Magesight

LordGhee

Dear Sirs,

This is a Fifth Edition question.  I have a Mage who cast a spell invisibility.  Can you make a perception roll against him with magesight.  Is he just a glowing ball of magic to someone with magesight?  Sounds stupid but we had a discussion and one stated he would rule that yes with magesight would spot the spell as the power is defined as magic.  Help with this please.

Lord Ghee

I think LG is referring to the Magesight Talent on Fantasy Hero 5th Ed. p. 106. The build (for the 17 point version) is Detect Magic [no sense group], with Discriminatory, Range, and Sense. By that I'd say it's about as useful for targeting as Normal Hearing, since neither has Targeting ...

And judging by LordGhee's last post, he sorely needs a nap.

Well, if he is invisible to sight then he is invisible to Magesight that is based on sight. You should build your Magesight with the advantages of sight (targetting, sense, etc.) but without the limitations. With that type of magical perception, you could see spells even when physically blinded.

Not necessarily.

If the Magesight is based on the sight group of perception and the invisibility spell covers the entire sight group, then yes, the person rendered invisible to the spell would be invisble to those with "Magesight".

However, unless the the Invisibility spell/power were itself purchased with Invisible Power Effects the fact that there is an active spell in the area would be visible to the Magesight (which by definition would allow any character who possesses it to "see" magical sources, objects and actives spells) so at the very least I would treat the spell as if it had the "Fringe" effect to those with Magesight.

Also, if the Magesight were bought under the purview of a different sensory group (perhaps considered the Special sense group...unique on its own) then the Invisibility to sight would not work on it at all. (the person would be invisible to the characters vision, but their "magesight" would pick up a humanoid glowing outline of magical energy walking around)

I think LG is referring to the Magesight Talent on Fantasy Hero 5th Ed. p. 106. The build (for the 17 point version) is Detect Magic [no sense group], with Discriminatory, Range, and Sense. By that I'd say it's about as useful for targeting as Normal Hearing, since neither has Targeting ...

And judging by LordGhee's last post, he sorely needs a nap.

This looks like the most accurate assessment of the circumstances inquired about.