly limit his abilities outside of a theater.

And the final consideration is the style of campaign. "Stage Magic" isn't really going to work for a superhero style campaign unless the character actually DOES have magic or high tech that looks like magic. But in a more "normals" style campaign (Dark Champions, Pulp, etc) use of powers may be highly restricted or even disallowed altogether. Just because he wants to be using "smoke and mirrors" as an sfx doesn't give him an excuse to access powers that other concepts can't in these styles of campaigns (unless the GM AND the other players are aware he is doing so and agree to it.)

I built a character who was a stage magician, I wrote it up as;

IMAGES:Sight and Normal Hearing, Area Effect, +/- 3 PER rolls, Alterable Size, Extra Time [1 Minute, Only to activate]

You might also consider: Super- Skill: Ultimate Illusionist;

Mental Illusions, Area Effect, Only to simulate Stage Magic Tricks, Must have reasonable explanation as to how the trick works, Extra Time, RSR: Master Illusionist, Does not work on those who practice/study stage magic, Does not provide Mental Awareness.