3 Shadowing 13-

20 SL: Overall +2

3 Stealth 13-

3 Streetwise 13-

Total Skills Cost: 125 Points

Cost Powers

8 ES: RPT, IIF: Concealed Radio (-1/4)

2 Running +1"

15 Running +5", 8xNCM, No END (+1/2), Only On Appropriate Terrain (-1/2), OIF: Motorcycle (-1/2)

Total Powers Cost: 25 Points

Total Cost: 250 Points

150+ Disadvantages

5 DNPC: Silk Spectre I (Slightly Less Poweful [75+ Disadvantages]) 8-

10 Hunted: Dr. Manhattan (More Powerful/NCI/Watch) 8-

10 Hunted: Enemies of The Watchmen (As Powerful) 8-

10 Hunted: U.S. Government (More Powerful/NCI/Watch) 8-

20 Normal Characteristics Maxima

15 PsyL: Feels Obligated To Fight Crime (Common/Strong)

20 PsyL: Protective of Innocents (Very Common/Strong)

10 SocL: Secret Identity (Occasionally/Major)

Total Disadvantages Cost: 250 Points

This thread will be for building characters from The Watchmen on Hero Games System Rules.

Why? No offense, but you're the last person I would have imagined doing this.

On Topic: With your Silk Spectre build, I notice you're hewing closely to the NCM. I'd give each of the Watchmen several stats in the "legendary" range. They're more than just Real-Life Superheroes. They're more like "realistic" superheroes.* They've fought street gangs, brought down drug lords, and survived riots. Any one of them would seem pretty impressive compared to RLSHs.

*Keep in mind that I think that "realistic superhero" is an oxymoron and has no place in any serious discussion of the genre.

Guest dan2448
This thread will be for building characters from The Watchmen on Hero Games System Rules.

Excellent idea: I'd love to see these characters given Hero System stats. I loved the comic book as a kid, over 25 years ago now. And I still have a copy of the "Watchmen" module for the DC Heroes RPG published over 25 years ago, too. I also liked the film adaptation, and really liked several of the "Before Watchmen" comic books published by DC over the last 12 months,

One problem will be that they should be built on radically different point totals. Silk Spectre is probably the lowest powered of the "modern" characters.

Some of the earlier ones, including her mother, could be considered as being less well trained and equipped than her.

Why?

Why do you think that this is a "morally blank thread," Andrew?

That was me being cute.* :) I`m a HUGE Alan Moore fan. Unfortunately, some people on here aren`t.

*BTW if you don`t get the reference, reread Watchmen chapter 6.

EDIT: I probably shouldn`t be so cryptic. It`s based on Rorschach`s line to Dr. Long. ``Was reborn then. Free to scrawl own design on this morally blank world.`` Like I said, I was being cute.

How about this:

"Looked at forum through browser heavy with human viruses and [the] Mod was not there. The cold, suffocating posts go on forever and we are alone...Was reborn then, free to scrawl own design on this morally blank thread. Was Andrew_A.

Does that answer your question dan2448?"

Obviously, I have no life. ;)

The characters were interesting, but too dark. That's why the public in that timeline didn't embrace them.

For example if Dr. Manhattan simply turned the air to sleep gas instead of blowing Gangsters up he might have had a better reputation.

Rorschach

Val Char Cost

20 STR 10

18 DEX 24

20 CON 20

12 BODY 4

18 INT 8

11 EGO 2

20 PRE 10

18 COM 4

8 PD 4

6 ED 2

4 SPD 12

8 REC 0

40 END 0

32 STUN 0

Total Characteristics Cost: 100 Points

Cost Skills

3 Acrobatics 13-

3 AK[iNT]: New York City 13-

3 Breakfall 13-

18 Combat Luck +9 rPD +9 rED

3 Concealment 13-

3 Criminology 13-

3 Interrogation 13-

3 Lockpicking 13-

4 Martial Block

4 Martial Dodge

4 Martial Strike

3 Martial Throw

5 Offensive Strike

2 Rep: Vigilante 11-

3 Security Systems 13-

10 SL: Overall +1

3 Stealth 13-

3 Steetwise 13-

Total Skills Cost: 80 Points

Cost Powers

3 Images AE 1",No Range (-1/2), Only To Create Light (-1/2), OAF: Flashlight (-1)

15 Multipower (30 Points) OAF: Line Gun (-1)

1 u) RKA 2d6, [16c] (-1)

1 u) Swinging 15" 4x NCM, No END (+1/2)

