Need urgent help to build a "trapping" villain

Opale

Heya !

I'm going to Gm soon, and I realize I NEVR prepared one of my iconic villains, that killed one of my PC twice (in his background !).

Name : DeathtTrap

Archetype : Martial artist / Gadgeteer

Fact is, I'd need example of powers that are triggered, like traps, involving bombs, poison, and all kind of cruel stuff, that are made with sticky, time limit, or damage over time adders

As I was never good with gadets, would you mind, fellow heroites, to give me a hand for that please ?

Trapped Opale :/

I'll  happily give you a hand. Fair warning your probably using 6th, and my examples will be 5th. But quick question as I prepare examples. These traps, are they something he carries on him like a iof or are they something he sets up like the old trap door over spikes?

Here's a little quick something I whipped up in HD that should be quite nasty.  And by 'nasty' I mean 'lethal':

Hydrofluoric Acid Mist:  Drain BODY 1 point, Area Of Effect (1m Radius; +1/4), Trigger (Activating the Trigger requires a Zero Phase Action, Trigger requires a Turn or more to reset; Stepping into the target hex; +1/4), Penetrating (x2; +1), Damage Over Time (30 damage increments, damage occurs every Segment, can be negated by washing the stuff off; +5) (22 Active Points); 1 Charge (-2), IIF (-1/4)

The special effect of the trigger can be a tripwire or a photocouple

I set up a series of traps in an underground vampire crypt, consisting of a hexagonal central room with five suites of crypt rooms (A through E) radiating outward.  The big bad had kidnapped over a dozen innocents and put them into random locked coffins in the crypt, of course with regular vampires in some of the other coffins.  (Coffins were of course lead-lined to stop the heroes from just x-raying to see which ones held hostages.)  Here are my notes:

The vampire members of the Sang Noir gang make their home in some crypts hidden beneath the Temple Ohabei Shalom Cemetery.  Specifically, they are entered through the Steinberg mausoleum.  Past the rows of burial tombs (stacked three tall) is a raised section with a statue of a winged fallen angel; this appears to be relatively newer construction, and a perceptive person would see scrape marks on the floor that reveal this splits and slides aside to reveal stone steps leading down.  (The floor of the crypts below is 13m belowground.)

The arm of the angel is askew enough to show that turning it will unlock the raised section, allowing both halves to be pushed aside (requiring 15 STR), revealing stone steps going down.  The walls are stone with embedded skulls and bones; gas flames burn inside some skulls, with light spilling out through the eyes, noses, and mouths to dimly light the passage.  At the bottom, the floor is obscured by several inches of mist and the chambers beyond are all uncomfortably cold.  (Some may perceive through the mist numerous small square steel vent covers set into the stone floor.)  The central room and crypt rooms all have locked iron doors (6 DEF, 6 BODY), each with a small barred open window.  They are -4 to Lockpicking to unlock. 

The underground crypts have wards etched into other embedded skulls that block scrying anywhere within [Darkness to Clairsentience Sight/Hearing, Personal Immunity], and stop teleportation (1x) through any walls/floor/ceiling (5 PD, 10 ED, 7 BODY).  Note that teleportation within rooms is still allowed.  Some skulls hide cameras and microphones as well as speakers (so du Coudray can taunt the heroes).

The large hexagonal room in the center is intricately finished in white (the same bone motif) and has six skull-adorned columns leading up to a vaulted ceiling (7m at the peak, with several holes in it) from which hangs an intricate bone chandelier burning natural gas, making this room brighter than the crypts.  Dozens of bats hang from the ceiling or flutter about, and rats can be heard scrabbling around in the mist. 

The crypts and side rooms are 4m tall, with the same skull and bone embedded walls, chilling cold, mist-covered floors, and gas-lit skulls.

Beneath the stone block floor throughout the entire underground structure run relatively small (3” x 3”) stone pipes that connect to vents that go up to the surface.  There are slightly larger holes in the ceiling of the main chamber and crypt rooms that allow bats to come and go.  (This is how the vampires usually make their way down there; the mausoleum entry is mainly to infrequently bring “cattle” down.)

The entry hallway to each suite of crypt rooms has a 1m3 block of reinforced concrete (8 PD, 10 ED, 11 BODY, weighing 2.7 tons, requiring 35 STR to lift) overhead that can be triggered remotely to deadfall.  These blocks are also warded against teleportation.

Nerve Gas:  About 6 Segments after the heroes enter the crypts, the rats will make a high-pitched screech and then stop making noise completely.  This is due to the release of nerve gas [blast 1d6, NND (LS: Nerve Gas; +1), Does BODY (+1), Damage Over Time (12 increments, every other Segment; +4), AoE (floor surface of large area; +2), Constant (+½), 0 END (+½)] that will affect anyone standing on the floor without the appropriate LS.   After du Coudray’s one-minute deadline, that same nerve gas will be pumped up into the coffins, so hopefully the heroes have rescued everybody by then.

Coffin Traps:  These can vary from containing radioactive waste [blast 2d6, NND (LS: rad), Does BODY, AoE 4m Radius, Constant, Uncontrolled, 0 END, No Range] to firing drugged darts [Drain OCV 4d6, AoE Accurate] to a frag bomb [blast 8d6, AoE Explosion].

Grav Pit Traps:  4m deep pits with a gravitic generator at the bottom and spikes along the sides.  There is at least one per crypt suite.  [TK 20 STR (30 AP; 6 DEF) + KA 2d6, AP, AoE 1m radius]

Crypt suite A has four acid sprayers in the ceiling each with a 3m range.  [RKA 1d6 (vs. rED), Penetrating, Constant, Uncontrolled (removed with water), 0 END, AoE Accurate for 1d6 Phases at SPD 4; 52 AP, 10 DEF].  Only one sprayer can be used in a given Phase.

