Semi-Real Illusions

Fedifensor

After a long break from HERO, I've been asked to run a superhero game.  One of the player concepts is a person who can create phantasms - illusions that are semi-real.  They are partially in the mind, but partially physical.  So, here's my first stab at it.

39  Phantasm:  Sight, Hearing, Mental and Touch Groups Images, +/-3 to PER Rolls, Costs Endurance Only To Activate (+1/4), Area Of Effect (8m Radius; +1/2) (59 Active Points); No Range (-1/2)

56  Phantom Manifestations:  Multipower, 56-point reserve

5f   It's Real To You:  Mental Illusions 11d6 (55 Active Points)

5f   Believable Attack:  Mental Blast 4d6+1, Indirect (Source Point is the same for every use, path is from Source Point to target; +1/4) (54 Active Points)

6f   Phantom Manipulation:  Telekinesis (30 STR), Indirect (Source Point is the same for every use, path is from Source Point to target; +1/4) (56 Active Points)

5f   Phantom Attack:  Blast 7d6+1, Variable Special Effects (Limited Group of SFX; +1/4), Indirect (Source Point is the same for every use, path is from Source Point to target; +1/4) (55 Active Points)

5f   Phantom Entanglement:  Entangle 3d6, 4 PD/4 ED, Indirect (Source Point is the same for every use, path is from Source Point to target; +1/4), Variable Special Effects (Limited Group of SFX; +1/4) (52 Active Points)

Basically, the character forms a phantasm out of his mind, which manifests near him (and has to stay within 8m).  He can make the phantasm more real to a person, stun the person with an illusory attack from the phantasm, make the phantasm solid enough to apply physical force or damaging force, or even manifest protoplasm in a form consistant with the illusion to restrict their movement.  I theoretically could have applied additional limitations regarding the effects only coming only from the phantasm, but I figure we can handle that with roleplaying.

So, is this the right way to go?

Looks good to me, you could potentially add the limitation Linked to the Multipower.

Also, the multipower is limited in that you can only focus on one person at a time with its effects, whereas everyone could see the images but not be affected by what they see.

Can you describe what they would use the power for?  That will help others to provide better feedback!

In my new campaign one of my characters is named Facade (a way of behaving or appearing that gives other people a false idea of your true feelings or situation)  I had planned for him/her to have Mental Illusions but I like the phantasm (images) part of your build!! 

Well, we added another multipower slot...

4f  It's Real To Everyone Near Me:  Mental Illusions 9d6, Area Of Effect Nonselective (8m Radius; +1/4) (56 Active Points); No Range (-1/2)

Note that it is nonselective, and the character is in the radius.  Though extremely unlikely (20 EGO, 10 pts mental defense), there is a potential for the character to believe his own illusion is real!

The game hasn't started yet, so we're still ironing out the details.  However, the character appears to be a drug user who is rarely in his right mind.  The real story is that he is an undercover cop, who is an expert at establishing a convincing cover identity.  His powers expand on what he was doing before he got them...though that's just the starting point.

Should your entangle be vs DMCV or are you aiming more for something "physical" the target is fighting through, for example, they see an image of a Druid casting entangle, so the grass grows longer and stronger trapping them.

Vs the same image but its all in their mind so they must use mental powers to break free...

Another note here, when creating the illusion is the player visible to his targets but standing beside the image or within 8 M of the image he/she is creating?

How does a villain fight back does he have to target the player's image or the actual player character?

Let me give a different example...

I create a character who can use Telekinesis, I drape a cloak around the Telekinesis and have the "force" fight another super.  As long as I have line of sight I can maintain the TK Force character attacking, but it doesn't take body or stun damage and the character creating the Visual Effect is not close enough to be hit or take damage.

How would you defeat me? Capture me etc...

Should your entangle be vs DMCV or are you aiming more for something "physical" the target is fighting through, for example, they see an image of a Druid casting entangle, so the grass grows longer and stronger trapping them.

Vs the same image but its all in their mind so they must use mental powers to break free...

The physical part of the power is physical, and the mental part reacts to the target's expectations of what should happen.  So, if the grass grows longer and traps the target, there is an actual physical substance (dream-stuff, protoplasm, or the like) that restrains the target.  It might not be as strong as if an actual druid entangled the target with plants, but because the target believes that is what happened, it's just as tough for the target to break out.

Another note here, when creating the illusion is the player visible to his targets but standing beside the image or within 8 M of the image he/she is creating?

How does a villain fight back does he have to target the player's image or the actual player character?

Let me give a different example...

I create a character who can use Telekinesis, I drape a cloak around the Telekinesis and have the "force" fight another super.  As long as I have line of sight I can maintain the TK Force character attacking, but it doesn't take body or stun damage and the character creating the Visual Effect is not close enough to be hit or take damage.

How would you defeat me? Capture me etc...

First off, the character has to remain within 8" of the images, because that is the size of the area of effect.  Second, they aren't invisible - at best, they can try to hide within the illusion, but there's a roll to see through those.  That means foes are likely to see the character.  Third, if they do see the character...he doesn't have Invisible Power Effects.  He does have Indirect, so the blasts or entangle won't come directly from him, but people watching will see him concentrate, and perhaps make some sort of motion in order to direct the attack.

• 3 months later...

Sounds like this guy might get very confused himself about what's real and what's not.

You're Not Real to Me: (Total: 50 Active Cost, 25 Real Cost) Desolidification , Costs Endurance Only To Activate (+1/4) (50 Active Points); Conditional Power Only for interactions with a specific character, object, or phenomenon (-1) (Real Cost: 25)

This power represents the illusionist deciding that a specified character isn't really there. That character and the illusionist then cease to be real to each other; neither's powers effect the other, they can pass through one another, etc. The illusionist could also decide that a wall isn't real and thus pass through it, or that a building isn't really on fire and thus the disbelieving illusionist would not be burned.

The illusionist may only "disbelieve" one thing at a time out of their personal reality, so if a brick has been vainly swinging a lamp post through where the illusionist is they may hand the weapon off to another brick and say "here, you try!" and the second brick might hit. The illusionist could disbelieve the light post and then no one can hit with it, but then both bricks would be able to run up and punch the illusionist.

Lucius Alexander

Denies being a phantasm created by a palindromedary