Informations about Mandaarians.

Opale

Hi folks !

I rummaged all the HERO Champions stuff I could put my hands on, and during the Star HERO era, the Mandaarians just picked up their stuff to vanish somewhere else.

And then they came back during the Galactic Champions era.

is there a book describing why they did so ? Where they went ? Why they returned ? and so on ?

or is that another subplot that was never solved ?

Thanks in advance.

Alienish Opale.

5th ed Galactic Champions has the story on page 28. They left to fight some fungoid psionic hive-mind aliens that reproduce like mad strip planets bare like interstellar locusts. These aliens had already ravaged other galaxies and the Milky Way was next on their route. The fight did not go well for the Mandaarians. Dean Shomshak

Well, that's their story, anyway. I imagine that it's even the truth --just not the whole truth. Just like their story that they were just poking around Earth in the late XXth Century because of disinterested scientific curiosity.

Which is bizarre, because we haven't heard from them in a decade. Yet this solar system, but not Earth, is the home of the Old Martians, the first starfaring civilisation in this galaxy (at least).

Well, that's their story, anyway. I imagine that it's even the truth --just not the whole truth. Just like their story that they were just poking around Earth in the late XXth Century because of disinterested scientific curiosity.

Which is bizarre, because we haven't heard from them in a decade. Yet this solar system, but not Earth, is the home of the Old Martians, the first starfaring civilisation in this galaxy (at least).

According to Champions Beyond p. 256, the Mandaarians haven't publicly been back to Earth since 1999 simply because they've been busy with other projects. They do plan to return sometime over the next decade, though.

However, CB p. 257 notes that Mandaarian xenologists have continued to observe Mankind covertly since their last public sojourn. There's no malice behind it, though -- they just don't want to influence the results of their observations by advertising their presence. But one such visit led to a super origin.

As for the Martians, I'm not sure the Mandaarians know about them yet. They predate even Mandaarian civilization by over a billion years.

The Mandaarians are one of the clearest examples I've seen of "space elves," in the sense of Tolkienesque elves translated to a sci-fi setting. Physical appearance, near-immortality, ancient mature benevolent non-interventionist culture, psionic powers and advanced tech standing in for magic.

This is why I like to think of Sovereign as the leader of the Space Dark Elves. And there's a lot of interesting ways that could go.
Sovereign and many others of the Galactic Champions crew have been in my present-day (modified) CU campaign. They're too intriguing to me not to use, and most can be re-jiggered to make current.