Crypt suite B has four flamethrowers in the walls (nozzles through skull mouths) which can target any individual in a forward 60-degree arc at SPD 4.  [RKA 3½d6, AoE 2m Accurate; 60 AP, 12 DEF]. Only one flamethrower can be used in a given Phase.

Crypt suite C’s main room has a solid rock ceiling that can be dropped (by setting off explosive charges on the supporting columns every 2m along the walls).  This will be triggered as soon as someone saves the hostage in one of the back rooms, with solid armored panels (10 DEF Hardened, 7 BODY) dropping to block each doorway as well as the inlets for the fireplace and piano.  The solid-block ceiling will drop 1m every 3 Segments, with each triggering causing a ½d6 KA Explosion centered on each column.  The block weighs about 250 metric tons, requiring 67 STR to lift, and is 6 rPD, 10 rED, 13 BODY.  If allowed to drop straight down all the way, it does 13d6 crushing damage every Turn.  Note that it will not crush the two back rooms, though the block (being 2m tall) will block off the doorways, trapping anybody inside.

Crypt suite D has reflective panels hidden behind skulls and bones in the wall, along with a series of six lasers that, when activated, create a maze of laser beams [RKA 1d6, 2x Penetrating, Constant, AoE (special); 52 AP, 10 DEF].  To avoid touching a beam requires being stationary or making a DEX roll for every meter of movement.  As beams burn through skulls and bones and bounce off reflective panels behind them, the number of criss-crossing beams increases, making the DEX roll more difficult.  It starts off at -1, with the penalty increasing by 1 every 3 Segments up to a maximum of -5.

Crypt suite E will begin filling with a heavier-than-air flammable gas as soon as the entryway stone block is dropped (with the floor vents being closed off at the same time).  The gas will get ½m deeper every 3 Segments.  When it reaches the gas-burning skulls 2m up, it will explode, causing RKA 4d6 throughout the suite.  Note that if the entryway block is breached or removed, the flammable gas will flow out into the main chamber, decreasing the rate at which it fills the area but spreading the damage to any open areas affected once any flame is applied to the gas.

Assuming were talking about traps he carries with him here are a couple of examples. To save trouble I'll point out here that these powers are trigger, iaf, and 4 charges.

To prevent heroes from barging through doors or walls at him, he has created the Doorslayer trap. He attaches it to the ceiling or wall, and it aims a laser at the door. When the door moves, a trimian tipped spear fires.

40 eb phy 10d6 (50) ap+1/2 pent+1/2

To deal with heroes charging at him he has the Python trap. putting it on the ground holograms make it look like the floor beneath it. When heroes step on the pressure plate metallic coils trap them. These coils often wrap around the heroes throat choking them if they don't have hard neck coverings.

29 Entangle 5d6 (50 backlash +1/2

4 ha 2d6 -1/2 nnd +1/2 Linked to entangle -1/2

Here's another alternative that's less lethal but can be entertaining:

Knockout Gas:  Blast 2d6, Area Of Effect (4m Radius; +1/4), Constant (+1/2), Attack Versus Alternate Defense (LS: Self-contained breathing or holding your breath; All Or Nothing; +1) (27 Active Points); 1 Continuing Charge lasting 1 Minute (-1), IIF (-1/4)

Real cost should be around 12 points.  Change the area-effect to fit the room you intend to trap the PCs in, dump the PCs into it, and start the gas flowing.  Genre-savvy PCs who don't have self-contained breathing will hold their breath while trying to get out of the trap room; make sure the DEF and BODY of the walls are enough to make punching and blasting their way out very slow going.  Heroes attempting to hold their breath will literally knock themselves out trying to escape if you've reinforced the walls right.  The villain can then vent the room and collect them at their leisure.

An amusing variant you can throw at the PCs if none of them have anything like "Detect Molecular Composition" or Smell group with Discriminatory &/or Analyze: make the gas you pump into the room non-toxic.  The PCs may still hold their breath while trying to get out, and still knock themselves out in the attempt.  Why work at taking them out when they may be willing to take themselves out for you? :D

For a campaign where 10-12 DC attacks are the norm:

Trap Ball:  Barrier 10 rPD / 10 rED, 11 BODY, 4m long, 2m tall, 0.5m thick, Configurable (can open ports to let in poison gas, acid, a bucket o' scorpions, etc.; +1/4).  (60 AP); OAF (-1), Restricted Shape (globe; - 1/4), 4 Charges (-1).  18 RP.  Note that spraying in, say, segerge's Hydrofluoric Acid Mist would also slowly eat through the ball.

Alternately, you can make it 11 rPD / 11 rED, 8 BODY or 12 rPD / 12 rED, 5 BODY for the same cost.

Poison Gas Grenade:  RKA 1d6, AoE (2m radius; +1/4), Constant (+1/2), NND (LS: poisons or doesn't breathe; +1), Does BODY (+1), Personal Immunity (+1/4).  (60 AP); OAF (-1), 4 Continuing Charges of 1 Minute Duration (-1/4).  27 RP.

Bucket O' Scorpions:  Summon 64x 52-point Scorpions, Loyal (trained; +1/2).  (60 AP); OAF (-1), 1 Charge (-2).  15 RP.  Note that he could put 16 into each Trap Ball, and have them trained not to sting if the person inside remains relatively stationary.