News: Harvard Scientists Identify Microbe that “Eats” Electricity

clsage

I have yet to fully digest this article, and have not accessed the source paper. Those disclaimers aside, I saw this and could not help but think of how the Xenomorphs biology was described in an Aliens gaming supplement I once read (probably incomplete, based solely on my memory version of the concept: as a 'handwave' to explain the whole acid for blood thing they used the idea of having the species metabolize electrical energy - ie: acid and tissues forming some sort of battery, etc). Because of that tie-in I decided to share this here, though there are obviously other uses in other genres (Monster Hunter International and Champions both spring immediately to mind)

http://scitechdaily.com/harvard-scientists-identify-microbe-eats-electricity/

-Carl-

Hmm, interesting. If I've understood the article correctly, they've found bacteria that run in both directions, as it were. I see two possible applications for this: the first is a biological fuel cell; put in sugar water and oxygen, get electricity. The second is the reverse; put in carbon dioxide and electricity, get oxygen (and sugar).

Oh, and some kind of biological rust removal system?

It might be my mother.  Amazaing, everytime when listening to the radio, if she gets near it.  It goes all static-like.  (actually, I have that to a lesser extent).  When I was in high school I used to cut on the radio when I woke up, so I can gradually wake up.  Even when she was quiet, I could always tell she was at a certain spot in the hall. 

*badger listening to Beastie Boys* (as an example)

Beastie Boys:  you gotta fight....for your right...*brrrrrrrrr* -party