VPP Limitations Question

Pattern Ghost

OK, trying to build a small VPP here. This is the concept:

The character can call upon the favor of a group of animal spirits and/or minor gods. Each entity confers a pre-defined set of abilities based on their nature. Each time the VPP is used, the character takes on some of the psych limits of the entity granting the power, and possibly other disads. (Up to here is easy.) Now, here's the catch: The character doesn't always get answered by the entity he's calling on. Sometimes, there's no answer, and sometimes another entity answers. For instance: If the character calls upon a warlike entity for some combat prowess, he might instead be answered by a trickster entity. Maybe the warlike entity is busy, or maybe the collective opinion is it's better the character use guile to escape. For whatever reason, the character doesn't always get what he requests in the form of aid, but most of the time he gets something. (Note: He doesn't get direct communication with these empowering entities. The concept I'm working with is that they are pretty non-verbal, either animal spirits or very primative gods who don't think in terms the character fully understands.)

Here's what I have so far:

Skill is PRE-Based.

Pool Cost: 30

Control Cost: 15

Advantages: None.

Disadvantages: IIF: Mask (-1/4); Side Effects (Minor, Always Occur throughout VPP Use. Psych Limits or other Disadvantages appropriate to entity.) (-1/2); Very Limited Powers: Pre-defined sets of powers by entity, no mix/matching, limited number of entities (5 max, haven't built these) (-1).

Last disadvantage: Successful Skill Roll Might result in another entity answering. I'm thinking this is about a step below No Choice of How Power Changes (-1/2), so maybe put it at -1/4? The GM would decide which powers activate in this case, and on the one hand, they might not always be useful, but on the other hand, none of the power sets are likely to be totally useless. The entities aren't likely to hose them, as the powers are a gift from them, but they a) might not understand the situation, B) might be the only entity available at the time, so just don't have the power set the situation demands, c) might know something about the situation the character doesn't, but they can't communicate with him anyway, so he doesn't know that.

Opinions?

I would give the last Limitation a -1/4 value, since, as you said, it is not a complete hosing, just something that the character will have to work harder to make useful.

I also like the idea, a lot. By expanding it just a bit (in size or scope), one could mimic a lot of special effects, such as channeling spirits of the dead or receiving the blessings of a larger pantheon (the Aesir or Olympians, for example).

Well done, Ghost!

Guest C_Zeree

I too like this idea.

For Many of the same reasons:

A character could become a totemic warrior calling up specific spirits.

A priest in touch with a large pantheon.

Or you could push it to the Final Fantasy extreme too.

Are you going to allow them to find other entities, make other contacts throughout the game?

Originally posted by C_Zeree

Are you going to allow them to find other entities, make other contacts throughout the game?

This is just a character concept I was dinking around with.

I think for the extremely limited powers disad, I'd keep it within a set of dieties/spirits pre-defined at character generation, but each one would have a list of appropriate abilities. The lists might be expanded upon within concept, but everything should still be pretty tightly focused and not too powerful. An example might be Anansi. You'd get some spider powers, like clinging, 360 degree sight, an entangle with lots of limitations (good for tying up normals) on one side, then on the other side, you'd get wisdom/cunning related powers, maybe some mental defense, PER bonuses, stealth powers, or whatever's appropriate.

I'm thinking in-game, you have two major limits with this: First, you only get to pick off of your pre-defined lists. Maybe there are other abilities available, but if they're not on the list, which is made out of game time, then your character simply doesn't know about them. Second, you have to swap out the entire pool to change powers to any great degree. You'd be unable to have your Chameleon totem's blending power and your Lion totems HKA and STR at the same time, for instance. This becomes more limiting if you want to (or need to) switch on the fly in combat, b/c it puts a big dent in your skill roll. I think those two reasons justify the -1 level of limited power selection, but in order for them to be limiting, each set of powers has to be tightly focused.

Thing about this guy, is he's scalable. I could use him in a pulp type game, or in a supers game just by adjusting his skills and stats and the size of his pool. He's generally intended to be an occult investigator, inspired by the odd crew in the Hellboy series.

Guest C_Zeree

Well if you don't give him the +1/2 to change in combat, it takes him "between one turn and one minute" to change his powers. Easily explained through ritual or meditation.

Making him roll the skill just seems to come in for the -1/4 where he could "botch," not calling anyone, or getting a wrong number as it were.

I'd make lists with numerous powers per entities. Usable in an out of combat. They couldn't choose all of them to use at once, so they have to make a good selection. It makes perfect sense stylistically not being able to mix and match your lion with your spider.

However, if you go with being able to change in combat...the character is going to have to buy up the skill super high in the beginning. To change out a whole pool is...what 60 AP (30 one way 30 the other) for a -6 penalty.

I do like the scalability. I might need to use something similar. :)

This is a cool power.

I used to have a power, additional not rules based, where it was really just a randomized any-other-power. You could declare it offensive, defensive, movement, or (I think, this was > 10 years ago) other. I never updated it, but this construct would work well for that, with a few more tweaks.

So then you could do Dial H for Hero! I liked that comic, when I was a kid.