Silly question re: darkness, flash, etc. :)

Tedology

Hello all,

I'm embarrassed to ask this, but I could not find it in the 6th edition of Champions.

In a darkness field, flash attack, or against an invisible foe, what are the penalties (if any) to OCV and DCV?

I checked the book thoroughly (maybe not enough?) and could not find how not being able to perceive the attacker/defender modifies combat.

Again... I know this is probably a very easy question, but I would appreciate any help.

Thanks much! :)

Ted

from Champions Complete page 134

IN COMBAT
When a character cannot perceive his opponent with any Targeting Sense, he is at ½ DCV. He’s also at ½ OCV in HTH Combat and 0 OCV in Ranged Combat.

As a Half Phase Action, a character can attempt a PER Roll to perceive a particular target with a Nontargeting Sense (at -5 if the Nontargeting Sense is Smell). If successful, then the penalties above are reduced (against that target only) to ½ OCV in HTH or Ranged Combat, and -1 DCV in HTH Combat (full DCV at Range). These effects last until the beginning of the character’s next Phase.

I'm embarrassed to ask this, but I could not find it in the 6th edition of Champions.[..]

I checked the book thoroughly (maybe not enough?) and could not find how not being able to perceive the attacker/defender modifies combat.

In the full Hero System rules, you're looking for 6E2 7, section "Lack of Senses in Combat." (Which says the same thing as Champions Complete, but, you know, maybe you want to reference it again later on.)

Thanks so much, Hyper-Man! I guess I missed that!  :)

It not so much the flash or darkness that causes the problem. That one only disabeles/locks out a sense. It is that usually you don't have an alternative targetting sense.

That is why this rule was placed in general sense rules rather then the Flash/Darkness rules.