You like me! You really like me!

Vanguard00

Havin' trouble with an idea, here.

I'm goin' with a pheromone/charisma type character, and I want him to be harder to hit, and I want the attacker to maybe not hit as hard, all because "it just doesn't seem right".

Extra DCV and Damage Reduction seem the order of the day, but I'm not sure how to simulate the fact that it's based on whether the attacker can overcome the urge to NOT hit the character, or NOT hit them as hard. Between having a cold and not having the book I'm comin' up with NOTHIN'.

Help, obvious or otherwise, would be appreciated.

Champions of the North, under 4th Edition, had something like this for the character Ambrosia.

Personally, I'd just buy Force Field and Extra DCV and then give it a limitation based on how often it will work -- and that's going to be more campaign specific than you might think.

For example, let's say that I want to build a technological version of this for my "GM-PC" in the campaign I'm running. Logic dictates that if the device doesn't work against males it's about a -1 limitation (about half the population). If however the ratio of female to male opposition in your campaign is not 50/50 you will need to adjust similarly.

As for the second concept -- the opponent being able to resist -- I've seen this done two ways. One is the same as the above; assign a limitation you find to be appropriate to the number of opponents that will be able to resist.

The other is to make use of an option under 5th Edition for Requires a Skill Roll -- "RSR Skill is subject to Skill vs Skill Contests". Make it Power versus "Resistance" and use Ego for characters without the skill.

It feels more like non-verbal AoE Mind Control to me than anything else, could be based on CON if you want the pheremone thing to be represented physically. The only NPC I had who was this way was regular Mind Control AoE, limitation only to not harm the person. You could make it less strong (only to decrease damage dealt). Given Mind Control is on a sliding scale anyway, if the GM is amenable you could have the scale dictate the degree they deal damage such as:

>EGO if inclined to limit damage anyway, drop as much damage as would not compromise the basic intent of stopping someone (which isn't going to be much of course)

EGO+10 will compromise their basic intent a little, not much, so killing is reduced to impairing, impairing to stunning, etc.

EGO+20 will compromise significantly, killing is reduced to stunning, etc.

EGO+30 won't harm under any circumstance

The main difference is you don't declare the level and have to reach it, it just works on each character per scale. Personally I run Mind Control this way most of the time anyway.