2 Running +1"

48 VPP 30 Points, Half Phase (+1/2), No Skill Roll (+1), OAF (-1)

Total Powers Cost: 70 Points

150+ Disadvantages

15 Hunted: New York Police Department (More Powerful/LGA/NCI) 8-

10 Hunted: Rorschach Enemies (As Powerful) 8-

25 PsyL: Obsessed With Crimefighting (Very Common/Total)

20 PsyL: Superpatriot (Common/Total)

10 SocL: Secret Identity [Walter Joseph Kovacs] (Occasionally/Major)

Rorschach

Val Char Cost

20 STR 10

18 DEX 24

20 CON 20

12 BODY 4

18 INT 8

11 EGO 2

20 PRE 10

18 COM 4

8 PD 4

6 ED 2

4 SPD 12

8 REC 0

40 END 0

32 STUN 0

Total Characteristics Cost: 100 Points

Cost Skills

3 Acrobatics 13-

3 AK[iNT]: New York City 13-

3 Breakfall 13-

18 Combat Luck +9 rPD +9 rED

3 Concealment 13-

3 Criminology 13-

3 Interrogation 13-

3 Lockpicking 13-

4 Martial Block

4 Martial Dodge

4 Martial Strike

3 Martial Throw

5 Offensive Strike

2 Rep: Vigilante 11-

3 Security Systems 13-

10 SL: Overall +1

3 Stealth 13-

3 Steetwise 13-

Total Skills Cost: 80 Points

Cost Powers

3 Images AE 1",No Range (-1/2), Only To Create Light (-1/2), OAF: Flashlight (-1)

15 Multipower (30 Points) OAF: Line Gun (-1)

1 u) RKA 2d6, [16c] (-1)

1 u) Swinging 15" 4x NCM, No END (+1/2)

2 Running +1"

48 VPP 30 Points, Half Phase (+1/2), No Skill Roll (+1), OAF (-1)

Total Powers Cost: 70 Points

150+ Disadvantages

15 Hunted: New York Police Department (More Powerful/LGA/NCI) 8-

10 Hunted: Rorschach Enemies (As Powerful) 8-

25 PsyL: Obsessed With Crimefighting (Very Common/Total)

20 PsyL: Superpatriot (Common/Total)

10 SocL: Secret Identity [Walter Joseph Kovacs] (Occasionally/Major)

Guest dan2448
Rorschach's VPP is his ability to build improvised weapons and other tools quickly.

He is the ultimate "Obsessed Crimefighter." He has nothing else in his life other then crimefighting.

Great stuff! This excellent write-up gave me a chance to think about the character again for the first time in a long time. I had a few thoughts:

1. Quantifying Rorschach's PRE poses a unique challenge, I think. On the one hand, his "forcefulness" and "bravery" are high; but at the same time his "charisma" and "leadership" qualities are low, in my estimation. I might've been inclined to give him a PRE score below 10.

2. I might've given him a lower COM score, too (again, below 10), on the grounds that his "beauty or handsomeness" is significantly below the norm. (6e seems to've dropped this characteristic entirely, making this a moot point in that rules set, I guess.)

3. I might've burdened him with a few more Disadvantages/Complications, including Distinctive Feature (short), Enraged-Berzerk (when confronted with violence against children), (Negative) Reputation (as a crazy, homicidal maniac), and Social Complication/Social Limitation (poor socialization skills, fixation on moral decay, prone to conspiracy theories).

4. Didn't he also have some sort of grappling hook/gun?

Guest dan2448

Why?

Why do you think that this is a "morally blank thread," Andrew?

That was me being cute.* :) I`m a HUGE Alan Moore fan. Unfortunately, some people on here aren`t.

*BTW if you don`t get the reference, reread Watchmen chapter 6.

EDIT: I probably shouldn`t be so cryptic. It`s based on Rorschach`s line to Dr. Long. ``Was reborn then. Free to scrawl own design on this morally blank world.`` Like I said, I was being cute.

Ah, right: thanks very much for the explanation, Andrew! I must admit that I did not catch that reference myself. I guess it's been a long time since I re-read "Watchmen."

Guest dan2448
The line gun is the grappling hook gun.

His characteristics are my standard martial artist template (as is Silk Spectre II).

Ah, right, that all makes sense, and also explains why Rorschach's STR score was a little higher than I might've expected as well. (Could he lift a motorcycle? Maybe. But I always envisioned him as small, wiry, agile, ruthless, and resourceful (as reflected very well in your excellent write up); but not necessarily all that strong - especially by super hero standards.)

Reducing some of those characteristic scores and adding a few more complications/disadvantages might allow Rorschach to be built with considerably fewer points, which might reflect elegantly his 'troubled' childhood and background, and diminutive stature.

The stats are great, Cassandra. If you have time, please post more.

The line gun is the grappling hook gun.

His characteristics are my standard martial artist template (as is Silk Spectre II).

