Question with a character build

Pythagoras

Hi all. I'm currently working on a character for an online game. We did sort of a random draw for character archtypes and I got the brick, which is cool cause I've never run one before.

So anyway, I've got an idea and I was looking for some help in pulling it off. I figured I'd base an aspect of him off the Hulk. Specifically that he gets more powerful as he gets angrier until he becomes uncontrollable.

My plan is to buy him basic brick stats and defenses, and along with that he has two disads,

Enraged: When innocent people are harmed, go 11-, recover 8-

Beserk: When people close to him are killed, go 14-, recover 8-

Now my plan was to buy him extra strength and Def 'Only while Enraged'. Then, buy even more strength and Def 'Only while Enraged and Berserk'. I think the GM will like the idea of having a ready Villian constantly with the group just waiting to be brought out. (Heck, I fully expect to see at least one session involving some badguy tricking him into 'Hulk-ing' out and leaving the team to stop him.) I figured this was the best way to go.

But after looking at it, I'm not sure. I mean this works, but it seems kinda clumsy. Plus, theirs always the chance that he could watch his friends die, get really mad, but fail his roll and not go nuts which seems wrong to me.

So I figured I'd come to the experts :) Anyone see a better way to achieve the desired affect? Also, any advise on running a brick? So far my Champions career has consisted of 2 martial artists and a Powered Armor, so this is a pretty big change of pace.

Hey, this is just off the top of my head, but how about buying an Aid to whatever characteristics you want, with a trigger "When Innocents or allies hurt", with a side effect of a transformation attack that makes the hero a bezerk hero..

So every time an ally or innocent is hurt, he gets stronger , automatically. And every time he gets stronger, he gets closer to losing control. Buy the side effect with the advantage "Partial Transform", maby.

OH OH OH!! Or you could buy it as a Transformation attack on self, with trigger, into some hulking monstrosity like Grond, and buy it with the advantage "Partial Transform"!!!

No side effects needed!

-CraterMaker

Originally posted by CraterMaker

OH OH OH!! Or you could buy it as a Transformation attack on self, with trigger, into some hulking monstrosity like Grond, and buy it with the advantage "Partial Transform"!!!

No side effects needed!

-CraterMaker

That is illegal; you may not use Transform on yourself, such abilities should be bought as Multiform.

My suggestion is thus: don't give him enraged/berserk, but instead give him Aid, with half (or whatever) limited with Side Effect: Immediately Becomes Enraged, recover ?- and the other half with Side Effect: Berserk, recover ?-. Then, add on the limit Power Must Be Activated at Half When X Occurs And Full When Y Occurs, and May Not Activate Otherwise. I'd call this a -1 1/2, but talk to your GM.

If you want to get really complex, Multiform with two extra forms (enraged boy and berserk boy), with Accidental Change. I don't advise this, however.

Illegal? Like cops bustin' down my door?

(bustin' your chops here, don't get mad..)

Yeah, yeah.. I know Transform on yourself is frowned on. So definately, that second option I suggested is waaay out without GM's explicit approval..

But I as a GM would allow the first, the aid with the side effect of transforming the character bezerk. It doesn't add any powers to the character, or make him tougher, and it seems (from this seat) to be a fairly elegant solution.

-CraterMaker

Maybe build the extras as RSR:Rage junkie (Ego based) and take enraged as a side effect of using your rage junkie skill you make your self angry to use your boost (Growth,AID,Succor or what ever) and run the risk of going bonzo and buy the enraged and beserk as regular disadds afterall you do have "anger issues" I think I put some stuff about a low power beserker on the fantasy hero area under "Riding the red pony"

Personally I think the build as stated is fine. If you're worried about his inflicting fatal wounds, I'd add a zero-point disad along the lines of "won't kill loved ones", so that he can inflict very high STUN damage but shies away from killing, which is also rather Hulk-like (at least in some incarnatiosn of Hulk).

Also, you could drop buying up defenses in his worst states, so that he's easier to bring down.

Me, I'd go with Multiform - it would give me the opportunity to tinker with three character sheets instead of just one :D

Thing is, the various forms don't have to be radically different - my brother's character in my campaign has four forms, which he shifts between by taking pills (anyone remember "Mr. Terrific" from '60's TV?). They all have the same basic characteristics, skills, and disads, but one is a speedster, one's a brick, one's a mentalist, and one is just a genius biochemist.

You could build three forms - the basic hero, the enraged hero, the berserk hero. Make the Multiform Triggered, and then you can tailor each just how you like without having to jam weird limitations on a bunch of brick powers. The one wierdness is you may need to have each form buy Multiform, but I'm not clear how on that. My brother gets around this by making the Multiform run off limited-time charges, he automatically reverts after a few minutes.