Golden Oldies

FenrisUlf

Having recently started what bids fair to be a vigorous thread concerning the old _Normals Unbound_, I'm curious. Which other of the older (4th ed.) books do you folks enjoy?

Myself, I've always had a warm spot for _Kingdom of Champions_ and _Horror Enemies_. Especially Kingdom, as there's been so many badly-done English heroes in the comics over the years, it was a joy to see something *new* done with them. And _Horror Enemies_, well... they were just cool. Especially the Manitous and the Hell-Raisers, probably my all-time favorite magical Champs villains.

Any of you have any favorites?

Sourcebooks-

Strikeforce, as it showed me what a Champs campaign could be. I can't say enough about this book.

Golden age of Champions 1 &2, I always wished there had been at least a section of non light hearted characters but found it useful when I ran a ww2 campaign recently.

Target earth or perhaps it was Invasian earth, a sb on the invasian storyline in a Champs campaign that was used on and off for years.

Mystic Masters, which i found very interesting to read but too alien for my players to get into.

Organizations book 1 & 2, with the Circle from #1 and the Blood from #2 standing out.

Kingdom of Champions, I always enjoy Phillip Masters writing and it was an interesting take on how another country would view superheroes.

Adventures-

Watchers of the Dragon, The martial arts sub-campaign that gave the team martial artist a really great plot to follow up and made many of the players rethink their choice of character type.

To Serve and Protect, a enjoyable adventure.

The Coriolis Effect, about the same as above but with characters that clicked with my players so they stayed around long after we'd played the adventure.

The Great Supervillain Contest, ran as more of a Star trekish Captain Kirk and Lincoln vs Hitler and Genghis Khan , pawns of the gods kind of thing.

There were others but I'm tapped.

Sourcebooks:

Aaron Allston's Strike Force. 'Nuff said.

Anything related to MA. Ninja Hero, Ultimate Martial Artist, Watchers of the Dragon.

The Zodiac Conspiracy. An interesting themed supervillain group with an intriguing leader.

Adventures:

Day of the Destroyer. Really loved that adventure.

Anything with Seeker on the cover. I really miss him. :(

To Serve and Protect. Even though I never got the chance to actually run the adventure, the Protectors are a regular feature of every Champions campaign I run.

Coriolis Effect. Excellent adventure with great NPCs. Plus, I really love Glenn Johnsonn's art.

Target Hero and VOICE of Doom.

RE: Strikeforce. Hardly a week goes by that I'm not reminded on these boards how stupid I was to buy European Enemies instead of Strikeforce the one time I saw it for sale...

RE: Favorite 4th Ed products.

No order implied.

Champions of the North. Some of my favorite CU characters under 4th come from this book -- I generally used Leaper instead of Foxbat.

Champions in 3-D. Although I didn't run what is generally considered the book's best scenario (I despise the horror genre) I'm a fan of counterfactual analysis (AKA "alternate history") so I used it as a launching pad.

Normals Unbound. An interesting book with good characters -- but with some noteworthy inconsistencies in the writeups.

Serve & Protect. This adventure plays well even when your PC's are villains :D

CLOWN/Classic Organizations. I realize I'm in the minority here, but to me CLOWN is one of the things that makes the CU the CU instead of "just another DC/Marvel one-off".

Hmm ... that's a toughy for me...

For Sourcebooks, I'm a sucker for the Organizations books, especially Blood & Dr. McQ and Primus & Demon. Super Agents was also something nifty (I liked the Quest homage in it). I'll also have to jump on the bandwagon and say Strikeforce kicks major boot-ay :)

As far as adventures ... I rarely use them for anything besides unique characters, but the ones I liked were Target: Hero, To Serve & Protect, Corolisis Effect (loved the Arcanes) and the Island of Dr. Destroyer. On the other hand, I also converted over a TON of V&V stuff many moons ago and used those characters as well.

I just wish that some of those old modules were available as either a free DL or a significantly cheaper DL ... I'd love to be able to look at a few books that I've never seen before :)