Ah, right, that all makes sense, and also explains why Rorschach's STR score was a little higher than I might've expected as well. (Could he lift a motorcycle? Maybe. But I always envisioned him as small, wiry, agile, ruthless, and resourceful (as reflected very well in your excellent write up); but not necessarily all that strong - especially by super hero standards.)

Reducing some of those characteristic scores and adding a few more complications/disadvantages might allow Rorschach to be built with considerably fewer points, which might reflect elegantly his 'troubled' childhood and background, and diminutive stature.

The stats are great, Cassandra. If you have time, please post more.

The system isn't really grainy enough to properly cover strength at the bottom end.

20 for Rorschach, and 15 for Silk Spectre works well enough, although it might cause problems for characters like the Comedian. I would have no problem giving Ozymandias 25, since he's the closest to truly superhuman of the characters that aren't Dr Manhattan.

An alternative would be to give Silk Spectre 10 and Rorschach 15, with both receiving an extra DC on their martial arts as compensation. That would allow you to give the Comedian and Ozymandias 20. (Hooded Justice, too).

In any case, the characters have distinctly cinematic abilities, despite their supposed "realism", and can be built accordingly.

I don't think we should worry too much about "realism" in the Watchmen universe. Alan Moore closed that door with Dr. Manhattan. He had an opportunity to present a story in a reality with costumed crimefighters but instead decided to tell an allegory about the Left Wing's two greatest boogymen, Richard Nixon and Nuclear War.

Just as a Comparison, and in honor of Superman Unbound

Supergirl

Val Char Cost

50 STR 40

18 DEX 24

25 CON 30

10 BODY 0

13 INT 3

11 EGO 2

20 PRE 10

18 COM 4

20 PD 10

20 ED 15

4 SPD 12

15 REC 0

50 END 0

48 STUN 0

Total Characteristics Cost: 150 Points

Cost Skill

3 Acting 13-

2 Contact: Batgirl 11-

3 Navigation [Air] 12-

2 Rep: The Maid of Steel 11-

Total Skills Cost: 10 Points

Cost Powers

15 Damage Resistance 20 rPD 10 rED

15 EC [Yellow Sun Energy]-15 Points

15 1) EB 6d6, Variable Special Effects [Heat/Cold] (+1/4), 2x END (-1/2)

12 2) Flight 10", Variable Advantages (+1/2), [Megascale 1km, 1/2 END, or Use Underwater Only (-1/4)]

16 ES: N-Ray Sight [Not Through Lead], PER +2

7 ES: RPT, IAF: JLA Communicator (-1/2)

10 LS: Extended Breathing [1 END/Turn], High Pressure, High Radiation, Intense Cold, Intense Heat, Low Pressure/Vacuum

Total Powers Cost: 90 Points

150+ Disadvantages

10 DNPC: Lena Thorul, Telepathic FBI Special Agent Best Friend (Unaware Slightly Less Powerful [100+ Disadvantages]) 8-

10 Hunted: Brainiac (As Powerful) 8-

20 PsyL: Code Of The Hero (Very Common/Strong)

20 PsyL: Code Versus Killing (Common/Total)

10 PsyL: Must Live Up To Family Reputation For Achievement (Uncommon/Strong)

10 SocL: Secret Identity [Kara Zor-El/Linda Danvers] (Occasionally/Major)

5 Vuln: Green Kryptonite Radiation, 1 1/2x STUN (Uncommon)

10 Vuln: Magic, 1 1/2x STUN (Common)

5 Vuln: Red Solar Radiation, 1 1/2x STUN (Uncommon)

In a fight between Rorschach and Supergirl the Maid of Steel has the edge. Supergirl might feel Rorschach's offensive strike, but has a better then even chance of avoiding it with just her standard DCV. Supergirl's STR can knock Rorschach out with three attacks, and has a good chance of stunning him with any one of them. Rorschach would also have a hard time hiding from Supergirl's PER and N-Ray Sight. Of course with his VPP he might manage to come up with either a Magic or Green Kryptonite based attack to even the odds.

Silk Spectre 2's has a DEX edge on Supergirl, but the latter could just pick up a car and use it as an improvised Area Effects Attack.

Guest dan2448
I don't think we should worry too much about "realism" in the Watchmen universe. Alan Moore closed that door with Dr. Manhattan.

By way of agreement, I suppose I've always conceptualized the individual Watchmen in four tiers, with Rorshach, the closest to a 'normal human,' at the bottom. The next tier up would be those who, Batman-like, have one or more abilities at an Olympian/Peak Human level, including Silk Spectre 2, Nite Owl and the Comedian. In the third tier would be Ozymandias, because his speed and intelligence seem to be at superhuman levels. And in the top tier, of course, would be the god-like Dr. Manhattan.

This would be consistent, I think, with a post by 'assault' above suggesting that the various Watchmen would be built with very different point totals.